• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Objective lens covers - What Are They For? (5 Viewers)

Sancho,

If you've ever come out of the cold into a heated room with your bins you'll see that everything steams up, and when it's all evaporated again there are usually some unpleasant marks on the lenses. The rain guards and objective covers prevent this. On the other hand, I don't really see much sense in scope covers, but that's another story. ;-)

So, now back to my Laphroaig.
Cheers everyone,

John

Sancho,

If you've ever come out of the cold into a heated room with your bins you'll see that everything steams up, and when it's all evaporated again there are usually some unpleasant marks on the lenses. The rain guards and objective covers prevent this. On the other hand, I don't really see much sense in scope covers, but that's another story. ;-)

So, now back to my Laphroaig.
Cheers everyone,

John
Ah, heated rooms. Such luxury. Haven´t had one of them since I bankrupted the family buying fancy bins (with little rubbery-swingy lens covers attached). Oh for a ball of malt such as a nice peaty Laphroaig to warm up my innards. But scope covers, absolutely spot on there, John...don´t get me started on scope covers or we´ll have to start all over again, and our Stateside Brethren are suffering badly with all this malt-talk, what with the Customs and Excise men swiping it all on them. BTW, wasn´t it something similar that started all that Tea Affair in Boston? Can´t imagine getting all that worked up about a cup of Darjeeling...

Last edited:
Lens Cleaner

Actually, those covers protect the lenses from my fingers, when I pull the binocular out of its case.
Happy bird watching, Arthur
P.S. Recent security precautions on airplanes arriving in the USA has diminished my supply of duty free Islay malts.

Here's a double-saver for you Arthur:
Throw away the lens caps, and use the alchohol you've saved-up to clean your finger marks off the glass! I'm sure you'll have a bottle of ARDBEG single malt in your collection, ha harr!
Seriously though, have you tasted that stuff? It's the only really horrible Islay Malt. Tastes rather like a double dry Laphroaig that's had a tin of woodworm treatment added, and then a weasel pee'd into the bottle while the man went away to get the cork! I used mine for cleaning glass, as it was undrinkable.
Bowmore Legend however, there's a different story. Especially in the Bridge End Hotel on Islay on a rainy January night, to the sound of ten thousand White-Fronted Geese calling out on the saltings....

all the best Paul (off shpping to Pukekohe Liquormart for another bottle)

But puppies carry the advantage, to the unattached hominid male (if I remember those days accurately), of being devastatingly attractive to the female of the species. The hominid species, that is, not the puppy-ine one. (I later discovered that one´s small children in tow have much the same effect on females - not, of course, the one that´s already attached to one, rather random unattached ones

I totally agree about the effect of being out with little kids, I once did a complete supermarket trip with my then 4 month old daughter asleep in my arms (tucked into the fleece)... my wife reckoned that if she'd not been there I could have gone home with whoever I wanted! I can't imagine that lens caps could have quite the same effect.

As far as I can tell the only thing that objective caps do is get in the way when you grab your bins to have a quick look at a bird, the box is the best place to keep them.

BTW, wasn´t it something similar that started all that Tea Affair in Boston? Can´t imagine getting all that worked up about a cup of Darjeeling...

But, Sancho that's the most essential fluid of all! Throwing the stuff into the sea was the start of a sorry decline.
Ireland (as the world's premier tea consumers) and East Fresia (in northern Germany) are sadly the last bastions of civilisation. Even my English countrymen are becomig increasingly seduced by that brutal bean brew.

John

PostcardCV - If only we´d realised as 20-year olds that the only fashion accessory the mate-hungry young male needs is a fledgling-human in a baby-carrier attached to the chest. Could have saved a fortune on silly clothes. But have you noticed how the effect wears off as the kids get older? All I get is sympathetic looks from grannies. (Or is it that I´ve gotten older and the grannies are......oh dear....)

John - Despite the massive consumption here, I´m convinced that no-one here makes proper pots of tea with tea-leaves anymore - most of the tea sold in Ireland now is that vile tea-bag stuff. We´ve gone all cosmopolitan and fast-paced (well, we would be if the roads weren´t only half-built).

Bushmills has been dismissed, by my former colleague, Jim McGibney, as "Protestant whiskey." Laphroiag cask strength warms the cockles of my heart but Bowmore will do nicely, thank you.

I carry my newest binoculars with rain guard and tethered objectives but without the case. The covers work well, but the case would provide a little shock proofing. The covers are essential in sub tropical United States, where the move from air conditioning to a humid outdoors is rather like moving from frigid outdoors to warm home with a busy kitchen.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

I have been told that Bushmills and Jameson are both made in the same distillery in Ulster.

I'd like to put in a word for the finest Islay of all; Lagavulin. An outstanding, astounding malt!

The best objectives (and eyepiece) cover is that fine lightweight leather case Leica supplies with their Trinovids. Just unzipper it and slide it up the straps and put the binoculars to use. It makes a good nose muff when you use it that way too!:king:
Cheers,B :)
Bob

About 20 years ago a good friend gave me a birthday present of 6 whisky tots embossed with the logos of 6 different Irish Whiskys. The instructions were not to wear them out. They have seen good use but are still in excellent condition.

I think they are made out of Schott Glass!

I couldn't resist that!:-O:-O:-O

Bob

But puppies carry the advantage, to the unattached hominid male (if I remember those days accurately), of being devastatingly attractive to the female of the species.

I later devised a fiendish money-making plot, thought I´d patent the idea, renting out puppies to single males to take walking in the hope of attracting females.
"

May work well until to take Puppy along with you on the occasion of your first date.
While you have a cup of "scotch tea" with the unattached one in the kitchen, Puppy may decide to take a nap on the white leather sofa.
"Have it stuffed!" may well be the last you'll hear on your way out, back to SPRS (Sancho's Puppy Rental Service).

8-P,
Tom

Sancho. There's is no need for the 'unattached young male' to resort to your Puppy or Infant Hire projects to achieve romantic success. Surely the most powerful tool in the armoury is humour. Have you considered the potential of those simple plastic lens caps as comedy props? I am sure a demonstration of them as Mickey Mouse Ears, Ozzie Osbourne Glasses or Shirley Bassey Ear Rings would melt the heart of any young maiden and produce the required result.

Ron

Last edited:
Sancho. There's is no need for the 'unattached young male' to resort to your Puppy or Infant Hire projects to achieve romantic success. Surely the most powerful tool in the armoury is humour. Have you considered the potential of those simple plastic lens caps as comedy props? I am sure a demonstration of them as Mickey Mouse Ears, Ozzie Osbourne Glasses or Shirley Bassey Ear Rings would melt the heart of any young maiden and produce the required result.

Ron
I tried out Ron and Sancho´s Hilarious Lens Caps sketch on the kids today. They said "Dad, get out of the way, we can´t see the T.V. Can´t you go and watch birds or something?" So I went and bought myself a bottle of Laphroaig.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back