• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last Butterfly of the Year 2023 (2 Viewers)

Not seen any for a few days myself, despite some sunshine, until today - 1 Red Admiral at my place and 1 butterfly sp. (odds on Red Admiral) whilst driving in the lanes.

Working in a garden in Mabe (nr Falmouth) just earlier was pleased to see what I thought would be a Small Tort fly by, however it wasn't - it was a Painted Lady, not seen too many this year. A Red Admiral also flew through a bit later. The Painted Lady was nectaring - tried to get a phone pic but it mostly had its wings closed in the overcast conditions.

Working in a garden in Mabe (nr Falmouth) just earlier was pleased to see what I thought would be a Small Tort fly by, however it wasn't - it was a Painted Lady, not seen too many this year. A Red Admiral also flew through a bit later. The Painted Lady was nectaring - tried to get a phone pic but it mostly had its wings closed in the overcast conditions.
Underwings are also interesting and useful for ID given the current number of Painted Lady species in Britain....

John

Underwings are also interesting and useful for ID given the current number of Painted Lady species in Britain....

John
I did kind of rule out the other one on the views I had (and my hazy recollection on what it should look like), but just looked at the image I did manage to get, and conclusively a Painted Lady, 4 spots good ... (2 spots would be much better ... ;-) )

I will try and post the image up at some point as would be interesting to get an id on the flower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back