• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (4 Viewers)

down tother side of norwich for a week this saturday not far from stumpshaw fen
not been this part of norfolk looking at
strumpshaw,minsmere, hickling broad booked boat trip for monday,
anyone got favourite sites they like to share
calling in at sculthorpe moor on way down saturday

Titchwell September 11th

Had a couple of hours seawatching off Titchwell this morning before work. Good number of skuas moving west with 44 great and 16 arctic. Also 3 fulmar, 161 wigeon and 56 teal

Curlew sandpiper - 7 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Yellow legged gull - adult on fresh marsh
Little gull - 3 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 10 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 8 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 16 on fresh marsh
Jack snipe - 1 feeding with snipe from Island Hide
Pied flycatcher - elusive male on Meadow Trail

Paul

Last edited:
The rain could be a problem, you really want showers so you get pulses of birds in front of them. Heavy rain can put a bit of a dampner on things.

Seemingly not... plenty of Long-tailed Skuas being reported (though none for 5 of us in the 'cheap seats', ie the shelter by Sheringham Cliff Road carpark, in 6 hours yesterday morning – despite 2 adults and 2 juvs past the 'posh end' of town during the same period).

Incidentally, what does Long-tailed Skua (and for that matter, Sabine's Gull) have in common with Red-footed Falcon, Kentish Plover, White-winged Black Tern, Aquatic Warbler and Parrot Crossbill?

Yup you guessed it: they're all Norfolk description species ;)

Last edited:
Seemingly not... plenty of Long-tailed Skuas being reported (though none for 5 of us in the 'cheap seats', ie the shelter by Sheringham Cliff Road carpark, in 6 hours yesterday morning – despite 2 adults and 2 juvs past the 'posh end' of town during the same period).

Incidentally, what does Long-tailed Skua (and for that matter, Sabine's Gull) have in common with Red-footed Falcon, Kentish Plover, White-winged Black Tern, Aquatic Warbler and Parrot Crossbill?

Yup you guessed it: they're all Norfolk description species ;)

Yes but the morning had showers and the main passage of birds, once the heavy rain set in the birds dried up ?
Nobody in the posh shelter saw the flock of 4 LTS's in the morning either, I belive there were 2 juvs past late afternoon

I found a Yellow-browed Warbler at wells today, which was nice, seems very early, probably an adult as it was in very dull plumage.

Last edited:
Yes but the morning had showers and the main passage of birds, once the heavy rain set in the birds dried up ?
Nobody in the posh shelter saw the flock of 4 LTS's in the morning either, I belive there were 2 juvs past late afternoon.

Easy tiger - I wasn't calling into question your ability to predict seabird passage off N Norfolk, just failing to make the point that even though the forecast/weather may not have been perfect, 4 Long-tailed Skuas were recorded/reported by 11:20am! In other words, I was trying to find a way of subtly implying a raised eyebrow at the 4 Long-tailed Skuas reported past Sheringham that morning (per news services), without being too explicit [oops - may have blown it!] ;)

Since 2001, the first (Norfolk) Yellow-browed Warbler date seems to have bounced around quite a lot (per BirdGuides; haven't time to check all the Bird Reports):
11/9/13; 22/9/12; 17/9/11; 23/9/10; 19/9/09; 14/9/08; 27/9/07; 15/9/06; 10/9/05; 10/9/04; 26/9/03; 27/9/02; 15/9/01 [average = 18/9]

Last edited:
Easy tiger - I wasn't calling into question your ability to predict seabird passage off N Norfolk, just failing to make the point that even though the forecast/weather may not have been perfect, 4 Long-tailed Skuas were recorded/reported by 11:20am! In other words, I was trying to find a way of subtly implying a raised eyebrow at the 4 Long-tailed Skuas reported past Sheringham in the morning (per news services), without being too explicit [oops - may have blown it!] ;)

Ah I think I missed your winker ! One person's Arctic is another person's long-tailed ;)
I think the comment after that pager message was "are there two sheringhams in Norfolk?"
The 30+ people in the posh shelter not seeing any of those birds!

