• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

Badgering you for info

Subsequent to a caption on a well-known website (connected to a century between 300 and 500), I have penned the following ditty:

“The Welsh badger cull reprieval
Will mean a welcome upheaval
In the vet’rin’ry stocks:
(Now they’ll jab all the brocks)
For the crazy idea was plain evil.”

This reminded me: while birding last weekend, I saw a badger corpse by the side of the A149. I’m sure someone asked for these to be reported a while ago, but I can’t recall to whom.

Having a great time at my patch of late (Thorpe marshes). With a flock of dunlin dropping in , a rather smart Black tailed Godwit ,along with the couple of pairs of Oystercathers being last weeks highlights . But bird of the week today came in a lonely looking Little ringed plover. *I waited till the beginning of April last year to see em return so to see this one in march is super!
Fingers crossed for them sticking around;-)

Shaky

Titchwell March 22nd

Today’s highlights

Long tailed duck – 9 offshore
Velvet scoter – 3 offshore
Little ringed plover – 1 on brackish marsh
Bittern – 1 in flight over reedbed
Short eared owl – 1 hunting over grazing meadow
Hen harrier – male over reedbed

Paul

A stop at the bridge on the Beach Road at Salthouse provided a Curlew. I always think these are somehow improbable- with Far-Eastern even more so. The putatively profligate and polyandrous Stonechat was back at Gramboro’; she was with the male that has been there a little while.

Walsey Hills resounded with at least 2 Chiffchaff singing and gave me a Small Tortoisehell, which flitted away and vanished, before I could switch on my camera. It also provided my first Bee-fly of the year.

Attachments

• 033pse.jpg
    033pse.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 057pse.jpg
    057pse.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 69
  • 068pse.jpg
    068pse.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 46
Titchwell March 23rd

Today’s highlights

Garganey – pair on fresh marsh
Wheatear – 2 on beach
Water pipit – 1 on fresh marsh
Blackcap – 2 singing in carpark

Paul

A trip to the my local patch this afternoon showed that the one LPR i found on Wednesday had now turned into 2 !
Also the Dunlin was still hanging around on the spit along with a Oystercatcher. Goldeneye on the broad and 2 x Chiffchaffs singing . A cracking day for birding in gorgeous sunshine and looks like its staying .
Happy birding,
shaky

A trip to the my local patch this afternoon showed that the one LPR i found on Wednesday had now turned into 2 !
Also the Dunlin was still hanging around on the spit along with a Oystercatcher. Goldeneye on the broad and 2 x Chiffchaffs singing . A cracking day for birding in gorgeous sunshine and looks like its staying .
Happy birding,
shaky

I really must look harder! Only waders I saw at Thorpe on Thursday were two Oystercatchers. Nice Green Woodpecker working it's way around a dead tree before flying off towards Bungalow Lane though.

The LPR s are on the marsh viewed from the cattle pen area. They have a habit of running between the vegetation but a bit of patience and they should show.there easily missed as nothing else on there at moment and they aren't the biggest!
As for dunlin it's either along the shingle on the spit or I have had it along the river bank edge , once again not easy to pick up. Hope that helps mate. Enjoy ;-)
Shaky

Its not just you! No sign of any Little Ringed Plovers late morning today. Lots of Chiffchaffs singing, 6 Snipe, 2 Oystercatchers, a Meadow Pipit and a Goldeneye though. The Green Woodpecker was calling regularly but didn't see it.

James

I really must look harder! Only waders I saw at Thorpe on Thursday were two Oystercatchers. Nice Green Woodpecker working it's way around a dead tree before flying off towards Bungalow Lane though.

I stumbled over a sedge warbler this morning while doing survey work. The first one I have had in Norfolk in March , though I did have one on the 31st in S Wales back in the 1990s. The only other warbler was present in very good numbers - chiffchaffs all over the place.

Titchwell March 24th

Today’s highlights

Short eared owl – 2 hunting grazing meadow early morning
Mealy redpoll – 2 in picnic area
Long tailed duck – 9 offshore
Black throated diver – 1 offshore
Velvet scoter – 3 offshore
Red necked grebe – 1 offshore
Red crested pochard – pair on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 2 on fresh marsh
Red kite – 2 over @ 4pm

Paul