• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Wheatear sp. - East Coast of England (1 Viewer)

Idle Valley Birder

An Idle Valley Birder
If you would all be so kind as to humour me for a while and give your thoughts on the species depicted in the sketch in the attached item please.

Attachments

• Wheatear Sketch & Info 2010 (2).doc
    253.5 KB · Views: 119
Could be a Pied.

I'm a bit intrigued as to why:

There is no specific date in 'October', and
This is coming out now....

Def not a Pied as there is no mention of the mantle being 'scalloped', IMO one of the immediate things you notice ( I know Black-eared can show it - but not to the same extent). If it was a Pied, I would also expect the mention of the bird being noticably dark as well. Most of the description doesn't rule out a bright, autumnal Northern, it's just that anomalous tail pattern ( the same on Pied and Be, in most cases ) that's making me wonder.

Chris

I must admit that the tail was what swayed me pied-ward. I agree about the general appearance of the rest of the bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back