• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

The last week of April. No posts for two days. Looks like the Norfolk thread needs an update!

Nice afternoon today at Winterton in the north dunes. The highlights were three Ring Ouzels and seven Wheatears among the many Skylarks displaying beautifully. A place to spend time birding here without exerting too much energy and to give you a break from dune bashing is the highest dune just past midway. From here you can check inland - I had six Cranes, five Common Buzzards, two Marsh Harriers and two Kestrels - and a very short walk and you are in a prime position for a seawatch - one Fulmar, five Gannets, 12 Little Terns, one Red-throated Diver and an auk. Nothing amazing today maybe but relaxing and certainly enjoyable.

Steve.

Snettisham is proving to be a very enjoyable and easy place to walk around when the sun is shining.
The Little Bunting contined to show well on occasion but an evening walk proved far more productive in terms of general birds.
Cuckoo, Swift, 3 Med Gull, Barn Owl, Lesser Whitethroat, Grasshopper Warbler the main highlights but the number of Reed Bunting, Cetti's Warbler, Sedge Warbler and Willow Warbler was also fantastic to see/here, seems like these birds are really good numbers this year.

Attachments

• 3A7R6012 edit.jpg
    3A7R6012 edit.jpg
    599 KB · Views: 110
  • 3A7R6094.jpg
    3A7R6094.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 3A7R6106.jpg
    3A7R6106.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 83
Did anybody at Cley today watching the yellow yags in the eye field
have any thoughts on the pale grey/white with a pale lemon wash female? My thought was female blue headed but not sure, thanks

I was at work all day, but headed for Snettisham Coastal Park this evening. I waited and I waited, but no sign of the Little Bunting. Fabulous view of Garden Warbler singing as I waited, bullfinches, barn owl, cuckoo etc! Then at 7.55pm the Little Bunting appeared, right at the end of the path, much to the enjoyment of one other birder, who had also stuck it out!

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Picture I took of the LITTLE BUNTING on Saturday.

Attachments

• IMG_3689 crop.jpg
    IMG_3689 crop.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
6 male blue headed wagtails at kelling around 6pm, in the field just east of the water meadow up the hill with cattle

Attachments

• IMG_9249aa.jpg
    IMG_9249aa.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_9247aa.jpg
    IMG_9247aa.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 120
Thanks Paul.

It was myself and my mate George who had the Redstart this morning. I've been off work this week, the birding has been very enjoyable and finding birds like this helps to keep the momentum and general good feeling going.
We also had the 11 Little Terns, two pairs of Red-crested Pochards, two Spotted Redshanks, four Pied or White Wagtails in off the sea, three Yellow Wagtails west, Cuckoo, Bullfinch and a Grasshopper Warbler showing reely well (sorry! ;) ).

There were three Corn Buntings, 30 Yellowhammers and two Wheatears up at Choseley Barn but we missed the Dotterel which was a shame for him because he's never seen one before.

I took George to Nelson's Birthplace at Burnham Thorpe in the afternoon in the hope of a Red Kite because he's never had a really good view of one. There's a nice stretch of river valley here. We had only just got out of the car when I picked up nine birds flying up from the valley and landing in a tall tree. One look through the bins and I knew what they were. They were all Ring Ouzels. Try saying "Nine Ring Ouzels at the top of the left hand tree" with your mouth stuffed with a cheese and pickle sarnie - it ain't easy!!
George got onto them however just before they flew over the back of the rectory never to be seen again. Unfortunately, something spooked them and it wasn't us. If only we'd got there a few minutes earlier we probably would have seen them all on the ground but it was still a fab moment.

We also got the aforementioned Red Kite when George picked one up, flying in with some carrion. Some interesting behaviour ensued when the kite deliberately dropped it before diving down to catch it just before it hit the ground. It then flew several more metres, gained some height and dropped it again, this time in a rather indifferent manner, leaving it to hit the ground and not retrieving it. Needless to say some great views and George was very happy.

We arrived back at his house on the Dereham road and he had counted his species tally for the day and realised he was only three off his all time day record so we popped into Norwich Cemetary where we got Nuthatch, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a single Fieldfare which was an unexpected surprise to help him achieve this.

Sounds like you had a good time, nice pun too.

I saw the redstart briefly too in the afternoon in the hedge at the end of East Trail but it was being chased by a robin and very mobile!

Paul

Titchwell April 27th

Today's highlights

Grasshopper warbler - 1 reeling by screen on East Trail
Red crested pochard - 6 around the reserve
Spotted redshank - 4 on saltmarsh this morning
Little ringed plover - 3 on fresh marsh
Hobby - 1st of the year over the reedbed this afternoon
Dunlin - 19 on fresh marsh
Red kite - 1 just to the south of the reserve this afternoon

Paul

Some excellent points from two Norfolk RSPB wardens in defence of Strumpshaw's management plan: http://birdsoftheheath.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/strumpshaw-fen-dialogue-with-assistant.html
My problem at Titchwell is the sun, can you please sort it out so I can see something in the morning, my retina has had enough - its frazzled. Keep up the marvellous work guys.

