• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (3 Viewers)

Little Bustard?

Anyone know anything about this? As I was driving through the backlanes from Blofield to Blofield Heath around mid-day, I noticed a guy staring intently into a large ploughed field... I wonder?

Ah! Just read the Rare Birds Thread: I now understand your comment. I was a little confused by the RBA map which has said 'No sign of the Little Bustard' all afternoon!

Last edited:
4 Norfolk rarities in Thetford in a fortnight?!

Yes you read that right: not 1 but 4 description birds in Thetford in the last fortnight! They have all been Caspian Gulls, though...

An adult at the Nunnery Lakes on 12/1 was a first for the site (if accepted); since then, a 2cy on 22/1, a different, Polish/E German ringed 2cy on 24/1 and a 3cy on 25-26/1. Kinda like buses, then.

Perhaps the most noteworthy was the 3cy...turns out that Pete Wilson and Dawn Balmer found and photographed the same individual 10 miles away on 24/1 at Hockwold Flash! Now there's a bird that knows which county is best (though had it chosen Suffolk, it would've saved yet another description!) ;)

Photo composite attached; Pete's image from Hockwold Flash in the middle, sandwiched by my phonesoped dross from the Nunnery Lakes.

Attachments

• CaspianGull_24-26015_HockwoldFlash-NunneryLakes.jpg
    CaspianGull_24-26015_HockwoldFlash-NunneryLakes.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Nice report there Steve.

I lucked in today after a text from Ben Lewis alerted me to a lone Bewick's Swan grazing on Langley Marshes. Managed to connect this afternoon, a patch lifer and that's both expected Wild Swans in the bag this year!

Nice to catch up with some common residents this weekend, the highlight was a Nuthatch at Wheatfen. Lovely to watch but makes your neck ache somewhat!

Birds in song include Chaffinch, Stock Dove, Great Tit and Song Thrush.

Cheers,
Jim.

Thanks Jim... and thank you for your regular Yare valley reports. Always good to read about what's in the area. I cut my birding teeth at Surlingham when I was a kid and have vivid memories of seeing my first ever Water Rail and Little Ringed Plovers from what I think was called the old Whalley Hide. Also, my first ever Lesser Redpoll was seen at the wardens cottage - a superb summer plumaged male. The rarest bird I ever found there was a Hooded Crow (mobbing an escaped Harris's Hawk!!)
I still visit there from time to time and enjoy it best in spring when the first warblers arrive and sometimes go there in early autumn for waders and insects.
Hope you get plenty of good birding there this year and look forward to reading about it.

Steve.

*** New Bird Club in Norfolk***

the inaugural meeting of the North East Norfolk Bird Club will be in Aylmerton Village Hall on Thursday January 29th at 7.30 pm.

Moss Taylor will be talking about 40 years of Birding in Sheringham

Everyone welcome

The club features a full programme of walks and talks.

Full details at http://www.nenbc.co.uk/

Titchwell January 28th

Today's highlights

Spotted redshank - 3 on Volunteer Marsh
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 20 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 3 on fresh marsh

Paul

Titchwell January 29th

Today's highlights

Water pipit - 1 on drained grazing meadow pool
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Bittern - 2 from Fen Hide
Barn owl - 2 hunting at dusk

Paul

Titchwell January 30th

Today's highlights

Hen harrier - ringtail hunting over saltmarsh this morning
Bittern - several sightings again today. Birds being seen daily from Fen Hide at the moment
Woodcock - 1+ in scrub but elusive
Water pipit - 1 on drained grazing meadow pool
Barn owl - 1 hunting along East Trail this afternoon

Paul

Thanks Jim... and thank you for your regular Yare valley reports. Always good to read about what's in the area. I cut my birding teeth at Surlingham when I was a kid and have vivid memories of seeing my first ever Water Rail and Little Ringed Plovers from what I think was called the old Whalley Hide. Also, my first ever Lesser Redpoll was seen at the wardens cottage - a superb summer plumaged male. The rarest bird I ever found there was a Hooded Crow (mobbing an escaped Harris's Hawk!!)
I still visit there from time to time and enjoy it best in spring when the first warblers arrive and sometimes go there in early autumn for waders and insects.
Hope you get plenty of good birding there this year and look forward to reading about it.

Steve.

Very kind Steve.

Sadly the Whalley Hide is no more, it was a little past its best and a sluice was added in its place which will hopefully encourage more Waders over the coming years. I think you are right though- Spring is superb in Surlingham and I equally look forward to those halcyon Summer days mooching about the village from Wheatfen to Church Marsh looking at Dragonflies.

This week, I have been on the hunt for 3 Mandarin reported by Ben Lewis. He had them earlier in the week down at Coldham Hall sailing club, but despite dawn and dusk efforts pre and post work, nothing doing.

A busier weekend ahead for me but will be patching as usual on Monday.

Jim.

Titchwell January 31st

Today's highlights

Unsurprisingly they were all this morning!!

