• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oberwerk 8x32 SE (1 Viewer)

"Reviews are like opinions and that other body part, everyone has one." My wife says that all the time, except she is more explicit on the body part! People are dreaming if they think the Oberwerk is going to touch the SE. No way!

Looks like the review thread at Cloudy Nights is going to be a rambling, subjective and speculative affair, in part due to Fiske's inclinations, but also thanks to other contributors. I doubt that any real substantive information about the optics will emerge. I'm thinking about doing a review since at least I have an SE for comparison and know how to measure things, but I don't like buying stuff I'm likely to return. Maybe, if I can arrange some time with the test unit.

"Reviews are like opinions and that other body part, everyone has one." My wife says that all the time, except she is more explicit on the body part! People are dreaming if they think the Oberwerk is going to touch the SE. No way!
Why can’t it? New glass, ED component, newer coatings and cheap China labor with US company QC inspection before release. Sounds to me at this price point could be a winner. It’s a shame MIC.

So far as I can judge the Oberwerk SE 8x32 and Nikon SE 8x32 are totally different binoculars.

The Oberwerk does not seem to be a clone, they just pinched the SE moniker and shape.

Nikon won't have licensed it, as it seems to be a different binocular.

In addition, I don't think that testing a sample provided by a maker, who has selected a cherry example, is a good guide.

Sky and Telescope used to buy samples retail to test.

Even that isn't adequate.

From my experience one has to buy at least three samples from different batches and test them all.

In addition, China has in the past exported good samples and then let the quality drop.

Even the importers often don't know what they are getting.

I had about 8 Revelation 15x70s.
Mine were aligned as the importer had to check each one.
Some were fully multicoated with a quoted 92% transmission, but some were not.

Basically, modern Chinese goods, in my opinion, cannot be trusted, unless the importer has complete control of quality.

When we had exclusive import rights for some Chinese goods from the 1930s to the 1960s, their ethics were first class, and the quality very good and consistent.
It is true that the Chinese employment was probably not something we cared to think about, but Britain had workhouses in earlier times.

However, as Oberwerk seem to check every binocular they import, the quality should be quite good with the Oberwerk SE 8x32.

B.

Once the snowstorm passes, we'll see if Fiske's 90% edge sharpness opinion holds up when he tests it on the night sky. I like the sharp edges on the SE but I'm not bothered by the field curvature on the E2 since the fall off is gradual and the FOV so wide that I don't notice it. Also, field curvature seems to create a better perception of depth. So, what's important for daytime use is different than stargazing, which is why I'm looking forward to reading reviews by birders/nature observers.

From the comments I've read, Obie has apparently improved the build quality and reliability of its bins. When I bought some big binoculars from Obie before it partnered with Kunming, the build quality was flimsy. I ordered a big bin for stargazing, and it arrived out of collimation, and the right eyecup came off in my hand when I adjusted the right diopter (the eyecup had a glued on cardboard ring underneath it!). I sent it back, and Kevin said he checked the second sample himself and even signed his initials on the box, but it still arrived out of collimation.

I doubt the OB SE could match the optical quality of the SE, one of the best binoculars ever made, for only $249. Then again, I was surprised at the optical quality of the Cabela 8x32 Guide, which sold for $200 but performs well above its price point. However, it was made in Japan by Kamakura. Designing the OB SE to look like a Nikon 8x32 SE and using the same name "SE" (though with the Obie, it means "Special Edition" not "Superior E"), was obviously meant to set up expectations of it being of the same high quality as Nikon's SE. If it falls short but is still a well made porro, I have to give credit to Kevin for trying to recreate a classic porro.

Here's a photo of my 8x32 SE with two-piece eyecup covers and sunshades on the objective housings, which makes it look like the OB SE (except it's not green!).

Brock

Attachments

• DSCN7231.JPG
    DSCN7231.JPG
    458.6 KB · Views: 52
I feel like getting my Nikon SE 8x32s out of the cupboard and using them. I don't use them anywhere as often as I should. This thread has given me SE nostalgia 😂

Once the snowstorm passes, we'll see if Fiske's 90% edge sharpness opinion holds up when he tests it on the night sky. I like the sharp edges on the SE but I'm not bothered by the field curvature on the E2 since the fall off is gradual and the FOV so wide that I don't notice it. Also, field curvature seems to create a better perception of depth. So, what's important for daytime use is different than stargazing, which is why I'm looking forward to reading reviews by birders/nature observers.

From the comments I've read, Obie has apparently improved the build quality and reliability of its bins. When I bought some big binoculars from Obie before it partnered with Kunming, the build quality was flimsy. I ordered a big bin for stargazing, and it arrived out of collimation, and the right eyecup came off in my hand when I adjusted the right diopter (the eyecup had a glued on cardboard ring underneath it!). I sent it back, and Kevin said he checked the second sample himself and even signed his initials on the box, but it still arrived out of collimation.

