• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (4 Viewers)

Jim,

The Lincs Steppe Shrike from a few years back was photographed sitting on birders hats and shoulders, so I'm guessing its a feature of the race. Cracking bird and long-awaited for Norfolk birders.

Storms all over the county at the mo. Next few days hold promise.

Yes, I remember those photos. Always regretted not going to see that bird, until now!

Misty start round the patch this morning. WeBs count as expected with over 20 Teal, 1 Water Rail, 1 Heron and 2 Kingfisher.
Clearing nicely now, heading to the east coast after an early lunch until dusk. Cannot wait to get out.

View attachment 517403

I have bumped into a few exotic things in the dunes at Holkham before, but never one of these - a male California Quail - seen today north of the 'crossroads' under the pines along the dune edge. Obviously escaped from somewhere but still a great looking bird !

The quail (or at least a male California Quail, I assume it must have been the same one) was by the boardwalk at Burnham Overy yesterday. It ventured out into the field, along the path and sat on a fence post for a bit but spent most of the time in the clump of bushes beside the apple tree. It called a few times from within the bushes. Some photos here.

Really? This implies that you think (a) the BBC have a new-found habit of reporting facts and not sensationalising every story they come across (as an example I refer you to the 'Everybody is going to die of AIDs/Bovine TB/bird-flu/ebola' storylines); (b) a nature reserve with wildfowl on it offers more of a bird-strike threat than any field in the county full of pink-feet or greylags (it doesn't); and (c) you think the USAF gives a t*ss anyway (they don't). In case you haven't noticed they have been doing what they like, where they like, for a long, long time, without any real regard for the consequences. They have wiped out many times more of their own combat forces in the last 12 months with gung-ho 'friendly-fire' than the sum of the unfortunate crew of the pave-hawk. It doesn't matter how many signatures you put on a petition, they will just do as they please... unless of course you can prove that they are scaring pheasant poults out of their wits, or spoiling the grouse shooting in some way. In which case I'm sure our pathetic, snivelling government will rapidly call a COBRA meeting to sort things out!

Getting back to the birds... Red Kites are still present at more than one breeding location in the county

Bit harsh. Came back from the pub after a few too many with Mr Farage have we? Bye bye Norfolk: one day you'll might grow up and have something other than opinionated right wing middle aged men with a hard on for rarities post on your forum and then people may actually start posting on here again.

Not quite the afternoon I had hoped for.
Began at Waxham, very quiet save for an odd ticking in the small wood near the holiday cottage. Couldn't pin it down to anything and the bush I assumed it had come from gave nothing up. Of course I was thinking Radde's, but I have also heard some Robins make odd noises over the years.

Hard work from Horsey corner to the pipe dump and back; Brambling south and steady passage of Mipits all I could muster.

Then drove to Happisburgh. Whimpwell Green silent, no repeat of last year. Heard a single Yellow-browed Warbler at the edge of the cricket pitch in the village.

Hope everyone enjoys the next few days, I will be watching on with envy.

Well done to Ben Lewis for finding the Penduline Tit, perhaps I can manage this after work one day this week.

Cheers,
Jim.

Bit harsh. Came back from the pub after a few too many with Mr Farage have we? Bye bye Norfolk: one day you'll might grow up and have something other than opinionated right wing middle aged men with a hard on for rarities post on your forum and then people may actually start posting on here again.

Can`t see how you come to that conclusion from Willowgrouse`s post Fred, perhaps if you got out of the village a bit more often you might see that, hyperbole aside, he`s not too far from the truth of how things really work in the wider world. No doubt you also have your own opinions though, as we all do. I also suspect that he`s probably of no particular political persuasion either. After all, whoever we vote for, the government still get in, to pursue their own agendas (usually driven by money) Bit harsh, I don`t think so.

Dunno who the bloke was who peeped me with his dog whistle at Warham greens to tell us of his rf bluetail find but if he posts here, thanks very much!!
That's a bird I have wanted to see for a very long time so am over the moon. :) ps. I think his first name is John.

Well done peteh.

There's been no further updates on Birdguides since the original message. Did it show again this afternoon/early evening?

Any other news from the coast? It would be nice to hear from anyone that was able to make it out today.

Here in Thetford it's rained for nearly 24 hours. My colleague John Marchant found a Ring Ouzel down the Nunnery Lakes at lunchtime, though no further sign. Few Redwings and Blackbirds around.

Well done peteh.

There's been no further updates on Birdguides since the original message. Did it show again this afternoon/early evening?

Any other news from the coast? It would be nice to hear from anyone that was able to make it out today.