Snow bunting - 12 west along beach
Ruff - 17 on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 1 on drained grazing meadow pool with 3 rock pipits
Bittern - 1 from Fen Hide late morning
Avocet - 7 on fresh marsh

Paul

LOCAL BIRDING 2015 - JANUARY.

Over the last two or three years I've really been neglecting my home patch in favour of coastal birding, twitching etc but this year I've decided its time for a resurgence of birding in my local area. The years 2006-2011 were a very productive time, and on local terms it was a real purple patch. My birding mate Matthew was living here and between us we found some great quality birds including Black-throated Diver, Great Grey Shrike, Iceland Gull, Quail and a certain Barn Owl!! It is my hope this year to recapture some of that magic from this period but it will be hard work and common place birds on and around the coast like Wheatear, Green Sandpiper and Red Kite will be good finds here. However, I am up for the challenge and with a minimum personal requirement of one trip out every week I may even come across something rarer with luck.

I began the birding year on 6th Jan at Saxlingham Thorpe where there was a very nice Grey Wagtail at the sewage works. Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers called and a small flock of Fieldfare and Redwings fed in the adjacent field.
A couple of Bullfinches called from the Foxhole area and a Mistle Thrush sang from a telegraph wire. A Woodcock flushed from a rough common was very pleasing as was a lovely bright Goldcrest hanging from a dormant hawthorn looking like a Christmas bauble not yet taken down. A single Little Owl began calling which sparked up two more pairs either side of me and lastly a Common Buzzard circled over the wood.

On 10th I went along the Tas Valley at Forncett quite late in the day and found a small Yellowhammer roost of about 15 birds. Three more Common Buzzards were still on the wing in the setting sunlight and a Little Egret flew along the valley. A small group of 13 Golden Plovers flew east and a Barn Owl was hunting in the field next to my parked car.

On 20th I went to Great Moulton. It was the only day available to me that week. The weather was poor and consequently the birding was hard work. Several Bullfinches were seen though and my first local Treecreeper of the year was noted.

If I thought that was hard, a trip out to Fritton Common on 26th was even harder, in what was virtually a bird-free afternoon with just a single Meadow Pipit, Treecreeper and 17 Golden Plovers over being the only noteworthy birds.

Back to better form on 30th in the Tasburgh / Low Tharston area with my first Nuthatch and Marsh Tits of the year and a Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming. A pair of Stock Doves displayed despite quite cold frosty conditions and the best observation of the month was of a Fox out in broad daylight stealthily hunting and completely oblivious to me. It has been a good month for Little Egrets locally with seven or eight widespread birds which are all almost certainly different individuals.

Species - 48.

Steve.

Last edited:
Excellent stuff Steve, am looking forward to reading your reports throughout the year.

LOCAL BIRDING 2015 - JANUARY.

Over the last two or three years I've really been neglecting my home patch in favour of coastal birding, twitching etc but this year I've decided its time for a resurgence of birding in my local area. The years 2006-2011 were a very productive time, and on local terms it was a real purple patch. My birding mate Matthew was living here and between us we found some great quality birds including Black-throated Diver, Great Grey Shrike, Iceland Gull, Quail and a certain Barn Owl!! It is my hope this year to recapture some of that magic from this period but it will be hard work and common place birds on and around the coast like Wheatear, Green Sandpiper and Red Kite will be good finds here. However, I am up for the challenge and with a minimum personal requirement of one trip out every week I may even come across something rarer with luck.

I began the birding year on 6th Jan at Saxlingham Thorpe where there was a very nice Grey Wagtail at the sewage works. Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers called and a small flock of Fieldfare and Redwings fed in the adjacent field.
A couple of Bullfinches called from the Foxhole area and a Mistle Thrush sang from a telegraph wire. A Woodcock flushed from a rough common was very pleasing as was a lovely bright Goldcrest hanging from a dormant hawthorn looking like a Christmas bauble not yet taken down. A single Little Owl began calling which sparked up two more pairs either side of me and lastly a Common Buzzard circled over the wood.

On 10th I went along the Tas Valley at Forncett quite late in the day and found a small Yellowhammer roost of about 15 birds. Three more Common Buzzards were still on the wing in the setting sunlight and a Little Egret flew along the valley. A small group of 13 Golden Plovers flew east and a Barn Owl was hunting in the field next to my parked car.

On 20th I went to Great Moulton. It was the only day available to me that week. The weather was poor and consequently the birding was hard work. Several Bullfinches were seen though and my first local Treecreeper of the year was noted.

If I thought that was hard, a trip out to Fritton Common on 26th was even harder, in what was virtually a bird-free afternoon with just a single Meadow Pipit, Treecreeper and 17 Golden Plovers over being the only noteworthy birds.

Back to better form on 30th in the Tasburgh / Low Tharston area with my first Nuthatch and Marsh Tits of the year and a Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming. A pair of Stock Doves displayed despite quite cold frosty conditions and the best observation of the month was of a Fox out in broad daylight stealthily hunting and completely oblivious to me. It has been a good month for Little Egrets locally with seven or eight widespread birds which are all almost certainly different individuals.

Species - 48.

Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back