• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last Butterfly of the Year 2023 (1 Viewer)

Will never match latest dates in the UK, but a Small Tortoiseshell here in Lithuania on 2 November, my latest ever butterfly on the wing in this country (just beating a Queen of Spain Fritillary on 1 November three years ago, my only ever other butterfly in November)

Still seeing Red Admirals on a daily basis here in south Hampshire and have been for over a week, as well as Common Darter dragonfly last week (3rd Nov).
Hi. Yeah, the Sun's out, and more gliding Admirals this morning (Southampton), ........ One's just gone passed the window now!

On Tuesday (7th November) I was at Sizewell on the Suffolk coast when there were still a few Red Admirals on the wing.. Less expected was the Clouded Yellow that flew past me giving the impression that it had just arrived in off the sea. It was my first, and presumably also last, Clouded Yellow of the year.

My first of the month. Raking some leaves from my father's lawn, I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye. As I turned round I could see a Red Admiral fluttering weakly along the fence. I must have inadvertently disturbed it from a small holly in the corner. After a little while it went into a hanging basket to hide.

It was mild but overcast at the time.

Shot Sunday 24th Dec. am NELondon, fluttering beneath bedroom window before settling on patio, to my eye it looks fresh?
It is in good condition, but likely to have emerged late July/August. They tend to feed up for a week or two before entering diapause & then usually emerge in the first warm days of the spring. Because they're active for a fairly short spell to feed after emergence they tend to look fresh when seen in spring (or earlier in this case!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back