• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

You'll see something good Penny. We're heading out of county for the weekend and the good birds ALWAYS turn up when we're not here :)

Same here Dawn, we dipped on the ring ouzel's at Chosley
yesterday, whilst others saw them both before and after, in the copse near the road at the end of the lane.
Still I was wearing my new contacts, at least that's my excuse!

Strumpshaw fill-up!

Great little snatched session with Linda at the Fen: first 'goodie' was a close Willow Warbler singing its head off by the Sandy Path. Ben Lewis was in Tower Hide and confirmed that the pair of Garganey were still on the reserve: on cue, they flew in and swam into the grass to sleep! As Linda & I were thinking of moving on, a pair of Common Cranes flew over the reedbeds towards Surlingham and a Bittern relocated in front of the Dr's house!

We were walking back along the riverside when our first Cuckoo of the year gave a curious, strangulated call! He soon tuned up, though, and gave distant views over the River Yare. Last stop was Reception Hide, where the long-staying Little Gull gave better views than on Monday, both in flight and on the water. (More pictures on the blog!)

These pix were with my Sigma 70 / 300: wish I'd had the Sigma 150 / 500 I'm picking up on Thursday!

Attachments

• GG2.jpg
    GG2.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 135
  • GG BEST.jpg
    GG BEST.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Cranes 3.jpg
    Cranes 3.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Cuckoo best.jpg
    Cuckoo best.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 161
  • LG best.jpg
    LG best.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Titchwell April 16th

Today's highlights

White wagtail - 1st of the year on the fresh marsh this afternoon
Red crested pochard - 8 (5 drakes) on the reserve today
Red kite - 1 west just before midday
Reed warbler - 1st of the year singing along the main path
Velvet scoter - 9 still offshore
Whimbrel - 1 west
Spotted redshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Titchwell April 17th

Today's highlights

A very quiet day, hopefully things will pick up over the Easter weekend

Grasshopper warbler - 1st of the year singing at the end of East Trail this morning
Wheatear - 2 on the grazing meadow
Yellow wagtail - 4 west
Pink footed goose - 1 with greylags
Little ringed plover - 1 on fresh marsh
Bittern - 1 booming in reedbed north of Fen Hide

Paul

Patch list up to 99 for the year this morning, a Grasshopper Warbler the latest addition. Sand and House Martin, Reed and Sedge Warbler all added since returning from Scotland. Also some interesting Marsh Harrier activity at Church Marsh: 4 individuals around and a possible nesting pair.

On the 15th, I encountered something new for me: a mixed-singing Willow Warbler. Undoubtedly a Willow Warbler in tone, but seemingly copying the pattern of Chiffchaff song. This link http://deanar.org.uk/general/articles/wwmixedsong.htm#wwccswitcher provides some background to this phenomenon, which is perhaps not as rare as my own experience suggests. Any thoughts or observations on this welcome. Ben- I think I read on Twitter that you had a mixed singer earlier this month? Or am I making that up?!

A complete picture as always on my blog.

Cheers,
Jim.

Brecks & fens

Had a nice morning out today, had the Baikal teal just over the border all to myself for 45 minutes! Very smart. Then dropped in at Lynford, tons of Crossbills between the car park and folly including 2 male Two-barred crossbills.

One thing I did see was a group of photographers camped out a few inches from the large dirty puddles inside the walled garden ? Maybe a cammo tent would be a better idea. Amazingly the crossbills kept well away and drank from some of their other favoured spots whilst I was there!

Brecks & fens

Had a nice morning out today, had the Baikal teal just over the border all to myself for 45 minutes! Very smart. Then dropped in at Lynford, tons of Crossbills between the car park and folly including 2 male Two-barred crossbills.

One thing I did see was a group of photographers camped out a few inches from the large dirty puddles inside the walled garden ? Maybe a cammo tent would be a better idea. Amazingly the crossbills kept well away and drank from some of their other favoured spots whilst I was there!

