• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (19 Viewers)

Sunday was awesome on the point as decided to get away from the crowds at Salthouse. The day started well with the icky in the bushes near the hide complex at 7.45 am and then onto Salthouse where 1 Wryneck was seen briefly with supporting cast of Pied fly and Whinchat.

Decided to walk the point so left at around 10:30, Very little before Halfway House with 1 Redstart, 1 yellow Wagtail, 1 Reed Bunting and one bunting i wish i had got the camera on before it flew inland. 1 Wryneck before halfway house but very little else. The Wryneck was mainly elusive at the hood but finally had good views of 3 birds together. The wife had gone ahead to the plantation where there were good numbers of migrants where numbers increasing throughout the time spent there.

1 Spotted Flycatcher
2 Garden Warbler
6 + Willow Warblers
20+ Pied Flycatcher
15+ Redstarts
4 Tree Pipit
a possible Greenish but disappeared almost immediately

The walk back was incredible as there were birds everywhere
70 + Wheatear
20 + Redstart
5 + yellow wagtail
and many more migrants including 1 wryneck

I'm booked on a boat trip to Blakeney Point one afternoon later this month, can anyone please advise on a good bird/wildlife photography venue to spend the morning not to far from the Morston area?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Greenish Warbler at Burnham Overy dunes

A bit late but I thought I would share my best photo of the Greenish Warbler from Sunday.

This at least shows that I did see the right bird after excitedly drawing everyone's attention to a Willow Warbler that I had my camera on. :eek!:

Dave

Attachments

• Greenish Warbler 130825 IMG_6434 web.jpg
    Greenish Warbler 130825 IMG_6434 web.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Titchwell August 27th

Today’s highlights

Curlew sandpiper – 32 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 4 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 11 on fresh marsh
Greenshank – 5 on fresh marsh
Dunlin – 50 on fresh marsh
Wheatear – 14 on beach

Paul

Photos on FB of a Wryneck at Strumpshaw Fen today. Any know where, and if, it is showing?
https://www.facebook.com/rspbstrumpshawfen
Cheers,
Jim.

Thanks to a little more info from Ben (who was away on his now annual Icterine Warbler quest) it turned out that the Wryneck was indeed still at Stumpshaw, reported by visitors from the riverside track leading to the pumphouse. We picked it up initially in flight but it did rest and feed back on the track offering some great views. A couple inadvertently flushed it into bushes, and since the light was fading we called it a day. Assume the bird roosted there. For anyone looking tomorrow the bird was almost opposite the channel leading to Rockland Broad.
After that Kirby Bedon bird in the Spring, I am absolutely thrilled to nab a Broadland Wryneck!

Cheers,
Jim.

EDIT bird still present at 8pm per RBA feeding on the track. Must be hungry. Would advise against getting too close.

Last edited:
Thanks to a little more info from Ben (who was away on his now annual Icterine Warbler quest) it turned out that the Wryneck was indeed still at Stumpshaw, reported by visitors from the riverside track leading to the pumphouse. We picked it up initially in flight but it did rest and feed back on the track offering some great views. A couple inadvertently flushed it into bushes, and since the light was fading we called it a day. Assume the bird roosted there. For anyone looking tomorrow the bird was almost opposite the channel leading to Rockland Broad.
After that Kirby Bedon bird in the Spring, I am absolutely thrilled to nab a Broadland Wryneck!

Cheers,
Jim.

EDIT bird still present at 8pm per RBA feeding on the track. Must be hungry. Would advise against getting too close.

Hi Jim,

Sorry I should have introduced myself, I was there watching it this evening too when it was inadvertantly flushed by the couple. It returned to feed on the path after 10 minutes or so and showed very well and much closer, the couple who had flushed it earlier also got some great views of it.

After sometime it took off on it's own accord and returned to the same bush around 8pm, I imagine to roost.

Good luck to those looking for it tomorrow :t:

Keith

Hi Jim,

Sorry I should have introduced myself, I was there watching it this evening too when it was inadvertantly flushed by the couple. It returned to feed on the path after 10 minutes or so and showed very well and much closer, the couple who had flushed it earlier also got some great views of it.

After sometime it took off on it's own accord and returned to the same bush around 8pm, I imagine to roost.

Good luck to those looking for it tomorrow :t:

Keith

Hi Keith,
No worries, I think we were so fixed on the bird introductions took a backseat! Glad to hear it came back to feed and others got on it.
Cheers,
Jim.

Nice RBShrike at Wells today, supporting cast of Wryneck, Pied Flys, Spot flys, Redstarts, Common Crossbill, Whinchats etc

Attachments

• Red-backed Shrike 27 (Medium).jpg
    Red-backed Shrike 27 (Medium).jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 136
At 1115, a large group of Buteo spp was thermalling above the northern edge of Holt at considerable height - I got on to the first bird while watching multiple airline contrails - a maximum number in the bins at any one time of 11 birds, but there were others (4?) that had set off steadily southwest. A group of three that were interacting with each other had the characteristic pale uppertail and undertail of Rough-legged Buzzards, and also the black tail-band; one of these had very pale outer wing-panels.

Two other individuals were the pale-buffy-red-tailed Common Buzzards (not illustrated in Collins, but there's been a similar bird near Holkham this summer), about three others appeared to be standard Common Buzzards, but the rest were pretty much silhouettes, probably Common as well. All the birds peeled off the top of the thermal in ones and twos and headed southwest in a steady glide, two passing across the face of the Moon, which was clearly visible to the southwest, and by 1120, all were out of sight.
MJB

Last edited:
Hi, is the wryneck still present at Strumpy?

It was reported as still present between the pump house and jetty along the riverbank at 9.30 this morning but haven't seen any further reports today.

I'm going for another look after work in the hope it will still be present, the light yesterday evening was rubbish for photo's (I was shooting at ISO 2000!!).

Keith

Hi Keith thanks I might go and have a look after work so will be there around 7pm ish hoping the sun is out and the light will be brilliant :t:

It was reported as still present between the pump house and jetty along the riverbank at 9.30 this morning but haven't seen any further reports today.

I'm going for another look after work in the hope it will still be present, the light yesterday evening was rubbish for photo's (I was shooting at ISO 2000!!).

Keith

Red-backed shrike, found by Ryan Irvine, at South Denes area of Great Yarmouth was nice today. Especially after he found a wryneck in the same are yesterday. Record shot attached...

Attachments

• Picture 005a.jpg
    Picture 005a.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 169
Hi guys, just had to factory reset my iPhone and have lost all contacts. If we've swapped could you please text me or drop me a pm. Don't mind swapping with other birders if it could be of use.

Cheers,

Robert

A few pictures from Saturday 24th August:

BOOTED WARBLER, ICTERINE WARBLER and Reed Bunting at Blakeney Point.

More pictures on my blog.

Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_4417 crop*.jpg
    IMG_4417 crop*.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_4323 crop.jpg
    IMG_4323 crop.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_4283 crop.jpg
    IMG_4283 crop.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 102