• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One 8x3x to rule them all (2 Viewers)

looksharp65

Sweden
Hello everyone! Lately I've had a lumbago acuta that has prevented me from going surfski paddling, so revitalising the birding seems the obvious route to go.
My youngest son left college for university in another city, so there's a new world of freedom to explore. Maybe 2023 will be my Big Year.
As you may know, I nowadays only do eco-birding, which, in my interpretation, means staying clear from any motors including public transportation. There's not many more species I've only seen while moving about with a car. Four are so rare that it's not feasible to expect to see them anymore in my life, only two are left. Then, obviously, I have quite a few species that I must blush when admitting they're not yet on my list.

Anyhow, days are getting shorter rapidly here in the north and we're approaching the autumnal equinox. Since I work until 6 pm, I need to get out immediately after work to get a couple of hours of light. The idea of storing a birding backpack at work is old, and I'm reviving it but thinking of what to actually put in it.
Tonight, it was the Meostar 8x32 and the Zen-Ray 7x43 along with the Nikon ED50A 27x and a monopod.
This is, by the way, my current collection: Revisiting BF - Current binocular collection
The sun got further and further towards the horizon and I swapped between the two binoculars, unable to find any brightness difference. I rode the bike home and continued the test with the same result. Just after the sun was down, I thought I may have seen a tiny advantage for the 7x43.

Looking at my current collection, there's no 10x in it. Many years ago, I found that there was no practical difference in detail rendition between the 10x32 FL and the Nikon 8x30 E II, which turned my world around. All 10x left my house, including my old man's Classic Dialyt 10x40 that I left to my older son.
The 12x50 is another beast. The step up is sufficient to justify owning and carrying two classes of binoculars: 7/8x and 12x. The Meostar is actually easy to hold steady.

So, here goes: Earlier I found out that a 10x made no sense. Now it seems that exit pupils above 4 or maybe 5 millimeters also make no sense for me. I won't sell the EDG 7x42, arguably the world's best binocular, but it appears to be redundant.
All this leaves me in a strange situation where I was prepared to buy a 10x42 or 10x50 for my store-at-work backpack, but might very well just go with the little Meostar, and, if planning succeeds, sometimes also the big Meostar. There won't be a 10x, and I can't afford the NL Pure 12x42 especially as the big Meostar is so good.

But... [honoring the thread title]
Neither of my three 8x30/8x32 is perfect :( The E II has the most exquisite image, The Kite Lynx is quite close but a lot more handy, and the Meostar is very rugged and has that strange thing I call big PFOV (actual FOV less than either of the two 8x30, but it almost disappears when eyecups are down, and it's the only one I can use with glasses), but the image hue isn't quite satisfactory.

I'd be willing to spend a fair amount of money on one fantastic 8x3x that combines the treats of these three (although the wonderful porro 3D must be sacrificed). But I can't seem to find the 8x3x to rule them all. The Monarch HG and the CL Companion don't seem to offer enough qualities above, say, the Kite, to justify spending about €1000.
Obviously, this a first world problem. I'd probably not throw out one of my current midsizers anyway, even if I found the Grail. So, as so often before, this is only a constructed problem and faked agony. Unless someone points out the best-ever midsizer that mysteriously went under my radar, I actually gravitate towards the updated Meostar. Everything else being the same, but it had the hue corrected, I'd not look back. Looking forward to see your replies and debate.

//L

Zeiss SF 8x32.

Lee
Hello,

Its predecessor, the 8x32 Zeiss FL, pushed all my buttons and I wear eyeglasses. I prefer it to the Nikon SE and EII, and the Leica BN, all of which I have owned. However, choice among well made binoculars is rather personal. You have to try them before buying, or purchase a binocular from a vendor with a good return policy.

Stay safe,
Arthiur Pinewood

The elusive do-it-all perfect 8x32...

I doubt there is one that works in any conditions.

Larger exit pupil is always nicer...

Perhaps the SFL 8x40 (at 640 grams) could be worth a try?

Hello,

Its predecessor, the 8x32 Zeiss FL, pushed all my buttons and I wear eyeglasses. I prefer it to the Nikon SE and EII, and the Leica BN, all of which I have owned. However, choice among well made binoculars is rather personal. You have to try them before buying, or purchase a binocular from a vendor with a good return policy.

Stay safe,
Arthiur Pinewood
And look at the birds and animals not at the binos. If the subjects look good, the binos are good.

Lee

Struggling a bit here to remain openminded about you suggestions, and won't point out apparent or hidden shortcomings of the suggestions you made. Will soon be able to try out a couple of them, and will take the opportunity.
But my list of requirements is actually quite long.

Binoculars must focus clockwise towards infinity, or I might as well go with SVBonys.
Wide field of view is highly desirable, and so is a big PFOV (sorry...) Colour rendition can be very neutral as long as it doesn't appear dull, and I prefer the slightly punchy but dimmer Nikon-Leica colour style. Obviously they should have a big sweet spot. The pair I want must be usable with spectacles (E II and Lynx HD don't make it, the Meostar does). A rugged but small package does it for me.

So: EDG optics but wider in the Meostar frame should be a correct summary of the list. Honestly, the only thing I can fault the little Meostar with is the yellow hue.

Regarding 8x40 binoculars, and even the Retrovid 7x35, it seems exit pupils above 4 mm is a waste on me. There are probably situations at night or under thick canopy where 5-6 mm EP might appear brighter, but all my birding is done under open sky also in the evenings.
And that open sky will always be brighter than terrestrial objects, and prohibit my pupils to open up enough to allow me to see a difference.

