• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid Review - Birdwatching Magazine (1 Viewer)

A man in a fancy Swarovski outfit at a local Cabela's grand opening last summer told me, DO NOT ! buy a 10X50 SV for less than the then (sale price) of $2499 or you won't have a warranty, so I listened to him. In December I then see them on the web for $1899 from one of Swarovski's top dealers, moral of the story, forget the MAP bullshit and buy optics as cheap as you can as long as they originate in the USA. I can tell you that the smaller Swarovski dealers I spoke to were severely pissed about the blowout and said they were having to sell at cost to get rid of what they had left. This time around I said to hell with the Johnny Do Good conscientious routine and went for the crazy low SF deal.

SD,

Could it be possible that this Swaro rep now works for Zeiss in France?

Jan

Bob I love the Black Lines with their elegance recalling the early Trinovids but to quote their weight is cheating a bit since they have no rubber armour.

Lee

Of course!:king: That is why they are elegant!:t: Elegance subtracts ounces.:smoke:

Bob

If you are already used to using top bins then its hard to imagine being blown away by the Nvid. Hard to imaging anything coming out that will be considerably or noticeably better than an SF/SV/UVid+/EDG, etc.
....just my 2 cents.

So true - I could not agree more (assuming the emphasis in your statement is on "considerably")
Canip

I too was suspect the gains would be incremental and really rolled my eyes at the 3D stuff. Having purchased UVHD+ 8x42's just last year, in one sense it would've been a relief not to see a considerable difference.

Turns out the NTV's have raised the bar on a scale that we haven't seen perhaps since the 2004 release of the Zeiss Victory FL's.

As I documented in a recent thread, I borrowed a forum member's NTV's recently, directly compared them to my very nice UVHD+, and ordered my own NTV the next day seen below.

Congratulations on that purchase - and wishing you lots of wonderful observations with your NTV!! I find mine a superb binocular and definitely the best currently available from Leica (I would however not say that it "raised the bar" over and above the top glasses from Zeiss and Swaro, based on my side-by-side comparisons).

I find mine a superb binocular and definitely the best currently available from Leica (I would however not say that it "raised the bar" over and above the top glasses from Zeiss and Swaro, based on my side-by-side comparisons).

Its good that new owners are enamoured with their expensive purchases, but I`d have to side with Canip, in fact I`d say the NV has lifted Leica up to the same level as the Swaro and Zeiss for the first time.

Although I love the 7x42UV+ as something a bit special, I seem to remember posting on these pages before that I would`nt have personally purchased the UV+ in 8x or 10x.

in fact I`d say the NV has lifted Leica up to the same level as the Swaro and Zeiss for the first time.

Although I love the 7x42UV+ as something a bit special, I seem to remember posting on these pages before that I would`nt have personally purchased the UV+ in 8x or 10x.

I agree with that. For years Leica had to depend on compactness and "color" to justify sales IMO. Now, CERTAINLY on even footing...to some a step above.

Lee and GG,

I was`nt rushed and spent a good while with it, I`m not sure I had unrealistic expectations, its just considering the marketing and the enthusiasm I`v read from others that have tried it I was expecting to see something new, something not on offer from Zeiss or Swaro, but it felt like more of the same (from Leica), and sadly for me a definite 3rd place to SF/SV.

Hopefully it won`t be the last NV I try, so maybe another example. another day I`ll feel differently.

I'm convinced some of us just naturally prefer one of the alpha views over the others. When I bought my 8x42 Ultravid BRs about eight years ago, it came down to the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL and the Ultravids. The store let me take both home for the weekend, I really wanted to like the Swaros better, all my buddies had EL or SLCs, but my eye kept coming back to the Leicas. Truth is I would have been happy with either bin, but come Monday I took the Swaros back and kept the Leicas.

Since then I have tried lots of nice binos, Zeiss, all Swaro models, Leica, Zen Ray, Nikon (I own 8x32 and 10x42 SEs), and a bunch of others, maybe now my eyes are trained, but regardless I always seem to prefer the Leica view. I don't have anything against any other company, my eyes just like what they like.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back