• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (2 Viewers)

Great images- had me going for a bit!

A quick update from me after a cracking few days on the patch. After an early start on Sunday, I lucked in on a male Ring Ouzel, perched atop riverside scrub on Wood's End Marshes. Had I of been even a few seconds later I would have missed him, for he left the perch and went to ground very quickly. Unsurprisngly a new bird on the patch for me. Gropper, Reed Warbler and all usual Hirundines are in too, great variety down Church Marsh at the moment.

On Monday evening in gorgeous (but tricky) light we went to Rockland Broad and were treated to a nice mix of Arctic and Common Terns. Never easy but great to compare the jizz as they hunted over the broad.

Finally, I awoke to a familar sound sometime early Monday morning and again today- the boom of a Bittern! Probably one of the Strumpshaw birds over the river, but what a sound to hear when between waking and sleeping. Had I heard it though? Over tea with the wife, "I think I heard a Bittern last night....."! Enough said!

Cheers,
Jim.

Nice one Jim. Glad to see you reaping the rewards from all that hard patch work. May your next bird be a singing Bluethroat ;)

Steve.

Unfortunately, myself and Geoff dipped out on the Little Bunting today - I may have another go tomorrow - but I did get a new tick for the year with a reeling Grasshopper Warbler also at Snettisham CP. Loads of warblers singing here which shows what great habitat it is. Lots of Linnets too which are ever harder to find in the general countryside these days.

Having to be back in Norwich for an appointment at 3.30 we had a very quick pop-in to Sparham Pools where we were pleased to find two mint condition summer plumage adult Little Gulls. Well worth the extra effort!!

Ouzels galore and a Blue-headed Wagtail!

Amazing sight of at least 12 Ring Ouzels at Felbrigg: also a very confiding pair of Mandies there!

Twelve Yellow Wags at Kelling WM, including at least one Blue-headed...

Lots of pictures on the blog!

Attachments

• Blue-headed 4.jpg
    Blue-headed 4.jpg
    767.7 KB · Views: 159
  • Mandies.jpg
    Mandies.jpg
    702 KB · Views: 83
  • RO male.jpg
    RO male.jpg
    676.7 KB · Views: 87
  • ROs 6.jpg
    ROs 6.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 129
Recent sightings and Tree Sparrow birding walk on my website https://hethersettbirdingblog.wordpress.com/ feedback and comments welcomed. Hopefully something of interest for those who haven't visited even if you're not from 'The Village'.

Great website buddy, I work in the area 3 days a month and often take a bit of time out to scan the sky/ fields around Hethersett and the roads heading towards Ketteringham but never heard /seen a Tree sparrow as yet. Great bird to find . Is it a new bird? Have they bred there previously? Keep up posting / blogging the sightings ,always a joy to read .
Happy birding
Shaky
@shaky_theHammer

I'm trying hard mate. Been checking the local horse paddocks and other suitable areas but no joy so far. The main thing though is I just enjoy being outdoors watching the common birds and if I do luck onto a Ring Ouzel or anything else, it will be a bonus. Keep up the good work on your patch - the best days of the spring are only just around the corner and I look forward to hearing about it when you get a really nice bird for your efforts.

All the best.

Steve.
Actually had a nice reward for all my patching over the winter months with a Nightingale last week. A evening visit which was will worth getting cold for! It sadly was gone when I returned next day but I enjoyed it while it last. Also I had my first Stoat on the patch. Probably always there but never seen one until now!
Also yesrterday while working south of Norwich off the A47 a Red Kite was upsetting the local pair of Common Buzzards which made for good watching. They seem to be ever on the increase which is great news!
Anyway keep looking up!
Happy birding
Shaky
@shaky_theHammer

Back home in North Staffs, wish I'd been able to pop back for another look myself.
However here was another dramatic sight at Holme yesterday morning as
we sadly witnessed this stoat with it's kill of a female mallard. When we left the bird was still alive but badly mauled.

Shirley that's a weasel ? Even more impressive

Stoat/weasel vs Mallard

Back home in North Staffs, wish I'd been able to pop back for another look myself.
However here was another dramatic sight at Holme yesterday morning as
we sadly witnessed this stoat with it's kill of a female mallard. When we left the bird was still alive but badly mauled.

Whether it's a stoat or a weasel I don't know, but these mustelids seem to be getting more ambitious, what with the Green Woodpecker instance lately lol
Graham

Titchwell April 24th

Today's highlights

Redstart - male in hedge along East Trail. Scarce spring bird here
Pied flycatcher - 1 reported in bushes by Island Hide
Little tern - 11 offshore
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - 3 on Patsy's reedbed

Paul

Strongly suggested by many that there were up to 200 Yellow Wagtails in the Eye field this afternoon between 1 and 2 pm - Shirley some sort of modern day record.

Pat

A very enjoyable morning at Snettisham.
I originally went out to try and see/photograph spring migrants but was told that the Little Bunting was still present so decided to give it a look as well.
It eventually showed very well, although briefly.
The place is alive at the moment with a great number of birds seen including 3 Lesser Whitethroat, Cuckoo, 2 singing Grasshopper Warbler and Sedge Warber, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff coming out of every bush.

