• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Dragon/Damselflies reports/news (1 Viewer)

I'm going to be in Norfolk Saturday to Monday and was wondering if anyone has any tips for Scarce Emeralds. Other than "plan your trip later in the year when they'll be about", of course.

I'm aware it's a long shot, and I've picked up from searching this thread that Thompson Common is probably the place to try, but since I'd need a pretty close view to be sure of the ID it would be very helpful if someone could point me at the best part of the site.

I'm mainly after Norfolk hawkers so it's not the end of the world if I draw a blank on my second target.
Thompson common is your best bet for scarce,i failed miserably in finding them last year,i searched all over but didnt really go prepared as to the proper i.d,still kicking myself about that,i stand more chance this year lol.You should find plenty of norfolk hawkers at strumpshaw fen or upton fen,both are prime locations for these.

General directions for Thompson Common can be found on the excellent 'Norfolk dragons' website.

Last year I visited in late July and there were lots of Emerald sp. From the car park we went through the small gate into the woods, past some pingos in the woods and then out into the grassland. There were lots of Emeralds around the edge of the large pond mentioned in the link above, but they were hard to get close to. We found that the best place was the grassy area between the exit from the woods and the large pond. We found Scarce Emerald and Emerald resting on the grass, both very approachable and therefore not too hard to tell apart. Personally I found the females easier to separate than the males.

You should be fine seeing Norfolk Hawkers. In addition to the sites already mentioned there were a couple at Hickling Broad yesterday, along with Four-spot Chaser, Black-tailed Skimmer, Azure Damsefly, Blue-tailed Damselfly and Large Red Damselfly.

I'm going to be in Norfolk Saturday to Monday and was wondering if anyone has any tips for Scarce Emeralds. Other than "plan your trip later in the year when they'll be about", of course.

I'm aware it's a long shot, and I've picked up from searching this thread that Thompson Common is probably the place to try, but since I'd need a pretty close view to be sure of the ID it would be very helpful if someone could point me at the best part of the site.

I'm mainly after Norfolk hawkers so it's not the end of the world if I draw a blank on my second target.

Anybody seen Black Darters about. I tried Roydon Common on Wednesday without any joy. Was thinking about trying again this afternoon. Any other known sites in Norfolk?

A few photos from the garden today, correct me if I'm wrong... Black-tailed Skimmer, Red-eyed Damselfly, Brown Hawker and female Banded Demoiselle (I'm not going to try to identify what she's munching on!!!).

Chris

Attachments

• DSCF3054.JPG
    DSCF3054.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF3057.JPG
    DSCF3057.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF3064.JPG
    DSCF3064.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF3073.JPG
    DSCF3073.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 61
A few photos from the garden today, correct me if I'm wrong... Black-tailed Skimmer, Red-eyed Damselfly, Brown Hawker and female Banded Demoiselle (I'm not going to try to identify what she's munching on!!!).

Chris

Nice work, Chris.

According to the chart I have for flight times, it's an early Brown Hawker and going by out own personal Spring, makes it a very early one.

Kieran

That's a pretty impressive garden list you've got there. It would be worth putting a note on the BDS latest sightings page for the brown hawker - it's only a week or so since the first for the UK and that might be the first for the county.

RSPB Strumpshaw Fen put on a good show of Norfolk hawkers and four-spot chasers this afternoon, plus more mating azure damsels than I've ever seen before. And a couple of swallowtails feeding in the car park for good measure.

Also a very good showing of scarce chasers and banded demoiselles at Wheatfen Broad at lunchtime, together with Norfolk hawkers, black-tailed skimmers and 5 or 6 other species. Absolutely stunning place.

Common Hawker?

Hey all,

my apologies for posting about a dragon from outside our boarders, but I know a lot of people who post on here are very sharp in this area and was hoping to get some help with this Hawker, posted below.

The photo was taken while a group of us were in Cambridgeshire and I can't see beyond Common Hawker, although it is scarce for the region. As I have only started taking an interest, I look forward to what others think.

It only perched briefly and allowed one quick photo before moving on. The yellow costa seems to be the biggest Common 'pro', but unsure if this can appear as artifacts in certain light?

Cheers peeps,

Kieran

1001660_10201501410526212_443936914_n.jpeg

Hey all,

my apologies for posting about a dragon from outside our boarders, but I know a lot of people who post on here are very sharp in this area and was hoping to get some help with this Hawker, posted below.

The photo was taken while a group of us were in Cambridgeshire and I can't see beyond Common Hawker, although it is scarce for the region. As I have only started taking an interest, I look forward to what others think.

It only perched briefly and allowed one quick photo before moving on. The yellow costa seems to be the biggest Common 'pro', but unsure if this can appear as artifacts in certain light?

