• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon MHG rubber over focuser loosening in spots (1 Viewer)

A2GG

Beth
United States
I bought the 8x30 MHG refurbished. I've had it for about 9 months now with no issues until this week.
I guess the glue has dried out and the rubber over the focuser is loose in a couple spots on the wheel.
I think it's going to get worse and dry out all the way around eventually.

I called Nikon the other day and they couldn't even give me a repair cost until they see it.
It's no longer under warranty. It had a six month warranty if I recall.

Anyone else have this issue with the MHG or any other binocular? I'm going to keep an eye on it. It's not giving me any issues at this time
when turning it. Underneath the rubber is smooth plastic, so I think it will be an issue if the rubber comes totally unglued and doesn't stay
put. Maybe it will stay put even if the glue dries out.

If it gets worse, can I just fix this myself with the appropriate type of glue? Or would you suggest sending it in for repair?

This kind of sucks already.

I'm pondering a second binocular at this point; thinking about Trinovid HD 8x32 (I miss Leica).
I'd like to have something built well for when stuff like this happens and you need to send one unit in for repair.

I changed my user name btw

I've had this happen with an Opticron binocular a long time ago and sent it in. They repaired it for free.
I wonder what Nikon would charge me for something like this. Anyway, I shouldn't try to fix it myself.
I don't want to cause any further issues. I'm hoping it continues to work fine despite the glue drying out.

Just wondering if anyone else may have experienced this same issue with their MHG or another binocular?
If so, were you able to continue to use the focuser without any real issue?

Thanks Peter. Did they keep it for long or send it back pretty quickly ?
Also, did it become unusable and it had to to be repaired ?
Or did you just want it repaired more for cosmetic reasons ?

I'm trying to avoid sending it in If the band will stay firmly on the wheel (even if not glued down anymore). If it works I won't worry about the cosmetics.

Last edited:
I do not recall the time involved but I thought it was longer than what little needed to be done required. The binocular was certainly usable but I have sufficient quality back-ups so its absence was no problem.

Any updates on the service?

I love the MHG for a lot of things. Great value, huge FOV, the list goes on. The long-term durability would be a concern for me. I had a refurb for a while and sold it for that reason. Hopefully Nikon took good care of you.

Hi Hoodie,
I never sent it in for service. I'll do that if/when it gets worse. So far it's holding up fine. It's still loose in the one spot, but it doesn't affect focusing so I don't let it bother me.

I do need to buy a secondary binocular just in case I need to send the Nikon in; it's a good idea to have a backup. I stupidly(!) sold my Swarovski CL 8x30 (original version) thinking I only needed the HG, but now I really regret selling the CL.
I really like the CL and miss it. I'm trying to find one to buy, but they're scarce now.

Did your HG have the same issue with the rubber on the focus wheel ?

I didn't have it long enough for it to give me any trouble. Maybe three months. I was going through a long phase of trying new stuff so I sold it to fund a Maven B2. Concerns about durability were part of that decision though, and I'd heard mixed reviews about Nikon's service.

When one buys a refurbished optic from Nikon, Warranty is 90 days, after that Nikon could charge for a new rubber covering on the focuser, however they likely will do the work for free and send the glass back. When one buys a brand new HG and it has problems, Nikon will take care of any problem (minus abuse) for free, under Warranty.
I have had the MHG 8X42 since inception, and it is used as my primary travel glass with no problems. It is a well made instrument.
Like other glass, one buys new for the Warranty, Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leupold, others? are exceptions.
If one does not want to buy a glass new, there are limitations. I have no problem paying for service on glass out of Warranty.

The rubber came unglued all around, so I just lifted it off.
The plate on the top also came off (cheap feeling and very thin plastic).

I put the rubber back over the wheel; it just slips over it. It stays put when you slip it back on.
It seems like I can use it no problem except the top is exposed (see second pic) and I need to make sure
no rain drops get in there. I can maybe glue the top back on or leave it.

Anyway, my secondary binocular (haven't purchased yet) will need to be better constructed.
I think maybe the next binocular should be my primary and the HG my secondary/compact option perhaps.

nikon focuser 1.jpg
nikon focuser 2.jpg

Last edited:
You did have a leica with rubber armor issues/separation from casing in the past from a previous thread.
Yes, after running cold water over the armor to clean it, the rubber separated in one small spot under the thumb ridge on one side (Ultravid).

With the HG all I was doing was focusing. I wonder if it was repaired in the past for the same problem and that’s why it was sold as refurbished. Another member told me his HG had the focuser rubber separate, got it fixed by Nikon and then it separated again.

I used it this morning with no issues thankfully; it stays on tightly and works fine, so I’m just going to leave it be.

I haven’t had any problems with mine. I think if this were to happen to me I would just glue it back on. That’s what Nikon would do anyway if you send it in.

I haven’t had any problems with mine. I think if this were to happen to me I would just glue it back on. That’s what Nikon would do anyway if you send it in.
So far I don’t feel it necessary to glue it on. I used it this morning again and the rubber doesn’t move at all. oddly, it feels better now than it did when just one spot was loose. It feels on snugly just like it was when first purchased. The top cap/plate is still off as you can see in the photos and I’m just going to leave it off. I brushed the dust off the rubber (lots of dust as you can see in the photos). It seems to grab dust easily.

The Nikon have a propensity to break more easily, it is not the optics the problem is everything else, the eyecups, the plastic, the wheel... I have regularly used two pairs of Nikon binoculars in all kinds of conditions and currently I prefer Vortex binoculars, especially for the warranty and after-sales service. I sent a pair of binoculars for repair to Nikon Canada and the cost of repair and shipping is prohibitive.

^^^ Some rubber compounds seem to attract and hold dust. :(
yep, and it can be annoying. I do like the focuser on the HG in general though; the smooth operation and quickness and also the grippy texture is helpful; it's just a bit sticky and attracts dust too easily. I wish the HG (and most binos) had an aluminum focus wheel with no rubber. I'd prefer an all metal wheel; they feel better to me and you don't have to worry about the rubber wearing or separating.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back