• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

Two examples of what I would describe as beautifully artistic shots are those by David Bratt (Roller) and Oliver Reville (Rose-coloured Starling) in this week’s round-up from RBA.

I'll take that as a compliment, John :t:
With my photos I take two different scenarios.
"Twitch" photography, which again can be split depending on the bird, is an opportunity (if the situation allows it) to go for the portrait shots. In this case the surroundings the Rosey was inhabiting were not the most photogenic, therefore shots like the one attached to this post I have cropped to look more "posed" rather than natural to remove the man made structures in the original image, birdbath excluded!
Obviously this is only really possible if the bird is as confiding as this one was, birds that are less confiding you take what you are given and be done with it.
This brings me onto "birding photography". These are the shots I take when i'm out birding and have my camera with me. As good as these massive 500 and 600mm lenses are I prefer (and can only afford) to stick to something smaller so my birding isn't as inhibited.
Again the same rules apply where a sensitive or "difficult" bird is never bothered to the point where its well being is sacrificed so I can get a photo.

I think that is where the line can be drawn. Some photographers will push the patience of those around them and also the stress levels of the bird they are trying to photograph. Others (and I like to class myself in this group (If anyone has views to the contrary then please say!)) just enjoy photography and take what they can get, without riling others around them or putting the welfare of wildlife at risk.

We've all done things that were probably a bit over the line (Birders and photographers) but there is a difference between a genuine accident and intentionally pushing the limits for your own gain.

and now my keyboard needs a rest.....

Attachments

• IMG_2594 edit.jpg
    IMG_2594 edit.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 142
I'll take that as a compliment, John

Why not ? It was meant as one.

but there is a difference between a genuine accident and intentionally pushing the limits for your own gain.

I would love to have consummate abilities; unfortunately, unlike divine beings, I am merely human. I have, inadvertently, flushed birds- and will continue to do so, as a result of this ‘imperfection’. Until one ascertains what an individual (bird) will tolerate, one has to experiment: with some, it’s a half mile; with others, they’ll even land on you.

I think you're right John - reckless disturbance was introduced by the Countryside and Rights of Way Act. Essentially it is an offence to intentionally or recklessly disturb any bird species included on Schedule 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act whilst they are building a nest, are in, on or near a nest containing eggs or young or to disturb dependent young. Dartford warbler and woodlark are both Schedule 1 species. I believe ringers are licensed through their ringing permit to disturb Schedule 1 species and photographers can apply for a licence from Natural England to photograph Schedule 1 species at the nest.

The same piece of legislation also made it a requirement that during the breeding season dogs be kept on leads of no more than 2m length on open access sites, which includes registered commons and areas of heathland. Not sure that I've ever seen a dog on a lead on Kelling Heath...

It seems to me that the latter bit of law is practically unenforceable, as is the piece of legislation that is supposed to make dog owners clear up after their pets. Maybe peer pressure would be more effective in this instance. However people have been prosecuted in the past for reckless disturbance and I would encourage any birder who witnesses persistent reckless disturbance of rare breeding birds to contact Operation Compass on 101.

For anyone interested in reading more on wildlife crime, there is a useful bit on the CPS website here - http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/v_to_z/wildlife_offences/

Was this bit not amended to read "wilfully or recklessly" ( the latter meaning it doesn't matter whether you know about it or not, its still an offence so its your responsibility to inform yourself and take notice), or is that just for Schedule 1?

John

I didn’t say it was a dog, John ! However, I can reassure members that you are known to the emailer- and it wasn’t you. But you know that, anyway.

Was not informed of the site, either. Nonetheless, that notices regarding dog-fouling and wildlife disturbance are removed is lamentable and is another illustration of the decline of our nation’s general moral compass. On that note . .

Operation Compass on 101 (http://www.norfolk.police.uk/safety...ion/tacklingtheproblems/operationcompass.aspx). Very useful. On that note . .

I have now received this: “3 individuals with long lenses acting suspiciously near the nest refered to . . were . . spoken to by police officers this morning. Naturally, they were very apologetic and stated they had no idea the birds were there let alone a nest.”

Whilst the behaviour of the lone birder at the Woodlark nest should be condemned, as I understand it the 3 'suspicious' characters were genuine birders who were on public footpaths and meant no harm, one an RSPB warden. This has come from an excellent blog I follow.
You were utterly right to post John, but I just wanted to add this for the sake of clarity.

Cheers,
Jim.