Here in Thetford it's rained for nearly 24 hours. My colleague John Marchant found a Ring Ouzel down the Nunnery Lakes at lunchtime, though no further sign. Few Redwings and Blackbirds around.

I left at about 4.50pm and it was there. There had been about 3 reports on rba whilst I was there i think. There was about 10 people there when we left. Including a bloke who had been Watching it but kept it all to himself whilst about 4 of us were searching the copse trying to find it. Not exactly impressed by that behaviour but John's initial kindness and the friendliness of the other birders there made it an overall positive experience.
We had gone to Warham optimistically hoping for a rfb or rbfly whilst walking towards Stiffkey.
We found a few Brambling in with chaffinch and also a yellow browed warbler in the bushes about half way along.

"Its all kicked off with stacks of birds" was a text I received at work this afternoon from a birder out in the field:eek!::eek!:

Rushed home after work, rushed straight out and drove to the nearest half decent place before it gets dark to Snettisham Coastal Park – got there about 5.40pm. In the pouring rain the place was alive with thrushes: blackbirds, songthrushes, redwings – also robins and hedgesparrows. Couldn't find any with a blue tail though!!! At one point I could see at least 5 robins in one small hawthorn! There are tons more birds that are not on the pager yet. Heard about 2 Great Grey Shrikes and several Ring Ouzels at Walsey Hills alone!!!! So frustrating to be at work when its like this! I have next week off, I really hope I havn't got it wrong!!!

Penny:girl:

Dunno who the bloke was who peeped me with his dog whistle at Warham greens to tell us of his rf bluetail find but if he posts here, thanks very much!!
That's a bird I have wanted to see for a very long time so am over the moon. :) ps. I think his first name is John.
Hi Pete, glad you saw it – they are just fabulous birds and if I could have got there, I would have done after work! Sorry that you met one not so nice birder! "John" is John Furse - I have just opened my emails to see a fabulous picture of the Red-flanked Bluetail he found:t::t::t: That's not the first he's found either!

Best Wishes

Last edited:
Hi Pete, glad you saw it – they are just fabulous birds and if I could have got there, I would have done after work! Sorry that you met one nice so nice birder! "John" is John Furse - I have just opened my emails to see a fabulous picture of the Red-flanked Bluetail he found:t::t::t: That's not the first he's found either!

Best Wishes

Cheers, good to know.
I didn't manage any photos in the pouring rain unfortunately and have just found out my 7d is now dead it got so soaked!! Whoops. Still, I think a red flanked bluetail is worth it :D

I'm over in Norfolk for a few days with Clive A from today. Weather was shocking but we managed to see the Steppe Grey Shrike. Allbeit in the pouring rain. By the time we heard about the Bluetail it was too late so we're hoping it's still there in the morning. Seawatching didn't produce the Skuas we'd hoped for but we did get a good passage of Little Gulls. We had 169 in total which included 25 through fresh marsh. We also had 2 Arctic Skuas, 2 Manx, drake Merganser and a Sarnie Tern.

Cheers, good to know.
I didn't manage any photos in the pouring rain unfortunately and have just found out my 7d is now dead it got so soaked!! Whoops. Still, I think a red flanked bluetail is worth it :D

Oh Pete!!!! This happened to me with my 7D (in October a couple of years back, in awesome conditions at Burnham Overy Dunes!) ...... open all compartments to the camera and sit in airing cupboard (being careful not to let anyone go in there afterwards, so as not to get any dust or fluff over internal mechanisms. Makes me laugh as the camera is supposed to be waterproof but my 300ml lens isn't... so the two married together does not mean its waterproof!!! Hope it works again:eek!:

John's photo is now on my blog HERE.

Cheers, good to know.

I think I may have met you there! Myself and 2 other 'young birders' my camera was also brutally murdered during that period!

Fantastic day today birds literally ever!

A brief hour on the Lowestoft coast yesterday afternoon also hinted at the arrival: 100s of redwing, scores of song thrush, snow buntings, knackered brambling, score of goldcrests etc. I'm up and ready for N Norfolk today...

I think I may have met you there! Myself and 2 other 'young birders' my camera was also brutally murdered during that period!

Fantastic day today birds literally ever!

Aha yes. Good to meet you 3 and nice chatting to whichever one I was chatting to :)
Camera is still proper dead this morning. I'll be buying some rice later in the day. Question is if it is dead do I preorder a 7d Mkii even though I haven't saved up yet or do I get a second hand 7d to tide me over?

Luckily I can get use of my friends 50d whilst I'm over (although there's potential for a fight for it if there's something to get photos of!).

I'm also up ready for hammering the coast bushes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back