The conditions looked great but i guess there just weren't that many birds in the north sea, still the passage betwen 8.30-10 yesterday was quite nice and it sounded pretty good off cley early today.

Last edited:
Found a fabulous juv Black Tern this afternoon heading west just below me and close in off Gramborough Hill, Salthouse this afternoon and managed to get a record photo!:t:

Full update now on blog and pictures.

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
In other words, I was trying to find a way of subtly implying a raised eyebrow at the 4 Long-tailed Skuas reported past Sheringham that morning (per news services), without being too explicit [oops - may have blown it!] ;)
]

Or it could be that people just don't know how to identify Long-tailed Skuas

look, during my time birding in Norfolk I never claimed to be an amazing birder, I was generally hopeless at bird calls and always felt that I should have found a bit more than I actually did (although I guess a first for Norfolk isn't too bad ;-). However every birder has their strengths and weaknesses and i generally felt that i was an above average seawatcher with a sharp eye and especially on my first year on the coast spent a lot of time seawatching (i'm not claiming that makes a good seawatcher).

How many times are you seawatching and one person picks up a decent bird that is already going away and ID is clinched just before it disappears from view - you wouldn't have seen it if it hadn't been for that one person. In rough weather with a LTS sea-hugging you are likely to get three or four views the whole time it is passing - pretty easy to miss entirely then.

By the sound of things keeping your concentration up for a whole day when the passage was not what was expected would have been hard and people would not have been as focused at 11 and 4.30 than they would have been at 8am. I'm the first to say that on an all day seawatch i would definitely relax and the craic was always brilliant at Sheringham - it would be amazing how much a fresh birder who arrived in late afternoon would start picking up in comparison.

There wasn't too much opportunity for seawatching last year but there was one morning - late October - squally showers ripping in from the North sea - morning light in our eyes, I had a Skua fly past and called it as a LTS in about 1 second, probably shocked i'd called it so quickly I then changed my mind to Arctic. I'm not prone to name dropping MAG picked it up and confirmed the ID - description has been submitted, (i'm confident it will get through - unless the equaliser has been marking my homework ;-) it was missed by every other birder along the Cley stretch and then at Sheringham (in hindsight i'm pretty sure there was another LTS just in front of it that I saw for about a nano-second) - sounds like a fairly typical example right.

I just figure get over it - you missed some Long-tailed Skuas, better luck next time.

look, during my time birding in Norfolk I never claimed to be an amazing birder, I was generally hopeless at bird calls and always felt that I should have found a bit more than I actually did (although I guess a first for Norfolk isn't too bad ;-). However every birder has their strengths and weaknesses and i generally felt that i was an above average seawatcher with a sharp eye and especially on my first year on the coast spent a lot of time seawatching (i'm not claiming that makes a good seawatcher).

How many times are you seawatching and one person picks up a decent bird that is already going away and ID is clinched just before it disappears from view - you wouldn't have seen it if it hadn't been for that one person. In rough weather with a LTS sea-hugging you are likely to get three or four views the whole time it is passing - pretty easy to miss entirely then.

By the sound of things keeping your concentration up for a whole day when the passage was not what was expected would have been hard and people would not have been as focused at 11 and 4.30 than they would have been at 8am. I'm the first to say that on an all day seawatch i would definitely relax and the craic was always brilliant at Sheringham - it would be amazing how much a fresh birder who arrived in late afternoon would start picking up in comparison.

There wasn't too much opportunity for seawatching last year but there was one morning - late October - squally showers ripping in from the North sea - morning light in our eyes, I had a Skua fly past and called it as a LTS in about 1 second, probably shocked i'd called it so quickly I then changed my mind to Arctic. I'm not prone to name dropping MAG picked it up and confirmed the ID - description has been submitted, (i'm confident it will get through - unless the equaliser has been marking my homework ;-) it was missed by every other birder along the Cley stretch and then at Sheringham (in hindsight i'm pretty sure there was another LTS just in front of it that I saw for about a nano-second) - sounds like a fairly typical example right.

