• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon HGs (1 Viewer)

galazie1

Now I obtained my pair. Nikon HG 8x32 and 8x42. I love them both. Best focusers ever. Beautiful warm colour tone. Very well made. High precision. Unbelievable, ridiculous quality for the price. Alpha optics for $300-ish each

Attachments

• IMG20220425212819.jpg
    IMG20220425212819.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 126
Now I obtained my pair. Nikon HG 8x32 and 8x42. I love them both. Best focusers ever. Beautiful warm colour tone. Very well made. High precision. Unbelievable, ridiculous quality for the price. Alpha optics for $300-ish each
Yes I agree. I'm still using my 8x32s, never let me down and only ever needed to have the hinge tightened while it was still in warranty. Oh yes the original rainguard broke in the middle and I put new rubber eyecups on them.

Attachments

• PXL_20220425_173757984.jpg
    PXL_20220425_173757984.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 74
Had two pairs of these over the years the 10x42 HG were really one of the best and the focuser was the best just perfect.

8x32 HG side by side with 8x32 EDG.

The EDG is technically better optics. But to me the HG delivers a more sensational image. Like a vintage photo compared to a modern one. More mellow color tone compared to the white/cold tone of the EDG. Similar clarity. Similar contrast. Sharpness and internal reflection is better in the EDG, but not significant enough to outweigh the advantage of the HG. In shade, in a park or a forest, the HG gives a more soulful image. In the open, the EDG image gives more clarity thanks to the better control of reflections.

The HG is heavy but compact. The EDG is lighter but larger, not much smaller than a 42mm. Overall I prefer the feel of the HG in my hand.

I am sure the EDG wins with night time images. But for daytime use, the HG wins for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20220430_115046.jpg
    IMG_20220430_115046.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 116
I agree. Have owned both the EDG and HG. I prefer the HG. Much brighter and just as sharp as the EDG. Much lighter and affordable also.

I recently returned from a trip visiting friends having forgotten to pack a pair of bins (I know, how is this possible!) but was lucky that a pair of Nikon 10 x 32 HGs was made available for me to use.

I was really impressed; edge to edge sharpness, good FOV, and enough eye relief for use with my glasses.

Against are the weight and size, a little flare, although this mostly vanished when used without glasses and it felt as though the rubber armour was coming away slightly in one spot.

On the whole I rate these as good as my usual pair of Zeiss 10 x 32 FLs although I was obviously not able to make a direct comparison.

Seems like everyone is comparing the older Nikon HG -L models and not the newer Monarch MHG's. I have an 8x32 HG-L, Nikon Edg II 8x32 and 8x42 and Monarch HG 8x42's. I would be interested in others comparisons of the MHG's to the HG-L and EDG models.

300-ish? About one third of the listed price here in Norway...😳

Seems like everyone is comparing the older Nikon HG -L models and not the newer Monarch MHG's. I have an 8x32 HG-L, Nikon Edg II 8x32 and 8x42 and Monarch HG 8x42's. I would be interested in others comparisons of the MHG's to the HG-L and EDG models.
All of them are excellent as far as I am concerned (HGs and EDGs), I have the original HG Nikon in multiple formats, and they are still an excellent glass (I am sure others who are more susceptible to CA would disagree). None ever needed service, focus is the same as when new. They are a bit heavy for some folks though.

I had the original ( lead glass ) 8x42 HG when they first came out. The focusing was so smooth and easy that when I used them mounted on a tripod for astronomy when looking towards the zenith they would come out of focus when I took my finger off the focus wheel just from gravity.

So everybody had them and loved them but nobody kept them?
Does anyone keep anything now? You only need to look at the excitement and lengthy threads generated on this forum whenever news of the latest “best new bins” is announced.

I was perfectly happy using the same pair of cheap 8 x 30 porros, acquired as a child, for years but now have more pairs of modern bins than I can possibly justify owning. I do, however, mostly use my Zeiss 10 x 32 fls these days; they may not be the best but are light, compact and good enough.

So everybody had them and loved them but nobody kept them?
Not everybody! :cool:
I still have my Premier 8X32. An excellent binocular and it seem to be built as the phrase goes, a tank. One could get one of these and go about their birding hobby for years with no need for another binocular. The precision feel of the focus may well be the best of any binocular to date.

5D192540-38B5-4245-BB17-23F81205DA50_1_201_a.jpeg

I still have my Premier 8X32. An excellent binocular and it seem to be built as the phrase goes, a tank. One could get one of these and go about their birding hobby for years with no need for another binocular. The precision feel of the focus may well be the best of any binocular to date.

I agree about the 8 x 32. I owned a pair for a few years but fell prey to that stupid impulse to get the “new best thing”. As a glasses wearer I think they were the most comfortable bins I’ve used apart from my Noctivids and as you say the focus feel is also one of the best I’ve experienced.

I should try to find a cheap used pair!

Apart from excessive CA and a little on the small side.
Pete.

Another 8x42 HG owner here! Fantastic binocular in its time and still today. As I recall Nikon was the first to deliver a flat field like this, Swaro, Zeiss and eventually Leica all followed in their footsteps. And the HG's give you a flat field without annoying distortions when you pan around as well.

I waited patiently and finally found a bino that was worth upgrading to over these - Zeiss SF 8x42. It's the first one that has the flat field, light weight (27oz), and smooth focuser of the HG. Transmission improvement from 89% in the HG to 92%. Same middle-body focus knob that I like (Swaro EL too high). Same smooth, easy tension focus knob (Swaro EL too stiff and asymmetric tension). HG does have a bit of false color, that's the only real fault of it.

In fact I see the NL Pure as sort of a copy or remake of the Nikon HG. Same contoured body. The focuser position and movement basically copying the HG. Same flat field. No annoying thumb undercuts. It's like a heavier HG with better glass.

Yes of course you do and probably every other sought out bin made the last 20 years, your inventory is simply amazing indeed !

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back