• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not a scope but a Fluorite camera lens! (3 Viewers)

To be truly attractive it needs to be priced sort of between £1500-2000 as this is cheaper than the big telephotos. Especially as the add-ons you need to make it work will cost a pretty penny too.
I don't think it's been properly covered here but you can swap the back part of the main lens bit to make it either a 350mm f4, a 500mm f5.6 or an 850mm f9.6. You have to set the aperture maunually using an aperture ring but it does still meter with the camera so you can use it in Aperture priority and the like as opposed to manual. And of course the attachement to allow it to accept Kowa EP's and turn it into a scope. BTW Paul which scope model eyepieces does it take?

Despite it's impressive IQ I don't think it can beat a good telephoto for DSLR work though. Very good innovation on Kowa's part no doubt (much better than the bloomin Zeiss photoscope IMO!) but needs to have a good price tag otheriwse it's pretty much a novelty item like so many others before it.

Sorry Paul that's just how I see it. ;) Woz good to see you again tho mate. :t:

Jaff dont be sorry, you said it as you saw it, still not got my head around the concept, but i really liked what i saw, and the quality of the images taken were on a par with a DLSR specific lens and possibly better, especially the lack of CA on the edges, as this is notable with some DSLR lenses. But to me, it is not in competition with DSLR lenses as the autofocus is not there so you cant really compare like for like.

This idea/concept is "thinking outside the box" for me, something most optic manufacturers never do. As i now work for Kowa, i appreciate that people may think i am pushing the product, i would go as far to say that if this never gets off the ground, i have already asked to buy this item for myself at my own expense. Those of you who know me will understand that. Pete Gamby said he knew of 2 people lined up to buy it !

Jaff, the bayonet fitting is that of the 883/4 eyepieces ( 20 - 60 zoom, 30X WA, 25 LER, VA1, VA2, & VA3 and both photo adapters ) and they will all work with this item, i also agree that price will be an issue for some people.

Good to see you as well and the family, and as per usual, not enough time to have a good chat though.

Paul

The Kowa 883/884 have a focal length of ~510mm so it would seem possible EXCEPT there will need to be some kind of erecting prism in the adapter that would lengthen the light path.

Jaff dont be sorry, you said it as you saw it, still not got my head around the concept, but i really liked what i saw, and the quality of the images taken were on a par with a DLSR specific lens and possibly better, especially the lack of CA on the edges, as this is notable with some DSLR lenses. But to me, it is not in competition with DSLR lenses as the autofocus is not there so you cant really compare like for like.

This idea/concept is "thinking outside the box" for me, something most optic manufacturers never do. As i now work for Kowa, i appreciate that people may think i am pushing the product, i would go as far to say that if this never gets off the ground, i have already asked to buy this item for myself at my own expense. Those of you who know me will understand that. Pete Gamby said he knew of 2 people lined up to buy it !

Jaff, the bayonet fitting is that of the 883/4 eyepieces ( 20 - 60 zoom, 30X WA, 25 LER, VA1, VA2, & VA3 and both photo adapters ) and they will all work with this item, i also agree that price will be an issue for some people.

Good to see you as well and the family, and as per usual, not enough time to have a good chat though.

Paul

I'm with Paul here. After using my Nikon EDG85 with DSLR via FSA-L2 Adapter, I understand the concept by Kowa is similar with Nikon. You will get 2 in 1 combination instead of carrying another DSLR with long lens while birding. This is advantage for bird guide like me who could not carry many things in the forest.

Means these Kowa could be used as a scope and telephoto lens even though it is on manual focus because the straight body design and changing eyepiece and adapter for your DSLR on the field is faster with bayonet type mount. I can do mine within 5 seconds :king:

Last edited:
I had a good look at this new Lens too while at the Birdfair.
I agree too, it's a full system solution more than just a telephoto lens. The ability to quickly change between SLR or Prismatic scope adaptor and eyepeice greatly reduces the amount of kit that needs to be carried into the field. I am sure the manual focus wouldn't be too big a problem either - perhaps for birds in flight but should be fine for ground or tree based subjects.

I await detailed testing reports with interest.

I am sure the manual focus wouldn't be too big a problem either - perhaps for birds in flight but should be fine for ground or tree based subjects.

I await detailed testing reports with interest.

Yup on manual focus it is possible to get in flight shot for certain birds ;) check my gallery :king:

Paul

Cheers Paul. I don't think Kowa display at the NW Birdfair like some of the other optics comps do they? Guess I won't see you there then.

Good to know it takes the top ep's. Does the Min Foc distance of it change depending on what ever attatchment is on the back of it or is it fixed? At any rate if it's sub 2m then it could be pretty solid at doing macro work with a set of Ext. tubes too, another potential application for it.

It's simplistic design is probs why it has the superb optics, similar to many older SLR lenses which are reputed to have better IQ than their modern counterparts. When you start putting things like super fast, near silent AF motors and IS in things you greatly increase the number of elements that need to be used and that affects IQ and can introduce some CA. I imagine it'll be sold like the DC4 was, a small limited stock produced and then sold to whoever wants one and that'll be it.