Thanks for the support Foon. I will see what I can do about the sun ;)

We are looking into new ways to view the reserve but this is a long-term project that we are only just starting

Paul

Strumpshaw Fen

I'm not sure why Paul thinks he needs support: he isn't mentioned in my post at all and Titchwell is only mentioned in the most glowing terms.

Also: on 'Birds of the Heath' I moved Ben's thoughts from being a 'comment' to a full blown post so that people could read it in full: I have no problem with Ben: he's a great guy and I'm pretty sure he shares at least some of my concerns. Certainly we both have a love of the Yare Valley. Unlike many BF readers, I visit the Fen / Buckenham two, three, even more times a week every week of the year: not just when 'someone' (usually my friends and I!) find something unusual. It's because I like the place so much that I occasionally get frustrated when visitors ask me why there are 'no birds' or why they can't visit half of the reserve because of flooding. A decent hide at Buckenham or a wader scrape at SF would ameliorate the situation considerably.

Hi David,

I read your comments and Ben's very thorough reply this morning - personally I think Paul was right to support Ben but that is not relevant here.

It is great to see your passion of the area - I too enjoy going to this area and did so recently having stopped for a while due to the often numerous groups of photographers with no binoculars or interest in the less photogenic birds taking up the hides and loudly exchanging pleasantries whilst snapping one of the overly-tame pheasants.

Unless you are keeping a very keen eye, I am not sure how you can know who goes where and which members have visited so far this Spring. I would also be very keen to know what "rarities" you have found recently? (Storks and Caspian gulls not included here ;) )

Off the top of my head I can't think of any unless it was like the Fea's petrel off Sheringham which you and your friend couldn't be bothered to submit to the records committee.

As you go so often I am sure you will have an up to date knowledge of the returning summer migrants so far?

How many pairs of reed warblers have we got back at the moment? How many Whimbrels and Greenshanks have not been able to land due to our selfish want of protecting one of Europe's rarest butterfly?

How many have succumbed to exhaustion having to fly to Buckenham or Hickling down to road?

I have had no problem viewing waders at Buckenham, the only real hindrance is the heat haze that can often appear. In fact I quite prefer this range as it has a less "zoo like" feeling to me. I can watch and ID the birds fine, but I guess those more photographically inclined may not agree.

May I also ask why you seem to think there is a right to be able to see birds up close? I would have though as someone so passionate about the wildlife you would be happy to just know that it is there and not easily disturbed by all of these amorous couples and redneck fishermen in the hide.

Have you asked the warden team how many Snipe and Redshank are out on Buck Marshes or are the ones you can see the only birds out there?

Having volunteered at Hickling I feel I can offer my opinion here too - the two scrapes being old hunting haunts where water birds used to be encouraged to their deaths they are managed incredibly well and do have a lot of waders, I saw far more here than at Cley last year but even some of them were distant - I didn't here any complaints from the public or visiting birders. It is a different reserve to SF and should not be compared too similarly without more knowledge.

Basically what you want is down to Human selfishness and a " right " to see birds well because you pay a membership fee, like you would at a Safari Park! I presume this is to photograph them.

I eagerly read your blog (in fact there is quite the following) for your local sightings but I must question the Soviet style manipulation of correspondence between you and the public.. I have twice politely re-identified something for you in the past only to have my comments deleted!

It is a fun read where the rarities often get away despite shots of everything else - sometimes when they do appear they are a different colour scale, size and have different backgrounds too!

We all fall into the trap of being "experts" , though I don't think writing questions for an environmental studies exam makes you one. I have volunteered at 3 Norfolk wetland reserves and did a degree that focussed on their management abroad and I certainly have no idea compared to the "boys on the ground" like Ben.

I often disagree with how money is spent by the RSPB - let's try and think though how much worse it would be if we didn't have them though eh.

If you are so unimpressed there are plenty of other sites to go to nearby...Ben if you read this a top reply and I am sorry that you have to waste parts of your day writing the replies that you do.

If you were a volunteer or worked for the RSPB and were still unhappy - maybe I could get it.

In short please stop moaning just get out and do some birding and enjoy what we have on our backdoor - nowhere is perfect but like I mentioned before just be glad the RSPB have it and it's not a field of potatoes.

I await the next Mega.

ATB

Hmmmm...
Firstly, Martin & I did submit the Fea's Petrel: get your facts straight!

