• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk mammals (1 Viewer)

Or perhaps they did not all go off together. You heard about the Orca as well then john? ;)
There were about 6 people on or around Gramborough who considered there were 28 at least. I spent all my time
looking down a lens so did not attempt any counting.
Count at Kelling as they passed East was also 23.
John

Last edited:
Extract from sighting's book for today at Cley NWT visitor centre as follows,..... " 1340 (APPROX) 2 Pilot whales about 500 metres out N/NNW of rerserve.

Pat

Let us pray that they continue on their voyage without let or hindrance.

Yes let's hope they were O.K I saw there was some other video posted here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7I3WbpngkY

Is the bobbing up a sign of distress? Or just looking around?[/QUOTE]

I have watched Pilot Whales doing similar 'looking around' in the Biscay as large ships passed.. Don't think this is unusual behaviour or distress

Sacha

Saw 8 Chinese Water Deer on the patch today, 4 at Claxton the largest group. Clearly on the increase- what might/has the impact of this be/been?

Cheers,
Jim.

I think there a lot more CWdeer about that most people realise. An estate close to the Chet culled 14 the week before last over 2 days and the next day there were still 12 grazing on the marsh at dawn. Back in October I found 34 between the R Chet and the New Cut with a further 27 west of the new Cut to Haddiscoe and 7 on Fritton Marsh. The Broadland population must getting into the high hundreds and possable low thousands these days.

I think there a lot more CWdeer about that most people realise. An estate close to the Chet culled 14 the week before last over 2 days and the next day there were still 12 grazing on the marsh at dawn. Back in October I found 34 between the R Chet and the New Cut with a further 27 west of the new Cut to Haddiscoe and 7 on Fritton Marsh. The Broadland population must getting into the high hundreds and possable low thousands these days.

Here on Thorpe/Haddiscoe marshes only 7 or 8 years ago it was noteworthy to see a CWD - now I can't imagine going anywhere on the local marshes without seeing half a dozen or more. For example I counted 15 from a single (un-elevated) viewpoint over Thorpe marshes on Sunday & I'm sure I could have doubled that if I'd tried. It's also noticeable how common they are away from the river valleys now - over the last year or two they seem to have become much more visible & numerous than muntjac. Further evidence is the increasing number of CWD corpses on the roads: I saw 3 new casualties on a single day within 2 miles of Haddiscoe last week!

Chris A.

Here on Thorpe/Haddiscoe marshes only 7 or 8 years ago it was noteworthy to see a CWD - now I can't imagine going anywhere on the local marshes without seeing half a dozen or more. For example I counted 15 from a single (un-elevated) viewpoint over Thorpe marshes on Sunday & I'm sure I could have doubled that if I'd tried. It's also noticeable how common they are away from the river valleys now - over the last year or two they seem to have become much more visible & numerous than muntjac. Further evidence is the increasing number of CWD corpses on the roads: I saw 3 new casualties on a single day within 2 miles of Haddiscoe last week!

Chris A.

Early one morning last week, pulled onto the main street in the village and one bombed past the car, running full speed down the road! It may be that their impact on humans rather than the ecosystem dictates any future levels of control.

Ermine

Some friends and I saw a beautiful Stoat in near-full ermine at Titchwell yesterday: this photo by Norman Tottle

Attachments

• Stoat with prey 01.jpg
    Stoat with prey 01.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 113
What a lovely fox Mike .

Where did you see that?

I have lived in rural Norfolk for over 14 years and have only seen them twice near to my home... they are such charismatic animals .

Thank you for sharing your pic.

:t: :t:

I found this unfortunate Polecat type animal already dead on the side of the road yesterday along the Shropham Road near Snetterton and wondered if anyone might have opinions as to its possible origin. I have purposefully blanked out its eye on one of the photos out of respect for the poor thing.

Thanks.

Steve.

Attachments

• 107.jpg
    107.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 79
I found this unfortunate Polecat type animal already dead on the side of the road yesterday along the Shropham Road near Snetterton and wondered if anyone might have opinions as to its possible origin. I have purposefully blanked out its eye on one of the photos out of respect for the poor thing.

Thanks.

Steve.

Given the winter coat slightly obscuring the mask I can't see anything wrong with this, and numbers are fairly strong as close as Cambridgeshire. The paws are all dark, which is supposed to be a good sign. Looks like a good Polecat to me. Hopefully some of the other mammalwatchers will offer an opinion, though posting it under mammals rather than Norfolk would have given you a better chance.

John

Thanks for your quick response John. Hopefully it will gain some more opinions and comments and if not, I will move it to another thread. Didn't realise they were as close as Cambridgeshire.

Cheers.

Steve.

I found this unfortunate Polecat type animal already dead on the side of the road yesterday along the Shropham Road near Snetterton and wondered if anyone might have opinions as to its possible origin.

If you haven't already, do put the corpse in your freezer as soon as possible and inform the Vincent Wildlife Trust Polecat Survey:
www.vwt.org.uk/our-work/projects/national-polecat-survey
They will very much appreciate the corpse to do ID and DNA work (and will send you a box to mail it to them).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back