Lynford is more like a photography zoo at the moment! Every area you visit there's at least 1 person camped out with their canon 500mm just waiting for either firecrests, tbc's, hawfinch etc. Caught a few people blaring away tapes too.

Lynford is more like a photography zoo at the moment! Every area you visit there's at least 1 person camped out with their canon 500mm just waiting for either firecrests, tbc's, hawfinch etc. Caught a few people blaring away tapes too.

Looking forward to the wildlife photo workshops being advertised at Lynford zoo:) Based on your definition an abundance of 500mm lens and Zoo's in Norfolk:)

Last edited:
Brecks & fens

You mean these 3 characters , pitched so close that no crossers appeared whilst I was there. Along with about 8 other folk, we were at the gate, waiting but basically, a quick wander to The Folly meant you could get good views of the birds on offer.
Cheers,
Jono

Attachments

• DSC_00120006.JPG
    DSC_00120006.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 415
You mean these 3 characters , pitched so close that no crossers appeared whilst I was there. Along with about 8 other folk, we were at the gate, waiting but basically, a quick wander to The Folly meant you could get good views of the birds on offer.
Cheers,
Jono

I did wonder how long it would take somebody to post a photo of those guilty of disturbing the Crossbills? So more open and shut cases investigated by the Norfolk birdforum police! The problem is that there are many photos of crossbills on the net coming to puddles at Lynford, so the conclusion on disturbance is probably a flawed one. On that basis whereas we like to go to nature reserves which we have to ourselves the reality is that sometimes these quiet places can be more busy than rush hour trains. These people with their lens have much right to be at Lynford or in fact any other reserve as anybody else. Also people on this thread have historically posted photos which they argue show individuals disturbing wild birds. Sometimes they may have a valid point on others occasions they have proved to be wrong, when those in the photos who are rightly very pissed off respond. The Rosy Starling at Wells last year was a very good example of how a single photo does not give the full picture. I also think posing pictures of members of the public on public forums is not the way forward. Anyway, off to pack my 500 mm lens for a day visiting zoos!

Last edited:
I did wonder how long it would take somebody to post a photo of those guilty of disturbing the Crossbills? So more open and shut cases investigated by the Norfolk birdforum police! The problem is that there are many photos of crossbills on the net coming to puddles at Lynford, so the conclusion on disturbance is probably a flawed one. On that basis whereas we like to go to nature reserves which we have to ourselves the reality is that sometimes these quiet places can be more busy than rush hour trains. These people with their lens have much right to be at Lynford or in fact any other reserve as anybody else. Also people on this thread have historically posted photos which they argue show individuals disturbing wild birds. Sometimes they may have a valid point on others occasions they have proved to be wrong, when those in the photos who are rightly very pissed off respond. The Rosy Starling at Wells last year was a very good example of how a single photo does not give the full picture. I also think posing pictures of members of the public on public forums is not the way forward. Anyway, off to pack my 500 mm lens for a day visiting zoos!

Oh come on mark everyone likes a good witch hunt, adds a bit of spice. The only pics i've seen from that spot were by rob wilson, he's a professional so would shirley have been in a hide arriving before dawn and leaving after dark ?

Titchwell April 19th

Today's highlights

Cuckoo - 1st of the year calling from East Trail
Spoonbill - 1 west this morning then back east this afternoon
Little ringed plover - 2 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Little gull - immature on fresh marsh
Brambling - late female still on feeders
Med gull - 4 on fresh marsh

Paul

re Photographers at Lynford.

I have seen some crouched and sitting very still on low stools with only the absolute minimum of movement needed to take photos and birds not disturbed. Others have been leaning against the white container, camera on extended tripod two or three strides away and then moving to camera when a bird comes down to drink. Also if conversations can be heard from the gateway then it is way too loud.
Today, with the gates shut a photographer or two still thought it was OK to climb the fence and go inside the garden. Whether the owner had given permission or not it is still lacking thought as other people will think it is permissible the enter the property if others are seen inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back