• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

Titchwell March 17th

Today's highights

Firecrest - 1 again in scrub although mobile and elusive
Red crested pochard - 2 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 1 on Fen Hide pool
Woodcock - 1 in scrub
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Today's highights

Firecrest - 1 again in scrub although mobile and elusive
Red crested pochard - 2 on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 1 on Fen Hide pool
Woodcock - 1 in scrub
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Nice selection going on there.

Good find with the Firecrest... :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Laplands in the mist!

Martin and I made our way to Hickling through the fog and drizzle, arriving early enough to catch the reported White-tailed Eagle leaving its roost: sadly, if it did, we didn't see it! We enjoyed a walk around the reserve, though, seeing Bearded Tits, Green Sandpiper, Little Egrets and a crow catching & eating a fish!

As the weather was improving slightly, we moved on to Weybourne: no sign of Thursday's Iceland Gull, but good views of 5 or 6 Lapland Buntings. The light was appalling, but I managed a few photos of these delightful mouse-like birds creeping along the furrows. Two Snow Buntings added to the day's total.

Attachments

• Laps 2.jpg
    Laps 2.jpg
    967.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Lap3.jpg
    Lap3.jpg
    698.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Lap vv best.jpg
    Lap vv best.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Lap best 2.jpg
    Lap best 2.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 110
  • fish crow.jpg
    fish crow.jpg
    878.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Weather cleared up enough for us to do the last harrier roost count at Titchwell last night.
We ended up with 10 marsh including a bird with pale upperwings that has been touring the coast all winter. 3 hen harriers came in too. 2 ringtails roosted, one west of the main path and one near the dead trees plus a male that probably roosted near Gypsy Lane but the fog was too bad to be sure.
Best of all was a booming bittern in the main reedbed north of the Fen Hide. It was heard briefly at the weekend but was booming strongly when we left at 7pm

Paul

I've just been told about a White-tailed Eagle sighting today at Stockton (South Norfolk near Bungay) around 11:45. The observers aren't birders, but both work in the countryside and are familiar with Common Buzzard and Red Kites so worth following up if anyone is in the area.

It was in the area of an Oil-seed Rape field near a roundabout, (presumably on the A146).

I've just been told about a White-tailed Eagle sighting today at Stockton (South Norfolk near Bungay) around 11:45. The observers aren't birders, but both work in the countryside and are familiar with Common Buzzard and Red Kites so worth following up if anyone is in the area.

It was in the area of an Oil-seed Rape field near a roundabout, (presumably on the A146).

Only 3 or 4 miles fom home so spent a couple of hours working the area between Hales/Gillingham/Toft/Ellingham without success. Maybe that as this mornings mist/gloom had been replaced by brigther weather a grounded bird would have flown by then anyhow. Nice to see 4+ pairs of displaying buzzards and lots of boxing hares enjoying the sun!

Evening,

I have been putting together a list of decent sounding/looking pieces of Common Land in Norfolk having spent some time at New Buckenham Common recently. At the weekend, I managed to find Alderford Common which turned out to be a very interesting site. Loads of Bullfinch and clearly potential for Nightingale, Turtle Dover when the time comes. We couldn't find Whitwell Common- if anyone knows much about this or other Commons, do speak up!

I enjoyed a quality half hour on the patch this evening on the way home from work. Short-eared Owl, Marsh Harrier, Peregrine, Kestrel, Stonechat and Redshank are back at Buckenham. Very lucky to have this lot a 10 minute drive away.

Cheers,
Jim.

It was pretty good despite the weather conditions. The firecrest has been about for several days although I suspect it may have overwintered

Paul

Hi Paul

Are there many Firecrest sightings in Norfolk? We where lucky to see one at our local Nature Reserve at Putnoe, Bedford a few years ago o:)

OH and I heard many Goldcrests at Lady Ann's Road at Holkam during our Xmas 2014 trip to Norfolk.

They liked the low lying scrub, and the evergreen trees near the carpark area, and it made it hard to see them at all - and it was windy so that did not help matters. They stayed invisible to us...sadly :-C

Regards
Kathy
x

My commute route James, thanks for sharing. Scope is in the car.
Jim.

Evening,

I have been putting together a list of decent sounding/looking pieces of Common Land in Norfolk having spent some time at New Buckenham Common recently. At the weekend, I managed to find Alderford Common which turned out to be a very interesting site. Loads of Bullfinch and clearly potential for Nightingale, Turtle Dover when the time comes. We couldn't find Whitwell Common- if anyone knows much about this or other Commons, do speak up!

Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim - I've visited Whitwell and Alderford Commons a few times, especially Whitwell. Entrance to Whitwell Common is by layby with a phone box at TG 08412 20447. Both nice places to visit - though never seen anything especially exciting in the way of birds there. Best I've managed at Whitwell Common is stuff like Woodcock, Marsh Tit and Bullfinch. There are a few reeds there where you get Reed Warblers in summer and I've heard Water Rail once. I suspect both sites are better for other wildlife (flora, insects, etc.) than they are for birds though I believe you're right about Alderford's potential.

Evening,

I enjoyed a quality half hour on the patch this evening on the way home from work. Short-eared Owl, Marsh Harrier, Peregrine, Kestrel, Stonechat and Redshank are back at Buckenham. Very lucky to have this lot a 10 minute drive away.

Cheers,
Jim.

A quality half hour there Jim! Good luck with your commute tomorrow !
Happy birding
Shaky

Evening,

Cheers,
Jim.

Alderford Common was once a great site for nightingale. Back in the day I reckon there were at least four pairs there - when I lived at Reepham I could wind the car window down on my drive to and from work and hear them singing as I drove past!

The birds disappeared at about the same time as the guy from St Faiths was jailed for egg collecting - he had a phenomenal number of clutches of nightingales, and you can't help but put two and two together..

Stew

Hi Paul

Are there many Firecrest sightings in Norfolk? We where lucky to see one at our local Nature Reserve at Putnoe, Bedford a few years ago o:)

OH and I heard many Goldcrests at Lady Ann's Road at Holkam during our Xmas 2014 trip to Norfolk.

They liked the low lying scrub, and the evergreen trees near the carpark area, and it made it hard to see them at all - and it was windy so that did not help matters. They stayed invisible to us...sadly :-C

Regards
Kathy
x

Hi Kathy

There is a small breeding population in the Brecks but other than that they are a scarce migrant mainly in the autumn.

Always a great bird to catch up with

Paul

Thanks for replies Dave, Stew.

Really sad to hear of the demise of the Nightingale at this location. I understand they are still present at Buckenham Common and I am sure other similar sites. I hope we are not in a position say in 10 years 10 where, like our Lesser-pecker, they are clinging on and end up broadcast on RBA!

No sign of any Birds of Prey on route to work today, but I see RBA are reporting the Eagle from somewhere near Ranworth/Wroxham broads viewable from Ranworth Church.

Jim.

Titchwell March 19th

Today's highlights

Jack snipe - 1 from Fen Hide but elusive
Red crested pochard - 8 in reedbed
Brambling - 2 on feeders
Bittern - male booming in reedbed audible from Fen Hide
Barn owl - 1 on East Trail

Paul

RBA have stopped posting wheatears in pager messages for this year. Are there many along the coast at the moment? (Still haven't caught up with any).

Stew

Eclipse!

Got really lucky at Strump today: interesting observation - as it grew dark, normally timid birds like Cetti's and Water Rails seemed to freeze out in the open!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 88
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 99
  • end.jpg
    end.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Cettisvery  best.jpg
    Cettisvery best.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Cettis best2.jpg
    Cettis best2.jpg
    697.4 KB · Views: 97
The partial eclispe seem to have no effect on the birds in north Norfolk. During the build up to the eclispe I was in a wood and woodpeckers , blue , marsh and great tits carried on searching for food as before, kestrels continued hunting Mistle thrushes , blackwings and fieldfares carried on feeding and the recently drilled fields were full of wood pigeons. The only possable effected birds were magpies and jays which seemed to be in very common along the more sheltered hedges , more than I would expect , but thats probably pure chance. There was no sign of any roosting activity which was contary to many experts were suggesting to happen. There was quite a bit of song activity as it became duller , but no more than I would expect for a fine mid March morning. In all from a wildlife point of view it was a bit of a non event , though it was not a full eclispe and at its maximum it was not as dark as I have known on a heavy cloudy day.

Interesting, I noticed that there were a few v's of gulls heading over to their roost sites as well as two v's of cormorants also heading towards roosting areas.
They were certainly looking very much like the do in the evenings, which is slightly bizarre as they would have only left them a few hours earlier! Does this confirm that birds really do not have a sense of time and do rely on the sun for everything or was it just coincidence that there were a few cormorants and gullsmoving through?

I failed to catch up with the eagle from Halvergate bridge yesterday but did see RLB, red kite, 7 buzzards, 5+ marsh harriers, peregrine, short eared owl, kestrel, sparrowhawk and a esc white stork. A nice hours dipping!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back