I just figure get over it - you missed some Long-tailed Skuas, better luck next time.

Appreciate you have some experience of sea-watching in Norfolk, and you certainly sound 'above average'. That aside, considering you presumably weren't there and don't know who/what you are defending, this seems a slightly strange post?

I'm (at best) a sub-average sea-watcher (lack of time / living 50 miles from the coast doesn't help). I have an accepted Norfolk Storm Petrel (which was missed by several observers at Sheringham that day). In other words, I'm not very good, I've been lucky on a Sheringham sea-watch, and I know the drill.

The point I was making is that the 2 experienced and 3 less-experienced sea-watchers in 'my' shelter (counting myself firmly in the latter camp) - and as far as I can tell, everyone in the 'main' shelter - missed these birds, two of which were reportedly adults, and all of which had gone through by 11:20am (when most of the Arctics were passing, and our concentration was right on the money). More importantly, I was stressing that Long-tailed Skua is a local rarity (which some people don't realise). Perhaps therefore it's a species where nano-second (or even <5-10 second) views, by just one or a few observers amongst c40, should be consigned to the possible/probable category in most cases, rather than being 'newsed' as definite (almost as if using this as a way of 'confirming' the sighting)?

The flip side to the main thrust of your argument could be summed up by the following equation:

very promising weather forecast + inexperienced sea-watchers flock to the coast + high expectations = n(Long-tailed Skua + Pomarine Skua + Sabine's Gull)

where n = numerous and/or nailed-on

If I missed Long-tailed Skuas on Tuesday, there's nothing to get over - I do half-dozen or so autumn sea-watches in N Norfolk, which certainly isn't enough to warrant feeling hardly done by. It's the 'if' I'm interested in though, from a bird recording / reporting point of view. If they're documented properly and get accepted, great! If they were just bunged on a news service and that's the last of the 'record', not so great...

Last edited:
The only seawatching I managed over the last couple of days was from Ousemouth, Lynn Point.

Highlights were 1 Manx Shear, 2 Great and 1 Arctic Skua, 5 Gannet and c20 Common Scoter(drakes)

However, I have the next two weeks off work and aim to be sat at Sheringham/Cley at some point...thought midweek was looking good. ???

Last edited:
Appreciate you have some experience of sea-watching in Norfolk, and you certainly sound 'above average'. That aside, considering you presumably weren't there and don't know who/what you are defending, this seems a slightly strange post?

I'm (at best) a sub-average sea-watcher (lack of time / living 50 miles from the coast doesn't help). I have an accepted Norfolk Storm Petrel (which was missed by several observers at Sheringham that day). In other words, I'm not very good, I've been lucky on a Sheringham sea-watch, and I know the drill.

The point I was making is that the 2 experienced and 3 less-experienced sea-watchers in 'my' shelter (counting myself firmly in the latter camp) - and as far as I can tell, everyone in the 'main' shelter - missed these birds, two of which were reportedly adults, and all of which had gone through by 11:20am (when most of the Arctics were passing, and our concentration was right on the money). More importantly, I was stressing that Long-tailed Skua is a local rarity (which some people don't realise). Perhaps therefore it's a species where nano-second (or even <5-10 second) views, by just one or a few observers amongst c40, should be consigned to the possible/probable category in most cases, rather than being 'newsed' as definite (almost as if using this as a way of 'confirming' the sighting)?

