• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Dragon/Damselflies reports/news (2 Viewers)

At least one and probably several Red-veined Darters in Felbrigg Park this afternoon. Seen both over the lake and along the path along the eastern side of the lake basking on the molehills in the grass and on the bare earth around the rabbit warren.

Also attached photos of Norfolk Hawkers at Strumpshaw on Wednesday and a Brown Hawker at Hickling on Thursday.

Simon

Attachments

• RVD2.jpg
    RVD2.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 71
  • RVD.jpg
    RVD.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 67
  • NHawker1.jpg
    NHawker1.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 58
  • NHawkers1.jpg
    NHawkers1.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 56
  • BrownHawker2.jpg
    BrownHawker2.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 69
At least one and probably several Red-veined Darters in Felbrigg Park this afternoon. Seen both over the lake and along the path along the eastern side of the lake basking on the molehills in the grass and on the bare earth around the rabbit warren.

Also attached photos of Norfolk Hawkers at Strumpshaw on Wednesday and a Brown Hawker at Hickling on Thursday.

Simon

Nice record, nice photos. The theory is that each summer sees a fresh influx of RVDs. If this is the case, I've never quite understood how they seem to find the exact same sites, and in suitable condition, each year. Does make me think that they breed here. But I suspect I'm alone in that...

I wouldn't be surprised if they were breeding, but on the other hand it's not that surprising that they turn up at the same place each year.
1: the wind currents and local topography funnel migrants towards particular locations
2: the species have generic preferences for certain locations
3: that's where the observers are who would know what they are seeing

Of those I think 3 is the most important. There's probably 50+ RVD in the county at the moment- but unless they turn up at a reserve or someone's local patch they are most unlikely to be seen by anyone who'll recognise them.

It's a generic issue of course: how many north american LBJ's expire in someone's back garden unobserved and unidentified each autumn?

Nationally, it's been another good spring for Red-veined Darters this year, but I think almost all individuals have been fully mature when first found. One site in Kent did however turn up a couple of 'immature-looking' females.

Adrian

Went to Felbrigg today in search of red-veined darters. After seeing two or three males on the path along the eastern side of the lake, I realised that there were several pairs in tandem over the water. At one stage there were six pairs, in most of which the females were ovipositing. There were several lone males trying to muscle in on the breeding pairs.

More significantly (for me anyway) I had a lesser emperor. Initially patrolling the eastern shore, it made three passes before disappearing. About twenty minutes later it was in the south-east corner, in the small bay. It made one fairly prolonged visit here, and then a further brief visit at 1.40pm, which was the last I saw of it (I left about 20 minutes later).

Stew

Found 10 red veined dragonflies on the new pool on East Trail this afternoon. As far as I'm aware they are the 1st for Titchwell. My 1st record too

According to reports: More RVD at Queens Hills, costessey, Lesser Emperor's at Filby and Ormesby Little Broad . What's the betting on something spectacular turning up?

After seeing the pager message last night I went to the pond on Ringland Lane, just west of Costessey this morning before the rain. If you don't know the pond, it's on the left just past where there is some construction / access work and just before the road goes downhill. There's an obvious pull-in and to see the pond you have to climb the bank.

It took a while, but eventually we had a single male red-veined darter over the floating algae. It was being harassed by black-tailed skimmers and emperors, but was pretty persistent and was still there when we left. There were a few common darters emerging at the back of the pond which might cause confusion in a few days!

Taverham RVDs

After seeing the pager message last night I went to the pond on Ringland Lane, just west of Costessey this morning before the rain. If you don't know the pond, it's on the left just past where there is some construction / access work and just before the road goes downhill. There's an obvious pull-in and to see the pond you have to climb the bank.

It took a while, but eventually we had a single male red-veined darter over the floating algae. It was being harassed by black-tailed skimmers and emperors, but was pretty persistent and was still there when we left. There were a few common darters emerging at the back of the pond which might cause confusion in a few days!

Two males still present this lunchtime. One consistently over mid-pond, the other fixed along the north bank (albeit in various spots). Pix of this one attached.

Attachments

• rvd.JPG
    rvd.JPG
    403.2 KB · Views: 82
  • rvd2.JPG
    rvd2.JPG
    430.3 KB · Views: 82
Very good numbers of emperors on Friday including a group of 15 hawking over a bramble patch feeding on hoverlies and ringlets. I have never seen more that 5 emperors togeather before.

Has anyone been to look for the Southern Emeralds at Winterton this year? I'm due for a few days in Norfolk in a couple of weeks and wondered if it would be worth having a look for one of my bogey species...

Checked out the pond at Ringland Lane, Costessey this morning. Couldn't find any willow emeralds ('tho experience says that doesn't mean there weren't any there), but did have a red-veined darter over the floating algae. Also had a male emperor take a male banded demoiselle - pretty impressive!

Also checked Thorpe Marriott pond, where there were four or five male small red-eyed damsels.

Stew

Checked out the pond at Ringland Lane, Costessey this morning. Couldn't find any willow emeralds ('tho experience says that doesn't mean there weren't any there), but did have a red-veined darter over the floating algae. Also had a male emperor take a male banded demoiselle - pretty impressive!

Also checked Thorpe Marriott pond, where there were four or five male small red-eyed damsels.

Stew

Hi Stew when we found them, they favoured the NW corner near the stone wall which juts out into the pond. At least 5 when we there, but this was 3 weeks ago.

RFI Yellow-winged Darter, Winterton

Report on Twitter yesterday of YWD at toad pools at Winterton Dunes. Anyone know any more?

Hi Stew when we found them, they favoured the NW corner near the stone wall which juts out into the pond. At least 5 when we there, but this was 3 weeks ago.

Thanks - I'll keep looking! (They can be real b*ggers to locate sometimes!).

I had a text from the YWD Finder (100% reliable). The insect was on the northernmost of the two small pools in the centre of the dunes (Winterton N Dunes).

Stew

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back