Regarding easy eye placement, well, sadly neither the EDG 7X42 nor the Zen-Ray 7x43 are fast binoculars like the Vortex Fury 6,5x32 I used to hold in high regard. On the contrary, both are a bit finicky so they are no "warbler hunters". All my three 8x3x are actually easier on the eyes. That said, the image presented through the EDG is both so sublime, and so unfathomably sharp that it defies description.

Prices have skyrocketed, but even if the Meostar B1.1's price tag is above the little MHG and the CL Companion, but it has a better colour rendition than the original version, I believe it's as close to perfect for my needs any binocular could ever be.
And its price is only about half of the recent alphas.

//L

Have you used/looked through a Zeiss 8X32 SF, or a Swarovski 8X32 EL SV in spite of the howls about glare in the EL?
The SF has arguably some seriously wild specs. If money were no issue, I'd probably try the NL Pure first. But the alpha prices seem prohibitive as I probably could buy a Meostar B1.1 and a used EDG for that pile of $$$.
Granted, there's no inherent value in owning several top binoculars, so buying the best of the best might be a wise route to take. Again, if money wasn't an issue...

The color is more neutral as compared to a 2012 Meostar 7X42 I have, however my perception of color may be different from yours regarding observation of slight color hues. CA is not something I am sensitive to, however the edge of field at the field stop has no color at all. What I like about them from an ergonomic perspective is that it a nice portable size, the weight not an issue to me at all and the FOV is just fine. It is much smaller than any of the newer premium 8X32s except the Leica UV. I will have them out this week end to view with them more.
I am a fan of the EDG also and the 8X32 is an exceptional glass if you appreciate the Nikon view, however I am not sure of their prices on the used market.

The SF has arguably some seriously wild specs. If money were no issue, I'd probably try the NL Pure first. But the alpha prices seem prohibitive as I probably could buy a Meostar B1.1 and a used EDG for that pile of $$$.
Granted, there's no inherent value in owning several top binoculars, so buying the best of the best might be a wise route to take. Again, if money wasn't an issue...
You have to make a fundamental decision, one or many.

Many opt for “many” because they believe that they “need” a different binocular for different “jobs”. I am not among those. Have the 8X 32 SF, and use it exclusively. There will always be a bird that will be just a bit too far away, or too well concealed, or too something, irrespective of which binocular(s) you have.

Buy the best and use it …. there will always be another bird. Even if you miss a lifer, you will probably survive, and in the end you will have likely spent less money.

I guess it is my view that it just depends on how obsessed you are.

PS. Never mind the specs, look through one. See line two below.

Last edited:
You have to make a fundamental decision, one or many.

Many opt for “many” because they believe that they “need” a different binocular for different “jobs”. I am not among those. Have the 8X 32 SF, and use it exclusively. There will always be a bird that will be just a bit too far away, or too well concealed, or too something, irrespective of which binocular(s) you have.

Buy the best and use it …. there will always be another bird. Even if you miss a lifer, you will probably survive, and in the end you will have likely spent less money.

I guess it is my view that it just depends on how obsessed you are.

PS. Never mind the specs, look through one. See line two below.
Absolutely right.

Lee

Seems I'm having problems with using the quote function.

Maljunolo, tenex:

Yes and no.
It's not so much about different 'jobs' in terms of distances or birds (like using a Genesis for terns because of its whitenesss rendition etc) but logistics. Remember, I'm always biking and need to choose carefully how much or little gear I should bring a given day. And the comfort of having one equipment at work because I work quite late and can't make it home one way, and then back and further away just to fetch the equipment.
It is also about weather issues and size of pockets on bikes.

It seems I'm fine with two sizes: 12x50 and 8x30/8x32.

The 12x50 is indispensable, and it actually poses no problems to bring when I want it.

The E II is my first choice if temperature and humidity allows. It can't be used with spectacles so I must use contacts, something I also prefer nowadays on outings. If it's risk for rain, better bring a waterproof roof bin. Won't let go of the E II.

The Kite's image is not quite as fantastic but some characteristics are shared with the E II. Very compact and easy to tuck into a jacket pocket, I don't use a strap with this one to avoid bulk and hassle. Only fault is, it also requires me using contact lenses.
So also a good backup to the E II if weather changes. Could be swapped for something similar but with good eye relief.
But not sure if there's any model of this type that's so much better that it could justify the expense. Not MHG, not CL, then what?

The Meostar, on the contrary, is clearly the best of the three with spectacles. Its infamous eyecups actually requires me using them.
Thus, they're a perfect complement to the E II for just crashing away with spectacles, like after work or when the remaining day is too short to waste a pair of one-day disposable contacts. My sample is bit out of collimation, but in a direction that doesn't pose a problem for me.
I lend it out to someone for an afternoon , and he made complaints. So, in real life I can't sell it as it's apparently made for me.

The EDG 7x42, probably completely redundant for me and represents some serious funds should I decide to sell it. But would need some refurbishment first as the hinge is loose (I have a Vortex Bino-Loc attached) and there's a tiny play in the knob.
Can't justify owning it, but it's my sole decision to keep it. Don't think there's a better binocular ever made so there's also this collector thing.

The Zen-Ray 7x43. It's a bit strange in some ways, and finding a prospective buyer is unlikely. In any case, it won't pay much.

So if I stretch out of the comfort zone, the Kite and the EDG could leave if I'm in desperate need of a fantastic new 8x32, and willing to pay more than twice what I paid for my Nikon ED82 A with three DS eyepieces.
Still seems the Meostar B1.1 is the feasible upgrade of the older Meostar, and then only because of colours. Or a sleek 8x30 with true alpha qualities. The 450 grams/30 mm models are certainly competent bins, but not yet approaching perfection like the best 8x32s.
The Meostar stands still in a world where even smaller 8x30 emerged, but the top notch 8x32s are a lot bigger.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back