• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Cliffe East Yorkshire Area- a disturbing incident 2nd January 2011 (3 Viewers)

Anne - sure this was an isolated incident. I hope you do come back to the area soon. You can be sure of a warm welcome at North Cave Wetlands - a few interseting birds on the reserve today including: lesser redpolls; corn buntings; green woodpeckers; goosanders; pintail. There has been a water rail in the ditch near the cafe for quite a while now - so you can enjoy a coffee and get great views at the same time.

I've read Anne's post a few times and I still can't figure out the BMW driver.
Her actions were so out of order it's unbelievable. If I'd been in that situation I'd like to think that I would sit calmly, ring the police and wait for them to arrive before accepting the other drivers apologies but I've a feeling that my mouth would go into overdrive at the very least.
However I don't think I, or any of the lads would have been in that situation, I reckon the 'bint' (let's not call her lady) saw that it was just Anne and fancied having a barney.

Hi All

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I only have access to the web and email at work which does limit things a bit.

Marcus, I followed the link and had a look at the courses run by Mike Flowers- unfortunately it looks like they run in the daytime and I'm stuck at work during the weekdays. I've often seen the adverts about though when I've been birding or web surfing for that matter.
I sometimes go out with our local RSPB on their local walks and I occasionally go out with the York OC on their field trips.

I've decided not to let what happened put off and to give the North Cave area another try sometime. It probably won't be this weekend though as Saltholme/Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park is having a bit of a lure for this weekend's trip....
I haven't tried the Wild Bird Cafe yet at North Cave, though I've been told by some of the birders in York that they make some really good homemade cakes- definately one to try sometime.

kind regards
Anne

The Wild Bird Cafe does an excellent line in bacon sandwiches too. Sherry and mulled wine were also on offer on 2nd January when we called in and the welcome was as warm as always. Certainly you can guarantee if the local BMW drivers are a bit on the hideous side, the local cafe is a true bonus to a chilly birder!

Hi All

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I only have access to the web and email at work which does limit things a bit.

Marcus, I followed the link and had a look at the courses run by Mike Flowers- unfortunately it looks like they run in the daytime and I'm stuck at work during the weekdays. I've often seen the adverts about though when I've been birding or web surfing for that matter.
I sometimes go out with our local RSPB on their local walks and I occasionally go out with the York OC on their field trips.

I've decided not to let what happened put off and to give the North Cave area another try sometime. It probably won't be this weekend though as Saltholme/Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park is having a bit of a lure for this weekend's trip....
I haven't tried the Wild Bird Cafe yet at North Cave, though I've been told by some of the birders in York that they make some really good homemade cakes- definately one to try sometime.

kind regards
Anne

Sorry, I've only just had this thread drawn to my attention. In summer I often go to the North Cliffe Wood layby to have my lunch if I want to escape the crowds at North Cave Wetlands. I've never encountered any trouble there. I was at North Cave today & now wish I'd gone to North Cliffe just to see if I would have been accosted. That woman was well out of order & she shouldn't be allowed to get away with that sort of behaviour!

For the record my classes run twice daily Tuesday - Friday. They don't operate on weekends because I can't find enough locations at weekends which are peaceful enough as learning environments.

Well my blood's boiling from just reading this. She would have gone home a sorry bunny had it been me she shouted at.

I too have been harrassed, on two occasions, though not in the same area. Once by a gamekeeper & once by a farmer. The farmer accused me of taking photos of his kids in their bedroom :eek!: - what, 1/4 mile away with a 400 zoom? The game keeper simply constantly stopped his landrover beside me blocking any views - no doubt of illegal activities being carried out by him.
On both occasions, I moved on as it was obvious any opportunities were going to be spoilt - oh, after telling them what I thought of them :C.

I've read Anne's post a few times and I still can't figure out the BMW driver.
Her actions were so out of order it's unbelievable. If I'd been in that situation I'd like to think that I would sit calmly, ring the police and wait for them to arrive before accepting the other drivers apologies but I've a feeling that my mouth would go into overdrive at the very least.
However I don't think I, or any of the lads would have been in that situation, I reckon the 'bint' (let's not call her lady) saw that it was just Anne and fancied having a barney.

i went down the road from holme upon spalding moor on wednesday last the 26th. i parked at every spot i could ,also at the entrance to north cliffe wood,i was there for about 45 minutes, but sadly no sign of the said BMW. i also checked all drives near there but not seen

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back