• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Coolpix 8400 - is it still worth a punt? (1 Viewer)

LP birder

Hi all.

Just after a bit of advise, please? I have a Swarovski ATS 80HD with 20-60x zoom eyepiece and may have an opportunity to get hold of a reasonably priced Nikon Coolpix 8400. I know this camera is a bit dated now, but I'd be interested to know whether anyone would still recommend it. I currently have an SRB-Griturn tube adaptor with a 28mm thread from my 4500 days; would I need an additional piece of kit to get this connected to my set up and will my set up work with this camera or would I need a different eyepiece? I'm keen on the idea of having an EV and had considered the Panasonic lumix G1, but it seems that the kit lens is not really compatible with the 20-60x on the Swarovski.

Thanks in advance,
Jamie.

Hi all.

Just after a bit of advise, please? I have a Swarovski ATS 80HD with 20-60x zoom eyepiece and may have an opportunity to get hold of a reasonably priced Nikon Coolpix 8400. I know this camera is a bit dated now, but I'd be interested to know whether anyone would still recommend it. I currently have an SRB-Griturn tube adaptor with a 28mm thread from my 4500 days; would I need an additional piece of kit to get this connected to my set up and will my set up work with this camera or would I need a different eyepiece? I'm keen on the idea of having an EV and had considered the Panasonic lumix G1, but it seems that the kit lens is not really compatible with the 20-60x on the Swarovski.

Thanks in advance,
Jamie.

Hi Jamie

I use a Kowa 823 scope with an 8400, so wouldn't be able to comment on the swaro attachments however,I have tried a Nikon P5100, Nikon P6000 and Lumix G1 yet still none of these compere to the 8400.
For close range stuff I shoot in the green macro zone (albeit with some vignetting) and even at long range (100m) and full zoom it produces perfectly acceptable record shots.
If you are interested there are more shots in my gallery or on my blog most of whchch (90%+) have been taken with my 8400.
I even bought a second one as insurance last year because as they are discontinued they won't be around forever and as yet I haven't found a decent replacement.
Hope this helps.

Hi
I have always liked the results from the 8400. It seems a real purists secret weapon. I think that if I was offered one cheap enough I would buy one.

Martin your shots of the Spurn birds are testament to it's quality, particularly the cracking light on the Redstart.

Jamie,
I was using the 8400 again this weekand it's a great camera. The rotatable screen is worth it alone. Make sure it has the IR Remote Control and you'll need a spare battery. I wish I had a backup in case mine packs it in. Neil.

Thanks, guys for the responses.

You have some excellent shots there Martin, which is encouraging.

Neil - are you able to comment further with regards to whether my set up would be ok to use with this camera? Would I be able to shoot in the green macro zone? What additional adaptor would I need?

Thanks again,
Jamie.

Nikon doesn't make a threaded adaptor to connect to the 8400 lens thread so you would need something like a SRB-Griturn swing away adaptor that would use the tripod mount thread on the 8400. I had the first SRB-Griturn adaptor but found it was a little too "flexible" for good use with the 8400 which is fairly heavy in comparison with most digiscoping cameras. I believe their latest swingaway adaptors are more compact and heavier duty so may work well with this camera. It is a great camera.

Thanks, guys for the responses.

You have some excellent shots there Martin, which is encouraging.

Neil - are you able to comment further with regards to whether my set up would be ok to use with this camera? Would I be able to shoot in the green macro zone? What additional adaptor would I need?

Thanks again,
Jamie.

Jamie,
You won't be able to use the Green Macro zone with the zoom eyepiece unless you set up with a special cut down adapter or you can slide the camera into the eyepiece. I use the 30x and the 45x which allow this.
Neil.

Hi all
Nikon's UR-14 adapter works with 8400. For my setup I add a Kood 52-58mm step ring and then the Nikon FSA-3. Scope is the Nikon 82 ED

ATB
Tom

Attachments

• DSCN1837 a.jpg
    DSCN1837 a.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCN3359 030509.jpg
    DSCN3359 030509.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 279
I have kowa 883, zoom 20-60x and DA10. Is there an adapter to attach coolpix 8400?
Is it a good camera for the kowa.

Regards,
Mariusz

Hi all,

I decided to go for the 8400 and after having to wait for a few days for the UR-E15 adaptor to arrive, I was finally able to give the camera a test yesterday. Attached are my first few efforts. I'm reasonably pleased with them, although I'm unsure whether the photo's are coming out with a slight yellowy hue (the Stonechat pic was brightened a little in photoshop). Any advice?

Regards,
Jamie.

Attachments

• stoney.jpg
    stoney.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 326
  • Thistle.jpg
    Thistle.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 190
Hi all,

I decided to go for the 8400 and after having to wait for a few days for the UR-E15 adaptor to arrive, I was finally able to give the camera a test yesterday. Attached are my first few efforts. I'm reasonably pleased with them, although I'm unsure whether the photo's are coming out with a slight yellowy hue (the Stonechat pic was brightened a little in photoshop). Any advice?

Regards,
Jamie.

Jamie,
Nice images. The Stonechat looks great. The WB on the 8400 can be a bit tempromental. You can try selecting the WB for your conditions ( not Auto ) or setting it up with a white card.
Neil

Right i have a leica 77 with 20-60 zoom lens and im looking at buying the coolpix 8400 with the Nikon UR-E14 Adapter then a step down ring of 52-28mm connected then to my FOCUS DA1 ADAPTER from my coolpix 4500.
Will this work or will the vinaigrette be too much.

hope you can help, thanks

Craig

Does this setup put pressure on the eyepiece?

Craig
There is some pressure purely because of the law of gravity. But it is very little for the length the time the camera is on the eye piece. My camcorder setup puts more pressure on the eye piece and again not put that much pressure.
ATB
Tom
PS sorry I cannot comment on your setup, but hope it works out for you.

Attachments

• DSCN2121 a.jpg
    DSCN2121 a.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Thanks very much Tom

Craig
There is some pressure purely because of the law of gravity. But it is very little for the length the time the camera is on the eye piece. My camcorder setup puts more pressure on the eye piece and the camcorder again not that much.
ATB
Tom
PS sorry I cannot comment on your setup, but hope it works out for you.

first picture

Finally I got 8400.
I have spotted a snipe, it was really dark as usual in Nov., but I am quite satisfied with the picture taken from a car, tripod was unstable. (Kowa 883, zoom)

Regards,
Mariusz

Attachments

• M1761kszuk.jpg
    M1761kszuk.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 309
Finally I got 8400.
I have spotted a snipe, it was really dark as usual in Nov., but I am quite satisfied with the picture taken from a car, tripod was unstable. (Kowa 883, zoom)

Regards,
Mariusz

Hi
This picture surely does show that this camera, whilst an oldie, is very much a goodie. What I suggest now (rather than waiting for any summer sunshine) is booking an exotic holiday with the excuse of a exploratory nature needing to be undertaken.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back