Attachments

• 3A7R5806 edit.jpg
    3A7R5806 edit.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 3A7R5833 edit.jpg
    3A7R5833 edit.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 3A7R5841 resize.jpg
    3A7R5841 resize.jpg
    745.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 3A7R5898.jpg
    3A7R5898.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 183
Sounds like an excellent gathering but I think there were similar numbers in the early 90s. I saw my first ever Yellow Wagtail at Cley in April 1992 and have got written down there were over 100, and checking bird reports for 91-94 includes 200+ at Cley in 1993 (plus 300 at Holme in one of those years)

Strongly suggested by many that there were up to 200 Yellow Wagtails in the Eye field this afternoon between 1 and 2 pm - Shirley some sort of modern day record.

Pat

Norfolk Trip

Mick, despite some initial confusion (on my part for the first photo), I must say that you have posted an excellent set of photos. Getting good glimpses of some of these birds is never easy, so hats off for getting the quality of photos you have captured. I agree with Paul that the Stoat is impressive and whilst not great for the Mallard, your picture does give us a great insight into what these animals are capable of. Glad you had a good visit to Norfolk.

Thanks for the kind comments.
We really enjoyed our short break in your beautiful county.

Absolutely fantastic images, Oliver! What gear did you use? (Although I'm guessing skill had a lot to do with it!)

Thank you :)
I have just started using a Canon 1D mark 3 and this was joined to a canon 400mm f5.6 lens.
The Little Bunting was incredibly confiding when it did show well but it did help that I had it to myself for 15 minutes or so.
The Gropper showed like this for a mere second in 35 minutes of waiting.

Good to see you posting here again Oliver.

Need some of your thoughts Norfolkians. Last night, I stepped out onto my lane, not too far from the fen. I heard a sound, like a puppy trapped in wire fence (only way I can describe it) yelping, alarm calling maybe. Well, I went round the houses. Fox? Owl? Then, a couple of clicks that I would associate certainly with a bird and maybe Moorhen or Water Rail. Any thoughts? I have heard Water Rail squealing on recent nights and I am leaning towards this.

Cheers,
Jim.

Today's highlights

Redstart - male in hedge along East Trail. Scarce spring bird here
Pied flycatcher - 1 reported in bushes by Island Hide
Little tern - 11 offshore
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - 3 on Patsy's reedbed

Paul

Thanks Paul.

It was myself and my mate George who had the Redstart this morning. I've been off work this week, the birding has been very enjoyable and finding birds like this helps to keep the momentum and general good feeling going.
We also had the 11 Little Terns, two pairs of Red-crested Pochards, two Spotted Redshanks, four Pied or White Wagtails in off the sea, three Yellow Wagtails west, Cuckoo, Bullfinch and a Grasshopper Warbler showing reely well (sorry! ;) ).

There were three Corn Buntings, 30 Yellowhammers and two Wheatears up at Choseley Barn but we missed the Dotterel which was a shame for him because he's never seen one before.

I took George to Nelson's Birthplace at Burnham Thorpe in the afternoon in the hope of a Red Kite because he's never had a really good view of one. There's a nice stretch of river valley here. We had only just got out of the car when I picked up nine birds flying up from the valley and landing in a tall tree. One look through the bins and I knew what they were. They were all Ring Ouzels. Try saying "Nine Ring Ouzels at the top of the left hand tree" with your mouth stuffed with a cheese and pickle sarnie - it ain't easy!!
George got onto them however just before they flew over the back of the rectory never to be seen again. Unfortunately, something spooked them and it wasn't us. If only we'd got there a few minutes earlier we probably would have seen them all on the ground but it was still a fab moment.

We also got the aforementioned Red Kite when George picked one up, flying in with some carrion. Some interesting behaviour ensued when the kite deliberately dropped it before diving down to catch it just before it hit the ground. It then flew several more metres, gained some height and dropped it again, this time in a rather indifferent manner, leaving it to hit the ground and not retrieving it. Needless to say some great views and George was very happy.

We arrived back at his house on the Dereham road and he had counted his species tally for the day and realised he was only three off his all time day record so we popped into Norwich Cemetary where we got Nuthatch, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a single Fieldfare which was an unexpected surprise to help him achieve this.

Last edited:
Good to see you posting here again Oliver.

Need some of your thoughts Norfolkians. Last night, I stepped out onto my lane, not too far from the fen. I heard a sound, like a puppy trapped in wire fence (only way I can describe it) yelping, alarm calling maybe. Well, I went round the houses. Fox? Owl? Then, a couple of clicks that I would associate certainly with a bird and maybe Moorhen or Water Rail. Any thoughts? I have heard Water Rail squealing on recent nights and I am leaning towards this.

Cheers,
Jim.

Hello Jim.

Little Owls have a yelping alarm call but I'm sure you're well up on that particular sound. I take it you have Little Owls in your area - there are loads around here. Did it seem like it was coming from the fields or the marsh? I have been amazed over the years at the variety of calls coming from Water Rails and they definitely utter a subtle ticking call from time to time well removed from the usual pig squeal. Let us know if you identify your mystery animal.

Cheers.

Steve.

A very enjoyable morning at Snettisham.
I originally went out to try and see/photograph spring migrants but was told that the Little Bunting was still present so decided to give it a look as well.
It eventually showed very well, although briefly.
The place is alive at the moment with a great number of birds seen including 3 Lesser Whitethroat, Cuckoo, 2 singing Grasshopper Warbler and Sedge Warber, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff coming out of every bush.

Fab Pictures!:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back