• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (5 Viewers)

Today started off a as a really naff today, due to the fact I did too many boring houseworky jobs last night, did the Tescos run at 10pm and by the time I had sorted my birding stuff, sandwiches etc it was silly late and when the alarm went off I couldn't get up and couldn't get back to sleep either!!! So eventually arrived at Holme about 10.30, way past the high tide at 6.45amish. Have been sleepy and moody all day!

On route just before Sandringham a common buzzard was circling above as I drove along. Arrived at Holme 10.30 and parked up by the horse meadow half way along Beach Road and saw 2 pied wagtails, not much else. Drove right down to NOA carpark first and had a look round reserve. Several bramblings on the feeders from the hide at the end of the bank. A marsh harrier flew over the marsh. I went to look at the sea but it was like the Sahara!!!! sand was blowing directly towards me, I couldn't even open my eyes! So gave up on that and walked back and through the pines back to carpark, raining now aswell! I was chatting to a couple of members on the carpark and Chris Mills walked up and said did we know there were a couple of Med Gulls from the NOA capark hide, so went to have a look at those (12.45pm), which was nice. Drove back down the 'rud' and had a walk round the Forestry area where all I saw was a magpie and a hedgesparrow singing, not even a stonechat - everything was ducking down in the wind.

Next stop Cleyspy to collect my scope:t::t::t: On route stopped at Siffkey to look at Cattle Egret (ha ha, not). Then after leaving Cleyspy I had an incident with a snotty horse woman - I had passed her slowly and politely, as you do and further up the road I pulled over and stopped to make a phone call to my friend Pete, while I was talking to him the horse and lady had caught up with me and she could not overtake me for a few seconds as there was a car coming the other way - after the car had gone past, she then rode past me saying in a bellowing sarcastic voice 'you could have picked a better place to park' - well that was it my temper went through the sky (yes road rage):C:C and when I pulled off, lets say it wasn't exactly slow to which she stuck two fingers up to me, which I returned back and then put my hazards on as Penelope Pitstop sped off (young people on here won't know what I am going on about!) - I really felt like going back and running her over (yes I know its a dreadful, wicked thing to say, but thats how I felt at the time) Anyway, still fuming I met up with my friend Pete At Salthouse - absolutely FREEZING!! and we saw 3 wheatears at Little Eye (5pm), 2 lovely males and 1 female! Also a few turnstones were feeding close by and 1 snowbunting feeding all by itself:-C.

I left here and went back via the coast road, stopped to view the Warham area and had 2 stunning full adult male marsh harriers who were so brilliantly coloured I thought I was looking at something else for a minute! Also my first swallow of the year wearily came in off the sea. Stopped at Blakeney Quay and Morston Quay, sea is very close to coming over the road, it was so windy couldn't really hold bins still, lots of gulls and brents etc! Stopped at Burnham Norton Carpark and had a cup of tea and my dinner for the evening, a cheese and tomato sandwich! and scanned over the marshes and had 5 marsh harriers in the sky together (7.40pm).

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hi Penny
As always great reading your trip reports and all the little incidents. I know all about horsey people here in Lincolnshire, where we have a lot of hunting fraternity. In our last place we often had the hounds roaming round our garden.
Hope your scope is now in good order.
Best wishes
Richard

Hello nolfork birders,

I'm looking to spend this weekend coming up in norfolk to do some Birding as ive never been before. I was wondering if anyone can suggest some places i could visit?on the coast maybe?My thinking is that it would be good at this time as Norfolk is good for migrants. I'll be arriving Friday tea time and leaving Sunday evening. I want to make the most of it as i don't get many weekends free! Any help would be great!

Cheers

Geordie:t:

There are several good site in Norfolk. It depends what you want to see. For migrants Blakeney is good, but its an 8 mile walk on shingle to the end of the point and back. Holme NOA is also good with different habitats (pines, dunes, marsh, etc.) Warham Greens is also good, also Stiffkey might be worth a shot. Winterton might be good but it might be a bit far round, depends where you're staying.
I'm not really the one to talk to about this as i'm quite young - others please help!!!:eek!:
God luck anyway - I'm sure you'll enjoy it B :)

Hello nolfork birders,

I'm looking to spend this weekend coming up in norfolk to do some Birding as ive never been before.

If it's your first time I'd start at Holme and Titchwell (with a side trip to Choseley Barns). They are all close together so it's easy to do them in a day, and you should be able to get a feel from people there as to what would be the most productive site for the next day.

Those are excellent suggestions for someone that is new to Norfolk. The only addition to that (if you haven't seen Fulmar before (or would like to see them close up) would be Hunstanton Cliffs by the Lighthouse.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

You can stand near the edge of the cliff (The cliff is fenced off) and watch the Fulmars as they rise above you, sometimes very close by. You can also do a bit of seawatching here.