Whilst I agree with most of what Josh has written, I have to disagree about photography, per se. I’m sure he means that particular sort, where every feather detail is delineated. It would seem to me that, far too often, many bird photographers are aiming for that result, when it's impossible to achieve without infringing one or more bits of one of the 'codes'.

However, to misquote Wordsworth, a good photo is an 'image recollected in tranquillity' and a piece of art in its own right- not just a documentation/illustration, fit for a (photo) field guide.

I’m a ‘bird snapper’, with neither massive equipment nor prodigious outlay for its purchase. I take shots (almost silently- no clicking/clanking/machine gun imitations) mainly for record/ID purposes.

Sensible, moderate words, well said!!
Lovely Poppy photos to.
:t:

Whilst the behaviour of the lone birder at the Woodlark nest should be condemned, as I understand it the 3 'suspicious' characters were genuine birders who were on public footpaths and meant no harm, one an RSPB warden. This has come from an excellent blog I follow.
You were utterly right to post John, but I just wanted to add this for the sake of clarity.

Cheers,
Jim.

Jim
I can assure you the 3 were NOT on a public footpath, they were seen looking into the area and almost certainly knew there were Woodlark present although this was denied to the police. It is generally well known that this particular area, which has no footpaths through it but can be viewed from footpaths, holds a pair of breeding birds. What were they doing there at 8.30 in the morning all with cameras? Elsewhere on the heath a ringed young bird was found recently that had probably been trodden on, just off a footpath. This is why we are asking people not to wander into the rough ground whilst recently fledged young are still around.
For interest, two young were colour ringed this evening.

John

www.kellingnature.zenfolio.com

Jim
I can assure you the 3 were NOT on a public footpath, they were seen looking into the area and almost certainly knew there were Woodlark present although this was denied to the police. It is generally well known that this particular area, which has no footpaths through it but can be viewed from footpaths, holds a pair of breeding birds. What were they doing there at 8.30 in the morning all with cameras? Elsewhere on the heath a ringed young bird was found recently that had probably been trodden on, just off a footpath. This is why we are asking people not to wander into the rough ground whilst recently fledged young are still around.

John

Hi John,

I don't personally know any of the folk involved and was merely attempting to be diplomatic. There are clearly 2 sides to the story and frankly, I don't know what to think! I hope the Woodlark can breed in peace.

Cheers,
Jim.

Whilst I agree with most of what Josh has written, I have to disagree about photography, per se. I’m sure he means that particular sort, where every feather detail is delineated. It would seem to me that, far too often, many bird photographers are aiming for that result, when it's impossible to achieve without infringing one or more bits of one of the 'codes'.

However, to misquote Wordsworth, a good photo is an 'image recollected in tranquillity' and a piece of art in its own right- not just a documentation/illustration, fit for a (photo) field guide.

Two examples of what I would describe as beautifully artistic shots are those by David Bratt (Roller) and Oliver Reville (Rose-coloured Starling) in this week’s round-up from RBA.

I’m a ‘bird snapper’, with neither massive equipment nor prodigious outlay for its purchase. I take shots (almost silently- no clicking/clanking/machine gun imitations) mainly for record/ID purposes, occasionally aim for the artistic, and am generally satisfied with my commensurately modest product. In those below (of Yellow Horned Poppy Glaucium flavum at Salthouse), I haven’t even begun to count to 60,000.

I’m enjoying reading the blog from the Point: http://norfolkcoastnationaltrust.blogspot.co.uk/. It’s a shame about the loss of some of the Little Terns’ nests- but at least it was natural.

Although I do like the crystal clear on the occasions that I can manage it, trying to develop a sense of context or somesuch in photos of birds along the idea of 'birdscapes'. No, I didn't coin the phrase and I did buy the book. ;)

Some examples here. Hope you enjoy....

Re: Green Sandpipers, the attached might be of interest. No early spike in reporting rate (proportion of birders' lists featuring this species) and if anything, seems to be running a little late this year – like so many other things. These are the stats for all of Britain and Ireland but I had a look for the East of England and it's exactly the same story.

Thanks, Nick (and to others that replied about the Green Sandpipers), very interesting and generally as I'd thought, although the numbers are still intriguing. This seems to suggest that they are early returnees for whatever reason, as the numbers of reports continue to increase from here on in. Failed breeders maybe?

I headed over to Weeting this morning - it was nice to see that both the stone curlews and spotted flys look to be having sucessful breeding years. Speaking to the chap there it seems that they have at least four stone curlew chicks on site.

