• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus SP-570 UZ (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
HI Guys, I am In the hunt for a 2nd camera to take in the field with me & have seen 2 which I are possiblities. The first Is the Olympus SP-570 UZ & the second Is the FUJIFILM S8100FD. The Fuji reviews say It has a zoom of 28mm to 486mm & 18x optical zoom. The Olympus reviews say 26mm to 520mm & optical zoom of 20x. I shoot wildlife/birds with a 100-400 lens on a 40D body, will either of these of cameras be more than adequate for wildlife.... Thanks.

sean.

Hi Sean,

I would say that you have more options. Another is a Canon PowerShot SX10 IS. On the other hand, I have to say that:
- having a 40D you'll be dissapointed with AF (all superzooms have some problems with AF)
- I think you'll need a teleconverter (TCON 1.7 seems to be the best) for these cameras (40D + 100-400 means a max focal lenght about 640 mm...)

Last edited:
The rule of thumb for determining the magnification of a lens is to divide the mm by 50. So, for example, a lens that goes from 26mm to 520mm goes from less-than-1 (wide-angle) to about 10.4x magnification (like 10x binocs).

hi guys, sorry for the late reply. Ive decided to go for the Canon powershot SX1. Im familiar with canon's & Its the first of Its kind with a CMOS sensor for better quality, so jusat waiting for Jessops to get them In stock, should be approx 3 days from today. Cant wait, It really looks the business & then might have a look at a decent scope..

Regards.
Sean..

hi guys, sorry for the late reply. Ive decided to go for the Canon powershot SX1. Im familiar with canon's & Its the first of Its kind with a CMOS sensor for better quality, so jusat waiting for Jessops to get them In stock, should be approx 3 days from today. Cant wait, It really looks the business & then might have a look at a decent scope..

Regards.
Sean..

I for one am interested in how you get along with your camera when you receive it! Please let us know.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back