• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch Owners - Info needed (1 Viewer)

mrlimbo

Hi , im in the process of upgrading my Bushnell trophys now ive got it down to two pairs

Nikon Monarch 10x42
Pentax 10x42 DCF HR II

Now ive found lots of info on the Pentax but little on the Monarchs , now i need to know the following

What is the diopter setting like ?
If its the right eyepiece twist setup , does it move everytime you use the eyecups , like it does on my trophys !!!

Eyecups are they twist and lock ?
If so is there more than one locking position , if not do they gradualy move back down as you use them , like the trophys !

Lens caps
Are they attached ?

Are they a big improvement on Bushnell Trophys
Im guessing they are , but in which area's ?

Any advice/opinions also on these bins , would be great to read , also any other bins.
Many thanks

Hi , im in the process of upgrading my Bushnell trophys now ive got it down to two pairs

Nikon Monarch 10x42
Pentax 10x42 DCF HR II

Now ive found lots of info on the Pentax but little on the Monarchs , now i need to know the following

What is the diopter setting like ?
If its the right eyepiece twist setup , does it move everytime you use the eyecups , like it does on my trophys !!!

Eyecups are they twist and lock ?
If so is there more than one locking position , if not do they gradualy move back down as you use them , like the trophys !

Lens caps
Are they attached ?

Are they a big improvement on Bushnell Trophys
Im guessing they are , but in which area's ?

Any advice/opinions also on these bins , would be great to read , also any other bins.
Many thanks

Hi mrlimbo

Firstly, I am not a binoculars expert but I do have the Monarch 10x42s.

1) The dioptor setting is a twist ring on the right eyepiece and stays set until you move it, neither too stiff not too loose.

2)The eyecups twist but they don't lock, again not too stiff nor too loose. They seem to stay where you want them which in my case is fully out.

3)Dioptor lenscaps are an attached one piece affair. The objective ones are loose and I lost one.

4)Can't say because I've never used Bushnell Trophys.

I really like these bins; they are lightweight and let a lot of light in. The ergonomics are good too, very comfortable to use for long periods. When I bought them, we tried several pairs and chose the best. There does seem to be a degree of variability so if you can I would suggest you do the same.

Good luck in your choice.

Joanne

Monarchs are bright and sharp in the middle. I think they are an improvement over Trophys.

Lens caps...lens caps...I have a box full of them. What are they for?

Thanks everyone for all the info , so it seems the Monarchs are pretty basic in most apects compared to the Pentax , i find that rather surprising !
Hmm decisions.....decisions ???

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back