• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (8 Viewers)

At a site close by a male Golden Pheasant was feeding on the edge of a field, giving some excellent views, first record I have had here for nearly two years. Chris

(I am not trolling for the site and suggest you don't give it out to anyone, but ...)

Did your Golden Pheasant have a true red throat, or was there any black emerging? The last one's I saw in the Brecks were developing black throats (thought to be a sign of regressive genes, rather than hybridisation), developing like the Wolferton Birds. I recently saw a picture from Suffolk, where the throat was still red.

Where have all the Raven's gone?

Here's the Raven Master showing off one of the Tower's birds

I'm aware that immigration is a 'political hot potato' at present, but please don't tell me that the Ravens have lost their jobs at the tower and been replaced by cheap-rate foreign imported labour?

Please ignore the errant apostrophe above, ... can't seem to edit it out

Last edited:
(I am not trolling for the site and suggest you don't give it out to anyone, but ...)

Did your Golden Pheasant have a true red throat, or was there any black emerging? The last one's I saw in the Brecks were developing black throats (thought to be a sign of regressive genes, rather than hybridisation), developing like the Wolferton Birds. I recently saw a picture from Suffolk, where the throat was still red.

Hi David I must confess at the time I didnt really notice, I (hopefully) have attached a couple of crappy phonescope pics that have been cropped, it was a bit misty and the sun was in my face so not best viewing conditions.
Chris

Attachments

• 2015-02-20 08.47.18.jpg
    2015-02-20 08.47.18.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 235
  • 2015-02-20 08.47.33.jpg
    2015-02-20 08.47.33.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 221
Hi David I must confess at the time I didnt really notice, I (hopefully) have attached a couple of crappy phonescope pics that have been cropped, it was a bit misty and the sun was in my face so not best viewing conditions.
Chris

Thanks, the red looks pretty 'pure' to me.
I wonder if that means there is still a viable number in that area?
Good to know, either way.

Titchwell February 24th

Today's highlights

Woodcock - 1 in scrub near Fen Hide
Long tailed duck - 11 offshore
Spotted redshank - 1 on saltmarsh
Greenshank - 1 on tidal pool
Avocet - 50+ on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 2 on drained grazing meadow pool
Twite - 2 briefly on fresh marsh late morning

Paul

Breydon Water 24/02/15

At least 20 Twite ASDA river side Breydon Bridge. And a good 200 Avocet on flats in front of the hide Still plenty of winter Wildfowl present

For the last two days there's been an adult med gull in the fields along the cliff top between East and West Runton, with a good number of waders too.

Al

Single Tundra Bean and Pale bellied Brent Goose feeding with the Pink feet on Ken Hill Marsh opposite the coastal park at Snettisham this morning. Also a White fronted Goose with them, which could well have been a Greenland, but seen only in flight and dropped down out of sight.

Couldn't find the female Wheatear that someone reported to me from the north end of the park around Heacham south beach. Certainly felt like spring but I carnt say I was expecting to come across anything like that. Have there been any previous February records that anyone knows of??

David

Single Tundra Bean and Pale bellied Brent Goose feeding with the Pink feet on Ken Hill Marsh opposite the coastal park at Snettisham this morning. Also a White fronted Goose with them, which could well have been a Greenland, but seen only in flight and dropped down out of sight.

Couldn't find the female Wheatear that someone reported to me from the north end of the park around Heacham south beach. Certainly felt like spring but I carnt say I was expecting to come across anything like that. Have there been any previous February records that anyone knows of??

David

Early but not unprecedented.

Titchwell February 26th

Today's highlights

Slav grebe - 1 offshore
Red crested pochard - 3 on Patsy's reedbed
Water pipit - 1 on drained grazing meadow pool
Avocet - 49 on fresh marsh

Paul

Two Tundra Beans giving good views feeding with Pink feet in the ploughed Sugarbeet on the edge of Ken Hill wood this afternoon. Also the Pale bellied Brent and a single Eurasian White front, presumably the same bird as yesterday.

David

Goshawk

Not seen by me, but very reliable source. GOSHAWK over Ormesby Little Broad. Soaring with Buzzards. AM today.
Trusting the people you can trust.
Hoping for a possible 2nd chance tomorrow.

Not seen by me, but very reliable source. GOSHAWK over Ormesby Little Broad. Soaring with Buzzards. AM today.
Trusting the people you can trust.
Hoping for a possible 2nd chance tomorrow.

Interesting, I had a good candidate over strumpshaw at 12.45ish, not far from that location. What time was the sighting this morning?

At last! Thrushes!

Redwings & Fieldfares have been few and far between in the Yare Valley this winter, so this flock of 100+ right opposite McDonalds at Blofield was good to see!

Attachments

• FF 3.jpg
    FF 3.jpg
    865.1 KB · Views: 67
  • FF 4.jpg
    FF 4.jpg
    818.9 KB · Views: 73
  • RW3.jpg
    RW3.jpg
    943.7 KB · Views: 66
  • RW.jpg
    RW.jpg