I doubt the OB SE could match the optical quality of the SE, one of the best binoculars ever made, for only $249. Then again, I was surprised at the optical quality of the Cabela 8x32 Guide, which sold for $200 but performs well above its price point. However, it was made in Japan by Kamakura. Designing the OB SE to look like a Nikon 8x32 SE and using the same name "SE" (though with the Obie, it means "Special Edition" not "Superior E"), was obviously meant to set up expectations of it being of the same high quality as Nikon's SE. If it falls short but is still a well made porro, I have to give credit to Kevin for trying to recreate a classic porro.

Here's a photo of my 8x32 SE with two-piece eyecup covers and sunshades on the objective housings, which makes it look like the OB SE (except it's not green!).

Brock
Fix the darn macro lens or get a ten year old smart phone for god sakes 😝.

Happy holidays.
Paul

Last edited:

Brock
Those sunshades are nice! Keep on rocking, Brock. Good to hear from you again!

This thread has given me SE nostalgia.
Me, too, or maybe it's a twinge of arthritis from the cold temperatures. :)

The 8x32 SE was my first pair of premium birding binoculars, so there is definitely a nostalgia element, but when I compared the 501xxx SE to the Nikon 8x42 EDG and the 100th Anniversary Edition 8x30 E2, I found the SE held up remarkably well. The colors aren't as vibrant but the resolution and contrast are outstanding. It's a testimony how far ahead of their time they were.

The 8x32 SE was my first pair of premium birding binoculars, so there is definitely a nostalgia element, but when I compared the 501xxx SE to the Nikon 8x42 EDG and the 100th Anniversary Edition 8x30 E2, I found the SE held up remarkably well. The colors aren't as vibrant but the resolution and contrast are outstanding. It's a testimony how far ahead of their time they were.
There is definitely something special about them. I doubt I will ever sell mine.
I just gave my father's pair to my brother (dad now in care home with dementia). Bro isn't a birder and doesn't really appreciate just how good the SEs are but he is using them and enjoying them. It's good to know they are in use and giving pleasure.

The 8x32 SE was my first pair of premium birding binoculars, so there is definitely a nostalgia element, but when I compared the 501xxx SE to the Nikon 8x42 EDG and the 100th Anniversary Edition 8x30 E2, I found the SE held up remarkably well. The colors aren't as vibrant but the resolution and contrast are outstanding. It's a testimony how far ahead of their time they were. And the Japanese optical engineers who designed them.

Beacon Hill is from memory a long term maker of optics, particularly telescopes.

(Beacon Hill Telescopes).

Regards,
B.
Yes you are right. Beacon Hill is a telescope maker. He made me a 6" and 10" Dob.
But BH is simply my name here and nothing to do with the company.
I did actually notice a few people landing on my website thanks to Yarrelliis link.
So I did a 2nd video update on the Visionary,s in a little more detail. Don,t like to link to my own pages if not allowed.

BTW if you are wondering. The sheep on my profile pic is the main star on all my you-tube thumbnails.

The use of the SE name strikes me as more than a bit mischievous (especially given that it isn't, in fact, a copy of the Nikon SE!). But then again, this is a company that sells PRC made binoculars under the German-sounding moniker "Oberwerk"... So what's next - an Oberwerk EII?

Given the praise for the (Nikon) SE oft voiced here, one would think there is a market for a true high grade porro - and no doubt one could be made in the PRC (Holger's review of the Ares 8x30, for instance, suggested a well built and optically very good product that could be easily developed into something suitable for birding. But I guess the market thinks otherwise.

The use of the SE name strikes me as more than a bit mischievous (especially given that it isn't, in fact, a copy of the Nikon SE!). But then again, this is a company that sells PRC made binoculars under the German-sounding moniker "Oberwerk"... So what's next - an Oberwerk EII?

Given the praise for the (Nikon) SE oft voiced here, one would think there is a market for a true high grade porro - and no doubt one could be made in the PRC (Holger's review of the Ares 8x30, for instance, suggested a well built and optically very good product that could be easily developed into something suitable for birding. But I guess the market thinks otherwise.
Since the SEs are being made in the same configurations as the Nikon SEs, there's no doubt that they were designed to make a connection with the Nikon SEs. What some might call "mischievous," business people call "marketing." :)

I also thought it was strange that Kevin chose a German name for a company that sells Chinese-made binoculars. Then I found an explanation on his company's website that explains the name:

The term Oberwerk comes from organ music (German for “above work”), and refers to the division of pipes physically mounted higher than the rest of the pipes, and played from the upper-most manual (keyboard) on a large multi-manual pipe organ. So the name was chosen because of the “above the rest” connotation, and also because Kevin’s software development was done outside of his “day job”.

“ …… a well built and optically very good product that could be easily developed into something suitable for birding.”
I’m curious about this phrase.

What, in your opinion, makes a binocular “suitable for birding” and what kind of development would be required?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back