• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oman. Sea birds (1 Viewer)

testoduro

Last week. My attempts:

1. Steppe Gull.
2. A Palla's Gull in front of a choir of Greater Crested Tern. I don't know what the young gull on the far left is.
3 Two Lesser Crested Terns in the middle. I don't know how to tell LCT apart from GCTs but these particular birds look smaller than the surrounding Sooty Gulls.
4 A small Sandwich Tern? in the middle. However, I can't spot a yellow tip on its bill.

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Mystery 2 Caspio.jpg
    Mystery 2 Caspio.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • Palla's gull.jpg
    Palla's gull.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 39
  • Mystery.jpg
    Mystery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • Mystery 5.jpg
    Mystery 5.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 40
Thanks Butty, I enclose two more pictures of 4 (4B and 4C). The bird looks very small in comparison to the Greater Crested Terns and Sooty Gulls in the back. Pic 4C, unlike pics 4A and 4B, shows a very curved bill. A Little/ Saunder's Tern?

Attachments

• Mystery 4B.jpg
    Mystery 4B.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • Mystery 4C.jpg
    Mystery 4C.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thanks Butty, I enclose two more pictures of 4 (4B and 4C). The bird looks very small in comparison to the Greater Crested Terns and Sooty Gulls in the back. Pic 4C, unlike pics 4A and 4B, shows a very curved bill. A Little/ Saunder's Tern?
yes this does look very small, and last pic in particular recalls one of those 2 [4c]

Odd. Really doesn't make me think little tern. But maybe the leg and bill colours are just photo-artefact - after all, the top half of the head looks pinkish...

I am in Oman right now and have been seeing the same terns all over! The ones in photos 4B and 4C I mean. My current guess is non-breeding Common Terns but I am not sure. I just posted my own thread about this with lots of photos, in case that helps. At least the ones I've seen have been significantly bigger than Little Terns (I have a photo with a Little Tern in it too) but they really don't seem big enough to be Sandwich terns and anyway I don't see any yellow tips. I am also wondering if it could be a non-breeding White-Cheeked Tern because those look very similar to Common Terns - not really sure how to tell the difference with non-breeding plumage on those two though...

Thank you to all of you. Things are clearing up now. The only thing left is the identification of the large gull in pic. 2, of which I'm attaching an enlargement (2 B) Is it a Pallas's Gull?

Attachments

• 2 B.jpg
    2 B.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 3
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back