Oh and BTW PAul if that was your X3 in that promo video then get a better car mate! ;)

Cheers Paul. I don't think Kowa display at the NW Birdfair like some of the other optics comps do they? Guess I won't see you there then.

Good to know it takes the top ep's. Does the Min Foc distance of it change depending on what ever attatchment is on the back of it or is it fixed? At any rate if it's sub 2m then it could be pretty solid at doing macro work with a set of Ext. tubes too, another potential application for it.

It's simplistic design is probs why it has the superb optics, similar to many older SLR lenses which are reputed to have better IQ than their modern counterparts. When you start putting things like super fast, near silent AF motors and IS in things you greatly increase the number of elements that need to be used and that affects IQ and can introduce some CA. I imagine it'll be sold like the DC4 was, a small limited stock produced and then sold to whoever wants one and that'll be it.

Oh and BTW PAul if that was your X3 in that promo video then get a better car mate! ;)

Dont know about NW Birdfair, i recall Pyser being there one time when i was with Zeiss? No the X3 wasnt mine but it was the only wheels available as my Veyron has gone in for a tune up ;)

ATB

Paul

Thanks for the vid link. That's the gentleman that gave me the quick demo at the birdfair.

Still think it's an excellent solution idea and a good bit of thinking! :t:

From the shape of the prism housing it looks like the prism may be a Porro Type II. With a 2" adapter this rear end could be used on an astronomical refractor.

Is this lens optically identical to the 88mm scopes? Anybody seen a cutaway view?

From the shape of the prism housing it looks like the prism may be a Porro Type II. With a 2" adapter this rear end could be used on an astronomical refractor.

Is this lens optically identical to the 88mm scopes? Anybody seen a cutaway view?

Henry

As far as i can tell the lenses in the main body are the same as the 883/884, 1 Flourite crystal lens in the objective, and 2 XD ( extra low dispersion lenses ) plus other lenses, i have no info on the prism as yet.

As far as i know ( and i am new to the Kowa product ) there is no 2" adapter for the 880 series, maybe a 3rd part company makes one?

I havent seen a cutaway of this product which is still a prototype, there is no certainty it will be put into production i am led to believe.

Have attached a few pics showing the specification, hope this helps?

Paul

Attachments

• RIMG0066.jpg
    RIMG0066.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 197
  • RIMG0067.jpg
    RIMG0067.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 161
  • RIMG0082.jpg
    RIMG0082.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Thanks for the information, Paul. I notice that there are 7 elements in the 500mm configuration. That would be two more than the 883/4. Does the 500mm adapter have lenses inside or is it just a hollow tube? Perhaps a field flattening doublet was added to minimize field curvature on the flat camera sensor.

Henry

Thanks for the information, Paul. I notice that there are 7 elements in the 500mm configuration. That would be two more than the 883/4. Does the 500mm adapter have lenses inside or is it just a hollow tube? Perhaps a field flattening doublet was added to minimize field curvature on the flat camera sensor.

Henry

i have a feeling it was a hollow tube?

whatever it is, its a great piece of kit !

Paul

With the image erector it got more interesting!!! As Henry said it can be easily adapted for use on astro-telescopes. As someone already showed here it's also possible to adapt astronomical eyepieces to the Kowa bayonet.
The photo quality should better than for ex: the NiKon EDG system, because there is no prism when taking photos.
Unfortunately the erector piece doesn't attach to the photos pieces - it would be interesting to get also the 3 focal lengths for visual use...
I would be nice if I could use my bino setup http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=183319 with this lens - it should be more compact and with internal focusing. Well Kowa could think also on a Bino-viewer option...:-O
Eventually people from astro-photography will be interested in this lens and Kowa should have a look also on that potential market.

Well it's out next week.

About ¥240,000 if you get it with the 500 F5.6 adapter and that's the 'street' price. The other adapters don't come cheap, if you want the 850mm one and the eyepiece holder you can figure on spending another ¥90,000. I don't know how that would translate into US prices but if they follow the exchange rate it's going to be the best part of $3000 just to get started with the standard 500mm adapter, a tad expensive for a MF lens. You're not far off the price of a brand new Sigma 500 F4.5.

I wonder if teleconverters can be used with it? If you already have a 1.4 you'd get a 700mm F8 lens.....................

Brilliant optics or not it's still somewhat overpriced IMHO, if it drops to around around $1500 I may be tempted.

Last edited:
I believe the discounted price here in Tokyo will be ~229,000 yen. ...
Rick

Base price 218,400yen. Call me the Amazing Kreskin!8-PSilly though to pay another 21,000 yen for basically a hollow tube to connect your camera.

The MTF graphs indicate this will be an AMAZINGLY sharp optic. Even more so when in 350mm F4 configuration. Dual speed focus rings. Dust and weathersealed objective lens too. All wrapped up in a 2kg package. I think it is gonna sell like hotcakes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, Rick. I see from the cutaway diagrams that there is an extra doublet in this lens compared to the 883/4 scopes and the visual back adds yet another lens or lens group in front of the Porro II prism.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back