• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (5 Viewers)

I heard from a birder in Holme (late pm) that the Black Kite AND Raven are still around at Holme!!!! Nice of people to ring the news out.... not!

Grasshopper Warbler reeling in the NOA Carpark today which was nice.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Hi Penny. It was mentioned earlier in this thread but unfortunately it seems that the hunting syndicate or their lawyers have done their homework. A comment from the RSPB is included in this post. I agree it is sickening.

Ron
Agreed. Nonetheless they are obliged to obey the law: that includes planning acts and what can and cannot be hunted (and when) according to Wildlife and Countryside acts.....so I hope the local authorities are paying careful attention.

For once a great afternoons family outing to the brecks where my braver wife & children had booked to "Go Ape" ...

We had a couple of hours to "waste" at Lynford Arboretum hoping for the 2 bar(s). While the girls went for a non-birding wander we had decent views of several common x-bills and prolonged views of the putative male 2 bar. Sadly - as so often these days - birds were clearly reluctant to come down to drink thanks to the 2 self-appointed camera "gods" who had decided they needed to stand 20 yards in front of all the other birders ...

Having worked the rest of the site with limited success we were heading back to the car when I looked up & saw a big raptor going over. A shout to my wife of "large raptor" solicited little response - but shouting "HUGE RAPTOR" worked & we had an obvious WT Eagle go overhead & drift slowly west with a (dwarfed) common buzzard for company. Fortunately we managed to get half a dozen other birders on to it before it was lost to view.

What had turned out to be a good day got even better once I had dropped the family off to do their monkey business. Walking down river from Santon Downham I had stonking 10 minute scope views of a female Lesser Spotted Woodpecker - my first in 14 years anywhere!!! There were also large numbers of near-breeding plumage Brambling both down and up river from the bridge - I saw at least 200, so probably many more along the valley, with lots of Siskins & a few Lesser Redpoll. A great day out.

Chris A.

Last edited:
A super weekend out with family and some surprising sightings up around Norwich area whiling driving
6x common buzzards over head in the sunshine and a cracking Kingfisher, female Bullfinch , fly over Stock doves& Oystercatchers and my first Swallow. Happy days
Shaky

I'm sure it hasn't escaped the attention of Norfolk birders that the Baikal Teal is nearly here!
This evening its within sight of the border at Pymore. Just a short waddle away....

My first visit to Salthouse since the storms and very sad to see the area as it has been left. Still, I did get nice views of a female Wheatear and an LRP. The bitter wind made it quite painful though.
Sculthorpe Moor highlights:
Pair of Treecreepers actively feeding young,
2 Marsh Harriers from the Fen hide along with all the usuals

http://www.ajonestheearlybirder.blogspot.co.uk

Titchwell April 15th

Today's highlights

Little ringed plover - 2 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - pair on grazing meadow pool
Ring ouzel - 1 west mid morning
Lesser whitethroat - 1st if the year singing along the access road this morning
Yellow wagtail - several birds through this afternoon

Paul

Saw the Baikal Teal in Cambs today, at long range, in the shimmery heat haze.
The pool is frustratingly close to the Norfolk border (only a a mile or so), but I'm not sure what the habitat looks like at Welney at the moment, or if it is duck-enticing ... does anyone know?
The pool it is on looks unlikely to dry up anytime soon, and indeed it looks like some sort of semi-permanent water? It is a small pool packed with ducks; mostly Teal (and a Green-winged) but also plenty of Wigeon, plus Shovelers, Gadwall, Pintail, and Mallards. Plenty of Coots too, as well as egrets, herons etc.
As was suggested on site today, it seems unlikely that all the ducks will remain on this pool for much longer; that number of birds on this date implies the majority should, at some point, disperse or migrate.
It'll be interesting to see what move the Baikal makes next ... Welney, Titchwell, Cley or Russia?

Things have certainly moved on apace since I last hit up the patch. Today, I was surprised to hear a Reed Warbler at Church Marsh before Sedge Warbler, the latter appearing numerous. 2 House Martin flew over the house (as they should) this morning, and this evening (whilst waiting for 2 Crane to hop the river) 21 Sand Martin were hawking over Rockland Broad.

Cheers,
Jim.

Just had a lovely couple of days at North Norfolk, no paticular rareitites but we did witness this carrion crow robbing Avocets at Titchwell this afternoon.

Attachments

• 1A Carrion Crow Corvus corone robbing Avocet Egg  at Titchwell north Norfolk  140414 LQ.jpg
    1A Carrion Crow Corvus corone robbing Avocet Egg at Titchwell north Norfolk 140414 LQ.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 126
A Nuthatch which I saw calling in the woods at Strumpshaw a couple of weeks ago. Nowhere near the 'studio stump'. ;) I was surprised by the volume of its call.

Ron

Attachments

• Calling Nuthatch 2 small.jpg
    Calling Nuthatch 2 small.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 97

Users who are viewing this thread

Back