• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nuthatches (1 Viewer)

smudger

Smudger
I have been watching a Nuthatch this afternoon take nuts from a feeder, then fly to different parts of the garden and hide them either in the grass banks or in rock crevices. i have never seen this happen before. Is this normal or are we in for a hard winter.

smudger said:
I have been watching a Nuthatch this afternoon take nuts from a feeder, then fly to different parts of the garden and hide them either in the grass banks or in rock crevices. i have never seen this happen before. Is this normal or are we in for a hard winter.
Hi from just north of you....this is a common thing with Nuthatches as they force the nut into a crack and that then becomes a vice for holding and eating the nut just as Bluetits use thier feet to hold the nut so a Nuthatch uses a tree..ps I used to live in Ceredigion near Llanybydder B :)

Nuthatch

themexican said:
Hi from just north of you....this is a common thing with Nuthatches as they force the nut into a crack and that then becomes a vice for holding and eating the nut just as Bluetits use thier feet to hold the nut so a Nuthatch uses a tree..ps I used to live in Ceredigion near Llanybydder B :)
Not far from Llanybydder, bought a car from there once, nice part of the County. I have seen Nuthatches using a fork in a tree branch to open nuts, but this one was hiding the nuts as if storing for latter use.
smudger

Hello smudger and on behalf of the entire staff here at BirdForum, a warm welcome to you :t:

Yes, nuthatches, chicadees and woodpeckers seem to be very good at storing food for the winter months.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back