• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (2 Viewers)

Silver-washed Fritillaries at Holt Country Park

4 reported today, of which I saw 2 (photos to follow).

More White Admirals than I've ever seen here, too.

Also, some interesting hoverflies, Eddie, Steve, Richard and Penny.

Be sure to buy a ticket for the car park: regular checks are made by a visiting van.

In addition to the Silver-washed, there was an unusual Comma, with patches which reflected blue in the sunlight.

When viewing the photos, these appear to be some kind of damage.

The White Admiral depicted also displays wear-and-tear.

Hoverflies included Volucella inanis (L) and Sericomyia silentis (R).

Attachments

• 033pse.jpg
    033pse.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 076pse.jpg
    076pse.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 159pse.jpg
    159pse.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 007pse.jpg
    007pse.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 141pse.jpg
    141pse.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 56
Silver service

I saw one at the southern end of the westernmost stretch of the green/red marked route; t’other on the yellow/orange route, running NW to SE vaguely from the Visitor Centre.

I had been told three were seen first on the former.

The first sighting was so fleeting, 'they' could have been the same creature. (The path/ride runs directly from where I had the 'second' sighting.)

Attachments

• Holt Country Park map.pdf
    61.8 KB · Views: 82
Wiveton Downs gave me my first Purple Hairstreak of the year.

She (for it was a female) did not deign to descend to ground level, but remained characteristically high in the tops, as shown.

Attachments

• 071pse.jpg
    071pse.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 76
Silver washed fritillary at Swanton Novers this morning. The first of many I hope. 5 weeks later than last year. Fair numbers of White admirals out today. They are also running about 3 weeks late. A careful search of the oak canopy found no purple hairstreaks , despite taking one in a moth trap on Tuseday. Overall butterfly numbers down by about 50 % this summer.

Yesterday i saw the first whites since early June at Stiffkey ( large and small ) and today at Swanton Novers ( Large ).

I managed to catch up with one of the Silver-washed Fritillaries at Holt CP this afternoon. It was on the yellow/orange route described in John's post, roughly behind the wooden information board in the carpark. Also lots of Ringlets, several Meadow Browns, Speckled Wood and Large Whites.

And another location for S-w Fritillaries

A repeat visit to Stonepit Heath paid off today, with another Silver-washed.

It zoomed back and forth along one of the paths- and then disappeared. I did not see it, on my return shortly afterwards.

Several Red & White Admirals performed (two species!).

Attachments

• 001pse.jpg
    001pse.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 66
I saw one at the southern end of the westernmost stretch of the green/red marked route; t’other on the yellow/orange route, running NW to SE vaguely from the Visitor Centre.

I had been told three were seen first on the former.

The first sighting was so fleeting, 'they' could have been the same creature. (The path/ride runs directly from where I had the 'second' sighting.)

There were three today 100yds before the pond 50yds before a muddy patch. There are some blackberry flowers on the left and the three including both male and female were in that area.

John

Attachments

• swf (1 of 2).jpg
    swf (1 of 2).jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 43
  • swf (2 of 2).jpg
    swf (2 of 2).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 54
  • swfr (1 of 1).jpg
    swfr (1 of 1).jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 43
Owing to an appointment with my sheep-shearer, I was late getting to Holt this afters. So late, that I saw one SwF on its way ‘to bed’. See below for an under-wing shot.

A couple of White Admirals flitted, in the same area that John describes.

Can I ask what camera you used and how far away were you.

I use a Panasonic Lumix FZ-150.

Dereham to Holt is just over 20 miles. (Oh, sorry- couldn’t resist, David !) The distances vary; but it’s good from 1cm to a long, long way away and is usually set on 37.5x optical zoom.

It helps having a steady grip, too: if not on reality, at least the camera.

Attachments

• 007pse.jpg
    007pse.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 68
No Frits, but at least 10 White Admirals in Wells Woods yesterday afternoon. Also a small group of Crossbill heard while in the pines.

Chalkhill Blues

Looks like the first few males have emerged at Warham Camp, with no more than 10 males on the wing at present. All were in the furthest 'burrow'. A lot more vegetation than last year, much to the pleasure of the Meadow Browns which were abundant.

Other highlights from today, included a single Silver-washed Fritillary in brambles near the pond at Holt CP, two White-letter Hairstreaks at Holkham near the Washington Hide, also c.10 White Admirals spread out along the track, plus a handful of Dark Green Fritillaries at Burnham Overy Dunes and a lot of supporting species generally from all sites visited.

Attachments

• DSC_2986.jpg
    DSC_2986.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 38
During a walk at Holkham on Saturday I saw 13 species of butterfly, including white admiral (3), white-letter hairstreak (3) and DG frit (6), small copper (1) and wall (1). I had a very close encounter with a white-letter (pic attached).

On Sunday, Holt CP 'red route' got me at least 3 silver-washed frit, including the attached female. The best area was the trees just before the pond, where at least one kept coming down to nectar on bramble flowers before flying high again. Also 3-4 white admiral seen. SWF was a lifer for me and many thanks to the posters on this forum for putting me onto them.

Drinker (pic attached) and buff arches were my favourite moths trapped overnight on Saturday (Wells).

cheers, Kieren

Attachments

• P1030879.jpg
    P1030879.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 44
  • P1030895.jpg
    P1030895.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 41
  • P1030905.jpg
    P1030905.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 38
I still can’t help feeling that the sight of the Whooper Swan at Felbrigg, at this season and in this weather, is rather bizarre. It seems to be completely comfortable, though- having made the new water meadow its patch.

Only one Purple Hairstreak was visible again, here- but not really playing ball.

Yet another visit to Stonepit Heath- and no Silver-washed.

Here are directions, as requested, from the south (and a ‘map’ is given below):

Go NW from the A148 in High Kelling, along Bridge Road. Over the railway bridge and (possibly) park in the car park on the right.
BE CAREFUL ! CARS HAVE BEEN BROKEN INTO HERE.
Stonepit Heath/Plantation is bounded by Bridge Road (to the W), the NNRailway (to the E) and Holgate Hill & Kelling Park Nursing Home, to the N.

Holt CP only gave one, highly mobile, Silver-washed, this afternoon. This is puzzling, as it was very hot and, apparently, perfect butterfly weather. Have the others been had ?

Attachments

• 033pse1.jpg
    033pse1.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 007pse.jpg
    007pse.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 035pse.jpg
    035pse.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 47
Looks like the first few males have emerged at Warham Camp, with no more than 10 males on the wing at present. All were in the furthest 'burrow'. A lot more vegetation than last year, much to the pleasure of the Meadow Browns which were abundant.

A few Chalkhill Blue's around 30 minutes ago and indeed sack loads of Meadow Browns. A single Red Admiral also on the hedgerow along the path leading away from the camp.
Some lovely Pyramidal Orchids as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back