Cheers peeps,

Kieran

View attachment 450577
Its a hairy hawker Kieran.

Male Broad-bodied Chaser over the pond in my garden yesterday for about 30 seconds was a first for the garden (if memory serves me correctly!). I spent a bit of time trying to id the multitude of "blue" damselflies present and confirmed Common and Azure (after much hard work and checking on the internet!). Couldn't find any Variable, are they likely to be present in my garden?

No sign of the Brown Hawker or the BT Skimmer from the day before, but Red-eyed and Large Red Damselfly still present, along with plenty of Banded Demoiselle. Another larger dragonfly buzzed through and my initial thought was 4 Spot Chaser, but it didn't hang around for a positive id.

Hi,
I am going to be over in Norfolk last week in July. I've been to Norfolk lots but never in July/August.
Can anyone recommend some good places to go to look for Dragonflies (and Butterflies.)
Already planning on going to Holt Lowes (although not sure where to look there), Strumpshaw fen & Winterton dunes (If I can find the pools in the North dunes this time! :) )

Thanks in advance

Swimdon Addic I would not spend too much time looking for scarce emeralds just yet. Its a late season this year for most dragonflies and from what I have heard common emeralds are not properly on the wing yet. ( been too ill to look for myself as yet )
Scarce usualy emerge a few weeks later than commons on my ponds.

Hi,
I am going to be over in Norfolk last week in July. I've been to Norfolk lots but never in July/August.
Can anyone recommend some good places to go to look for Dragonflies (and Butterflies.)
Already planning on going to Holt Lowes (although not sure where to look there), Strumpshaw fen & Winterton dunes (If I can find the pools in the North dunes this time! :) )

Thanks in advance
Upton fen is a good spot,winterton may deliver a coomon hawker (im hoping this year) and a good place for rarities.Thompson common is good for dragons also.

Last edited:
For Keeled Skimmer at Holt Lowes, park at the car park at the country park, walk out on the path directly opposite the visitor centre on the other side of the car park and head left towards the pond (4-spot and bbc usual there). The paths here are good for White admiral. Pass the pond on the left and come onto the heath through the small gate. Head forwards and slightly right downhill and you'll come across a small stream that feeds a series of small ponds leading to a larger pond at the bottom. Keeled are fairly common throughout this area. The dryer heath on the higher ground has grayling and small heath while the buddlia in front of the visitor centre has had silver-washed two years running. Holt Lowes is also supposed to have scarce emerald, but I've never connected.

Winterton Dunes is the spot for rarities, with several firsts (southern emerald, the original small red-eyed report and southern migrant hawker) in previous years (oh and scarce blue-tail). You want to walk north from winterton along the dunes until you come to a series of pools. The largest (in the dunes seawards) has resident common hawker. The smaller pool by the standing concrete blocks at the very end of winterton sssi is where southern emerald and scarce blue tail have been seen.
If you're having problems finding the pools at winterton you might find it easier to walk the back path along the fence by the trees all the way to the blocks. From there the large hawker pool is then seawards and to your right about 100m. But walk back through the dunes to get grayling, dark-green frit, small copper, small heath and forester moth.

For Keeled Skimmer at Holt Lowes, park at the car park at the country park, walk out on the path directly opposite the visitor centre on the other side of the car park and head left towards the pond (4-spot and bbc usual there). The paths here are good for White admiral. Pass the pond on the left and come onto the heath through the small gate. Head forwards and slightly right downhill and you'll come across a small stream that feeds a series of small ponds leading to a larger pond at the bottom. Keeled are fairly common throughout this area. The dryer heath on the higher ground has grayling and small heath while the buddlia in front of the visitor centre has had silver-washed two years running. Holt Lowes is also supposed to have scarce emerald, but I've never connected.

Winterton Dunes is the spot for rarities, with several firsts (southern emerald, the original small red-eyed report and southern migrant hawker) in previous years (oh and scarce blue-tail). You want to walk north from winterton along the dunes until you come to a series of pools. The largest (in the dunes seawards) has resident common hawker. The smaller pool by the standing concrete blocks at the very end of winterton sssi is where southern emerald and scarce blue tail have been seen.
If you're having problems finding the pools at winterton you might find it easier to walk the back path along the fence by the trees all the way to the blocks. From there the large hawker pool is then seawards and to your right about 100m. But walk back through the dunes to get grayling, dark-green frit, small copper, small heath and forester moth.
Do you know of any reports of common hawker at winterton last year?,would love to see one of these

A female Black-tailed Skimmer in the garden this afternoon appeared to be egg-laying in our wildlife pond. A male was also present by the "main" pond.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back