• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (13 Viewers)

With all the migrants in Norfolk at the moment, I am surprised at the dearth of posts. What's happened to all the regulars of the last couple of years. Is there another site to get Norfolk updates, apart from Penny and Paul E no one mentions the North Norfolk coast. Its a shame, as I and many of my birding mates read this thread avidly.
B :)John

As others have said, many use Twitter for birding news now, but as has been pointed out this is not a medium for debate and I for one miss a hearty discussion on the Norfolk thread. Some key players from the past few years have perhaps decided enough is enough; I was speaking to one of them only 2 weeks ago at Winterton. As Josh says, perhaps this thread has had its heyday.

I hope not, because I have met many birding friends through this very thread and cut my teeth saying stupid things here (still do that of course). I would hope newcomers to birding can still use this thread as a resource, but that would require people to post, myself included.

I am a member of a totally unrelated forum, different hobby. The community there is alive, folk regularly comment if only to say nice one, well done, enjoyed what you have to say. There is even a secret santa, forum meet ups etc. Real sense of community. I am not saying we should be buying each other underwear for Christmas, but it is a real contrast.

So, onto birding. I'm stealing this from Kieran who tweeted yesterday, but no wonder Yorkshire is doing so well compared to us when 50 people twitch a Yellow-browed Warbler and RB Fly on the north coast. I am of course bitter after putting in the miles at Waxham yesterday and seeing sweet fa, but with the run of easterlies coming to an end now I wonder what has slipped through unseen. I don't live on the coast, and have to use my time wisely, but next time I might just do as the Romans do.

Cheers,
Jim.

Oh well its good to see that some of the regulars are still around. You probably need a couple of cripplers to get back the Norfolk mojo. Don't let this thread die B :)John
I sensed things were wrong, when my local patch in Worcestershire - Upton Warren has more hits per day.:t:

I trust you will be submitting a description for the diddly one josh, required by the norfolk comittee now ;)

My, how things have changed, so you mean to say you now have to submit a description for 'skua sp'? And describe a bird when you actually weren't sure what it was ;-)

A bit gutted to only mop up one of the Cley quality - Balearic Shear, happy that the other stuff seen past Cley was seen by competent observers - stuff goes past Cley that isn't seen at Sheringham and visa versa and will continue to do so!

Olive-backed Pipit

The Olive-backed Pipit was showing well this afternoon - my first opportunity to get there after a weekend with the grandkids. More shots on my Flickr site.

Attachments

• Olive-backed Pipit 140921 IMG_7246 DB.jpg
    Olive-backed Pipit 140921 IMG_7246 DB.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 154
Jim you mention debate but for me personally I feel I did all my debating during the Golden Age spanning c2005-12, during that period there were hearty debates on amongst other things field craft, stringing, suppression, justification of patch suppression, trespassing, photographers, weather, new sites, bird-finding, fall conditions and a lot more people just talked about their day - oh yeah and there was the annual Skua controversy. There seemed to be regular young blood coming through livening things up when things started to get stale. I certainly cut my teeth and as a youngish birder I really felt a thirst for knowledge. But a bit like this whole site it seems with less strong voices coming through unashamed to speak up and make mistakes it almost feels like there is nothing left to debate, Doesn't make the birding duller but does make for less conversation.

But then twitter just feels eternally nit-picky and cyclical, just seems people can say compilation of fairly ill thought over comments - moan about the general public, laugh at other peoples misID's, justify self important birding prowess because not a twitcher (but really are), post photo that cancel out a thousand words repeat ad nauseum hmm

As Dave has just said (lovely picture by the way:t:), fabulous views of the Olive-backed Pipit today, so good I went back again later! Ditto with the Gramborough Hill's showy Barred Warbler! Yellow-browed Warbler did not show though.

Penny:girl:

Jim you mention debate but for me personally I feel I did all my debating during the Golden Age spanning c2005-12, during that period there were hearty debates on amongst other things field craft, stringing, suppression, justification of patch suppression, trespassing, photographers, weather, new sites, bird-finding, fall conditions and a lot more people just talked about their day - oh yeah and there was the annual Skua controversy. There seemed to be regular young blood coming through livening things up when things started to get stale. I certainly cut my teeth and as a youngish birder I really felt a thirst for knowledge. But a bit like this whole site it seems with less strong voices coming through unashamed to speak up and make mistakes it almost feels like there is nothing left to debate, Doesn't make the birding duller but does make for less conversation.

But then twitter just feels eternally nit-picky and cyclical, just seems people can say compilation of fairly ill thought over comments - moan about the general public, laugh at other peoples misID's, justify self important birding prowess because not a twitcher (but really are), post photo that cancel out a thousand words repeat ad nauseum hmm

Well said Josh, nice to have you back even if only for a week. Hope you get to see some good birds.

To be fair Mark Rayment that has only ever really been an issue for you, this is BF not the Stazi
Josh. I think you have a short memory. I recall much censorship in your drug induced phase. I suspect you have little recall of events. Must have been some good gear;) suspect it probably helped with the Skua Descriptions.

jays on the move

Approx 120 jays from inner bank of snettisham coastal park in about an hour and a quarter.still a few swallows about too. Ray roche

Approx 120 jays from inner bank of snettisham coastal park in about an hour and a quarter.still a few swallows about too. Ray roche

What were the times Ray? There was a good movement at Holme NOA and a flock of 28 through Titchwell at 945am

Let's hope we get a passage like the one on 6th & 7th Oct 2012 when over 1200 went through Hunstanton. It was awesome!

Between approx 10.45 and 12. For the jays. First group was 20 strong over beach road. Biggest group was a loose flock of 28 over the trees looking back to beach road and the caravan parks.would have been nice to have been able to stay longer and see how llong the movement went on.

Just a quick thank you to all those members who do post there sighting on here.

This is the only bird site I visit and enjoy ready your posts and read every one .

I am amazed how many bird you report I have never even heard of and love to see the photos you also post..

Thanks you again .

Regards Graham

Good evening,

I'm thinking of going for the Greenish Warbler at Winterton (if it sticks) towards the latter end of the week. I haven't been into the North dunes before and wonder whether someone would be kind enough to give me some directions, and is it easier to walk in from the Nelson head track?

Thanks in advance

Andrew.

Lots of Jays passing through Strumpshaw Fen over the past few days too. 26 seen going NE in 15mins yesterday from reception hide. More seen today, but was working too hard to count/notice more ;)

A spied a flock of 68 Jays circling over my Hunstanton house at 07: 30 hrs: I rushed to the cliffs but saw no others in the hour that I watched ! 4 Meadow Pipits were compensation though......

Inspired by Rays Jays Dave, Andy & I did our first Cliffs session of the Autumn in the hope of some Corvid action. The first half hour went by with not many birds being noted but towards the end of the second our first flock of Jays passed through consisting of 9 birds. Over the course of the next hour and a half we had a small trickle and by the end totaled 30 birds south-west.

Most birds were distant from our normal location so after breakfast I did another two hours closer to Hunstanton Park where the birds had been appearing to drop down in to. Within minutes upon arrival a flock of 22 Jays went through following the edge of the park & dropping down below the tree line. Occasionally birds would land in the woods, resting for a few minutes before joining other Jays gaining height and passing through. At the end of the watch I had 102 birds taking the days total to 132.

Great to watch these birds coming in but I do wonder where from? Continental birds? and why the early move? Acorn crop failure?

As well as the noteworthy Jay movement we set a new Hunstanton record for Grey Wagtails with 23 birds smashing the previous record of 12 set on the 9th October 2007.

Look forwards to your comments regarding origin of these Jays,

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back