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_9971.jpg
    IMG_9971.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_9863.jpg
    IMG_9863.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 119
Technically all of Kelling Heath is open access land under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act and you are not legally obliged to stick to public footpaths. However this isn't an acceptable excuse for recklessly disturbing Schedule 1 breeding species. Personally I think one of the contributing factors at Kelling is that there is an extensive network of informal tracks and paths throughout the site. If the vegetation could be allowed to grow up in places to close off some of these tracks, maybe more of the heath would be undisturbed.

Jim

John

Technically all of Kelling Heath is open access land under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act and you are not legally obliged to stick to public footpaths. However this isn't an acceptable excuse for recklessly disturbing Schedule 1 breeding species. Personally I think one of the contributing factors at Kelling is that there is an extensive network of informal tracks and paths throughout the site. If the vegetation could be allowed to grow up in places to close off some of these tracks, maybe more of the heath would be undisturbed.

Rob
There is usually a notice in the car park, re Schedule 1 birds present and vulnerable, please stay on footpaths. I have been away to Mull and it was torn down again, now replaced.
Hopefully vegetation will grow to close off some tracks, but others are made by the tractor when creating the habitat for Woodlark, Nightjar etc.

John

Thanks, Nick (and to others that replied about the Green Sandpipers), very interesting and generally as I'd thought, although the numbers are still intriguing. This seems to suggest that they are early returnees for whatever reason, as the numbers of reports continue to increase from here on in. Failed breeders maybe?

I think it's usually assumed (always dangerous, I know!) that waders that reached their breeding grounds broadly come back through in the order: failed breeders, adults that bred successfully, then juveniles. Obviously there'll be loads of variation in this 'pattern', and the added complication of non-breeding birds that never reached their breeding grounds in the first place (some of which presumably 'summer' in Britain). Fascinating stuff, whatever is going on!

12 Curlews on the (minuscule) flood at Thetford Nunnery Lakes on Tuesday 25/6 was my (the?) record count; I speculated that they may have been failed breeders too.

Just heard from Andy Clements that he had a Sooty Shearwater from the beach at Titchwell c7:30pm on Sunday 23 June, in a strong WNW. Also a double figure movement of Fulmars and plenty of Gannets. A 'well-known internet-based bird news service' has just 3 reports in the last 12 years of Sooty Shearwater anywhere in East Anglia in June.

Last edited:
One more belated photo of the Starling, having been drawn out of the woodwork by John's compliment.

And the aforementioned Roller photo, cropped 'as intended' (definitely a product of circumstance rather than artistic judgement).

Also one of the two or three Nightjar's present that evening, in the same tree.

Attachments

• Rose-colouredStarling1906.jpg
    Rose-colouredStarling1906.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 213
  • EuropeanRoller2118.jpg
    EuropeanRoller2118.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 241
  • Nightjar1606.jpg
    Nightjar1606.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 279
Possible Caspian Tern over Buckenham Marshes @2pm today. Difficult to imagine what else it could have been, but at the height it was flying and looking into bright sunshine, I could only really put news out as a possible.

Back to the birds with a bang.....almost!

Cheers,
Jim.

Titchwell June 27th

Today’s highlights

Spotted redshank – 2 on fresh marsh
Ruff – 1 on fresh marsh
Dunlin – 7 on fresh marsh
Little gull – 12 (2 ads) on fresh marsh
Knot – ca3000 roosting on fresh marsh
Med gull – adult on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Avocet – 173 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 west onto saltmarsh @ 14:00
Wigeon – drake on grazing meadow pool

Paul

I headed over to Weeting this morning - it was nice to see that both the stone curlews and spotted flys look to be having sucessful breeding years. Speaking to the chap there it seems that they have at least four stone curlew chicks on site.

Peter those are some nice shots of the curlew and the flycatcher!

And the aforementioned Roller photo, cropped 'as intended' (definitely a product of circumstance rather than artistic judgement).

But this is the acceptance of serendipity- completely legitimate as a means of engendering an artistic response.

It remains a lovely image. And, in the manner of Hokusai’s ‘Wave’ (神奈川沖浪裏), renders the subject paradoxically miniscule.

some nice shots of the . . flycatcher!

Yes. When I was last there, the Flycatchers were usually 10m off the ground. Are you developing a new photographic technique, employing stilts, Peter ?

Attachments

• Wave.jpg
    Wave.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 140

Users who are viewing this thread

Back