• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not well up on ducks, what is this one please? (1 Viewer)

Jane P

Jane
I am ok with garden birds but not sure what type of duck this is? Advice please!

Attachments

• Picture duck.jpg
    Picture duck.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
A mallard with a pigmentation mutation allowing the pigment that normally would only colour the head feathers to colour the body feathers as well.

Would have to agree, the curly tail feathers are the giveaway for mallard. What an odd bird!

It is odd, isn't it. That's what prompted my husband to photograph it. I never thought about it being a mutation, just thought it was some sort of strange duck - which I suppose it is!

Are ducks more likely to show variation or to crossbreed than songbirds and the like? Through posts and through other reading, I've noticed more variation in this group.

-Craig

I think ducks are particularly prone to cross-breeding - enough to get "common" hybrids described in field guides. And Mallards in particular will have a go at anything!

I think that it is because ducks are randy little b****rs and will mate with anything.:eek!: There's also the fact that ducks have been domesticated for many thousands of years during which time a certain amount of selective breeding will have been done, whether intentional or not, by the farmers.
Passerines courtship & breeding behaviour tends to be more strictly defined, so less chance of two birds of different species mating, and they have not been domesticated as such.

Last edited:
birdman said:
I think ducks are particularly prone to cross-breeding - enough to get "common" hybrids described in field guides. And Mallards in particular will have a go at anything!

Hybrid ducks are seemingly alot more "common" than other types of avian hybrids... on the whole, hybirds are a rare thing so I would imagine by the use of common, they mean common in terms of occurrence of hybridization.

I know what I mean anyway. 8-P :girl:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back