John

If it's your first time I'd start at Holme and Titchwell (with a side trip to Choseley Barns). They are all close together so it's easy to do them in a day, and you should be able to get a feel from people there as to what would be the most productive site for the next day.

Hello nolfork birders,

I'm looking to spend this weekend coming up in norfolk to do some Birding as ive never been before. I was wondering if anyone can suggest some places i could visit?on the coast maybe?My thinking is that it would be good at this time as Norfolk is good for migrants. I'll be arriving Friday tea time and leaving Sunday evening. I want to make the most of it as i don't get many weekends free! Any help would be great!

Cheers

Hi Geordie
Others have recommended some excellent suggestions. For more ideas have a look at my web site (link below) and open up the Around Norfolk page. Hope this helps.
Sue

Thankyou everyone for your replies! That is all very heplful and useful. I think i shall have a lot of fun and i'll make sure i post on here what i see!! PM sent Pomskua!

Thanks again, maybe ill see some of you there!!

Is anyone going to Pensthorpe then? Are they going to do Springwatch/Autumnwatch here every year?

Black Kite now heading around the coast, viewed first from Cley Beach Carpark but now has flown west over Salthouse Beach Car-park, Salthouse Village, Barns Drift Cley and Blakeney Point and Blakeney Harbour. Might be time to get the bike out and head down to the coastal park if it keeps on going...

Connor

EDIT: Possibly two birds, as one over Barns Drift same time as one over Blakeney Harbour...

Also Red-rumped Swallow rptd at Kelling Quags mid-morning.

Last edited:
Black Kite now heading around the coast, viewed first from Cley Beach Carpark but now has flown west over Salthouse Beach Car-park, Salthouse Village, Barns Drift Cley and Blakeney Point and Blakeney Harbour. Might be time to get the bike out and head down to the coastal park if it keeps on going...

Connor

EDIT: Possibly two birds, as one over Barns Drift same time as one over Blakeney Harbour...

Also Red-rumped Swallow rptd at Kelling Quags mid-morning.
Black Kite could be one of the London Zoo Birds

Extra info for those of you trying to see the Cattle Egret.

Park by the church and cross the road and head for the village sign of Stiffkey (by the council houses). Just past this there is a gap in the hedge where you will find a path leading up into the wood (Camping Hill) Following this and turning right just past the wooden gate through the trees for about hundred metres gives views through the trees to the flooded area where the Cattle Egret is lurking, merrily gorging itself on frogs!
This area cannot be seen from the road very well.

Sue

Never made it past Burnham Ovary Staithe anyhow :-C Well I hope someone was looking at Titchwell/Ringstead or Choseley area!

Connor

Oh yes it did! I saw it at Thornham along with several other birders but its origins are looking dubious. I guess we shall all have to wait and see.

Sue

What time did you see it at Thornham, Sue?
Any reason it wasn't put out on the pager at that sight for those waiting?
(I missed it by seconds, long story! It must have flown over my head at some point!)

Although it probably passed over my patch, didn't get to see the Kite. What I would say is that, unless its plumage belighed otherwise, I can't see why this bird should be assumed to be an escape. With the arrival of the swallow yesterday evening, and the classic route this raptor took I can't see why it shouldn't have good credentials.

Raptor Reveller, I assume you are talking about the Re-rumped Swallow in Suffolk?!
I agree I see no reason why this was not a true vagrant and wish I had caught up with it. It is thought (as Connor suggested) that two birds were involved, but is unclear if one of them might have been a Red Kite. I don't know, I didn't see any!!!

bit of a good day.

Kicked off with a Rouzel on the bump, start checking those paddocks! Missed the Kite, but apparently went over the office but then a crazy, couple of almost car crashes dash with the bird always about 10 mins ahead, possibly had it at Warham then nailed at Burnham Overy, any chance it could be last years returning bird, it paused around the area it was seen in regularly last year for a bit but then headed off West again. think pretty good chance there were two, was seen simultaneously at Barns Drift and Blakeney - did you get it Jason?
Not bothered about this London Zoo business, - good weather conditions for raptors - arrival of common and Med migrants aint going to deprive myself of a good bird.

Paused briefly for the cattle Egret - fairly easy to view from the road just West of the main floods

Did a spot of overtime to compensate for the Twitch but still managed to sandwich in a trip to see the Garganeys at Kelling - superb birds, i always find once ive seen Garganey's i see the whole world as a shade of Garganey - not a particular colour but just the whole world looks like ... Garganey - does anyone else get this or is it just me!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back