The flip side to the main thrust of your argument could be summed up by the following equation:

very promising weather forecast + inexperienced sea-watchers flock to the coast + high expectations = n(Long-tailed Skua + Pomarine Skua + Sabine's Gull)

where n = numerous and/or nailed-on

If I missed Long-tailed Skuas on Tuesday, there's nothing to get over - I do half-dozen or so autumn sea-watches in N Norfolk, which certainly isn't enough to warrant feeling hardly done by. It's the 'if' I'm interested in though, from a bird recording / reporting point of view. If they're documented properly and get accepted, great! If they were just bunged on a news service and that's the last of the 'record', not so great...

aha the compulsory annual Skua debate, i wasn't there but the same arguments crop up every year and it sounds so familiar and its always a debate where you are one side of the coin or the other.

Through the vacuum of cyberspace your initial post could easily have been interpreted as ''there were some Long-tails claimed past Sheringham, I was there, I didn't see them (with the caveat that I was amongst experienced observers) so they can't have been and I doubt the observers will submit a report''. Look at it again - that may not have been what you intended but again from experience the vast majority of seawatchers who saw less Long-tails than others generally adopted this attitude. I always thought it was a dangerous one to take. After a while when Long-tails were reported I'd already become a believer - I dropped the cynicism and just said 'nice one'. I adopted this approach in general, I never disbelieved any bird report that came out of Norfolk - was too busy doing my own thing to care.

When I first started out seawatching it was frustrating - it would be an adult flying past Cley that we would miss at Sheringham. Then there was a day in 2005 (remember it well because Freddie Flintoff and Hoggard were taking the Aussies to pieces at the Oval). Most birders were trooping up the Point where a big fall was talking place but me and my mate seawatched at Sheringham - there were virtually identical figures to the ones the other day - 120 Arctics, a few Poms and 4 Long-tails. The highlight for us were the Poms but in hindsight I know the exact birds that were the Long-tails simply through the experience I have gained since (we were distracted by a huge pulse of Skuas that included the Poms - sounds familar? - on that day I'm quite content to say we missed them - they're just crafty bugger is all. I'm pretty sure most people know they are a description species since for about 3 months of the year its all ever people talk about!

Anyway as you said looks could be good seawatching this Autumn - not much I miss about the UK but Skuas mmm!

Through the vacuum of cyberspace your initial post could easily have been interpreted as ''there were some Long-tails claimed past Sheringham, I was there, I didn't see them (with the caveat that I was amongst experienced observers) so they can't have been and I doubt the observers will submit a report''.

Try:

''there were some Long-tailed Skuas claimed past Sheringham, I was there, I didn't see them (with the caveat that I was amongst 30+ experienced observers) so I reserve the right to raise an eyebrow. I strongly encourage the observers to submit a description, if they saw enough to be able to do so, and it would be great [for 'science' / our understanding of skua passage] if the record carried enough evidence to be accepted!''

I see where you're going with describing Long-tailed Skuas as being crafty buggers... at the end of the day though, they are still skuas, not crakes or Locustella warblers ;-)

Josh. On the subject of the 2005 ashes series, here is the best bits;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fDZUOGsOXw Quiet probably the best fast bowling attack every produced inside these islands. Enjoy.

As for the subject of small skua id, the best starting point is the excellent Macmillan Guide which in my opinion (for what it is worth) is the best book on British birds for those wanting to improve.

Then add many years of experience, a mindset of caution and an acceptance that a high percentage of distant Skua's can not be given a indentity with any confidence, then seawatching becomes relatively straightforward;)

Juv Long Tailed Skua's are claimed in greater numbers from North Norfolk than from any other point on the North sea coastline! I have not heard a convincing explanation for the more regular occurance of this scarce seabird in North Norfolk than in other regions. I am sure somebody can provide a convincing argument!!

Happy seawatchingB :)

Last edited:
Flamborough gets plenty of Long-tails on the "north sea coastline" tbh. I doubt they are tarred with the same sceptical brush North Norfolk ones seem to be....In all honesty there not that rare. North Norfolk should get plenty on good conditions and frequently does. I tend to believe the reports..why wouldnt we...Most birders would only claim Long-taileds if they were pretty sure, otherwise they may use probable and frequently do. Seen well there not that difficult if your pretty experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back