Secondly: I've found a lot of 'good' birds in the Yare Valley - people who know me are well aware of that fact.
You enjoy looking at distant birds: that's fine! So do I: I am a birder first and foremost, photographer only quite recently. But as a frequent visitor to SF, I genuinely do hear grumbles from people new to the reserve along the lines I posted. (Lack of birds, high water levels, apparently over-severe brashing or clearing etc)

I certainly don't feel I have 'the right to see birds up close' Part of the fun of bird photography is finding a bird and waiting patiently in position for a photographic opportunity. I don't have a huge or expensive lens and my cameras are both cheap Pentax 'Ks': I have certainly never knowingly got too close to a bird and scared it away as, I concede, some photographers do. I don't really understand your amusement at my photography: I've obtained some decent pictures this year of Woodlarks, GG Shrikes, Bitterns, Dartfords and many other birds other people struggle to even see! This is because (despite your advice to 'get out and do some birding' I am usually 'in the field' somewhere for four or five hours a day, most days! I find it amusing that people sometimes criticise pictures I post on my own personal blog but refrain from ever complimenting the good or difficult shots: human nature I guess!

How many Whimbrel and Greenshanks have been 'unable to land'? I don't know - and neither do you!

As I said before, both here and on my blog (which, as you kindly point out, does seem quite popular with ordinary bird watchers!) I really like Ben and any criticism I have voiced is certainly not directed at him: he doesn't decide the management strategy and he doesn't earn a 100 grand a year.

By the way: I find your comments about my background a little unfair: being an Examiner with the East Anglian Examinations Board at Cambridge is not something everyone gets the chance to do and teaching teenagers about the environment for 35 years at KS 2, 3 & 4 constitutes, I'd have thought, some contribution to public awareness of the environment: those kids grew up (mostly!) to become householders, tax payers and voters!

BTW: I once ran a YOC Group which, at the time, was the largest primary school-based one in the UK: we raised lots of money for Strumpshaw, as Mike Blackburn (senior Warden at the time) will confirm!

Last edited:
I don't really understand your amusement at my photography: I've obtained some decent pictures this year of Woodlarks, GG Shrikes, Bitterns, Dartfords any many other birds other people struggle to even see!

Having searched your blog I'm struggling to see these 'decent pictures', quite a few photoshop jobs though.

David,

Your blog says "you won't be submitting it" - that is what I went on, I care not if it was accepted.

Where are the "rare" birds you have found - give me some evidence. You are always turning the common into something rare - it never is.

I have heard you claim Sabine's gull which it wasn't and even things as absurd as Siberian Jay.

Reading through your blog there are so many stringy entries it is unreal.

You neither answered any of my points - maybe I can ask this bluntly and get an answer.

Why do birds appear photoshopped on your blog?

Why do you not have pictures of any of the rares that you consistently find?

Regarding your career in education it is very admirable to encourage younger members of society and I enjoyed a YOC as a youngster but it does not mean you know much about practical conservation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the support Foon. I will see what I can do about the sun ;)

We are looking into new ways to view the reserve but this is a long-term project that we are only just starting

Paul

Good stuff Paul, FWIW I agree totally with the volunteering idea, I did some at Minsmere with Jeremy Sorenson, an experience never to be forgotten, and it was illuminatiing, and made a lasting impression on me.
I will visit in the afternoons.

You are always turning the common into something rare - it never is.

Reading through your blog there are so many stringy entries it is unreal.

Why do birds appear photoshopped on your blog?

What an unnecessarily rude post! I have never attacked you in this way and (if you're the right Johny!) may even once have spent a pleasant evening of birds, wine and chat with you at my neighbour's house. If you're not that 'Johny P', I apologize to him! He seemed a nice guy!

1) Re-read my post: I didn't say 'rare birds', I said 'good birds'. These include Montagu's Harrier, Honey Buzzard, innumerable Red Kites, Hen Harriers, Ravens etc etc. As for Sabine's Gulls, I've seen (and found!) dozens of them on the Scillonian Pelagics I've been on: videoed them too, as well as Wilson's, Cory's, Greats, Sooties etc. The bird to which you're referring was incredibly distant, looked good through scope / bins to Martin & me but was tweaked for the blog (See below!) JFI: Martin has travelled in search of birds much more widely than I: Australasia, China, much of southern & eastern Africa, Cuba, most of South America. He has seen more birds here and abroad than most people one meets...

I won't bore anyone else reading what is supposed, after all, to be a thread about Norfolk birds, but the Raven example will, hopefully, answer your photoshop allegation: I attach four pictures: the first has been reduced in file size using Irfanview, the second has been cropped, the third enlarged, the fourth colour-enhanced and despeckled with Paintshop (I don't own Photoshop)
I frequently do this for my blog which, when all is said and done, is my personal blog: I can put a freakin' Dodo on there if I want!

Attachments

• RAVEN 1.jpg
    RAVEN 1.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 91
  • RAVEN 2.jpg
    RAVEN 2.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 128
  • RAVEN 3.jpg
    RAVEN 3.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 103
  • RAVEN 4.jpg
    RAVEN 4.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
This is fantastic, finally after about a 5 year lull the norfolk thread has really hotted up !

I think laymen/women can make suggestions and observations about water levels etc. but really you would have to volunteer or work at a nature reserve to understand all of the factors at play.

Unless it's cley where they just raise the water levels in autumn to get a load of ducks in, so the local shooting fraternity have a good stock !! ;) I did once suggest that and got a stern telling off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back