• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One 8x3x to rule them all (1 Viewer)

All binoculars are a series of tradeoffs or compromises. The best binocular is the one with the set of compromises you can live with or prefer for your particular use. To me for birding, an 8x42 is a very good balance of attributes with few tradeoffs. Wide field of view, large exit pupil for brightness, good magnification with less shake, good size, good resolution. I prefer the better optical performance of the slightly heavier and larger 8x42 over the smaller and lighter 8x32. Alpha level binoculars really limit or minimize the tradeoffs one has to make and all are very good; I've looked through the best of the big 3. In my opinion, the swaro NL is the best I've ever looked through. So the perfect birding bin to me would be an NL in 8x42. Wished I could afford one. Alas, I compromised the slightly lower performance of the Conquest HD vs paying 3x more.

Last edited:
Still not decided upon the MHG 8x42. And while I believe it's altogether a better binocular than any 32 mm, it comes with a size penalty.
The best 32s with wide fields and good eye relief are not a lot smaller than the 8x42 MHG.

I still doubt the perfect 8x3x exists. A single most important property for me is eye relief with spectacles, since I have others that go well with my contact lenses.

And then, looking unprejudiced, I realise I've dismissed the Conquest HD. With three very favourable reviews (Piergiovanni, Arek, and Roger Vine), I feel it's a bargain. Wish it were a wee bit smaller and sleeker, but it's probably a better build than the MHG. And it can be had for way less than the Meostar B1 Plus that I'd possibly would have preferred.
It isn't the crème-de-la-crème of 8x32s, but can it really be faulted as a whole?

//L

This may be the end to the long thread. Luckily, I remained undecided whether to buy the Nikon MHG 8x42 or the Conquest HD 8x32, deep down knowing that all I asked for was a better Meostar 8x32. Prominent member HenRun offered his B1.1 and the rest is history.
I'm very happy with it. Colour reproduction is right in line with the E II and the EDG, which is perfectly to my taste.
With the E II as my top choice for fair-weather birding with contact lenses, the Meostar as its equal but with spectacles and/or rain, and finally the Kite Lynx HD 8x30 for contacts and rain, the three make up a perfect team. I doubt a single model would do it all as fine as these three, but if I'd have to sacrifice two, the Meostar would be the keeper. That said, the Kite is really impressive and I have decided to keep them all.

At times, I have doubts about keeping the EDG 7x42 because it sees too little use. Swapping it for cash or a MHG 8x42 sometimes tempts me, but then I just take a look through it and immediately know that the sheer thought of selling it is blasphemy.

Is this also not only the latest, but also the last binocular I'll buy? In fact, this is highly possible.

There are no more needs or niches to fill, only curiosity and boredom might cause a relapse. I'd love a black Nikon 7x15 CF, but can't see where and when I'd even use it. I'd probably be able to make room for a MHG 8x42 but it would just cannibalize where the field is already crowded. Now and then I'm told to buy a Swaro ATC, but I feel my ED50A with 27x Wide (and 40x Wide if desired) is too close in performance, and the ED82A beats the ATC for murky autumn afternoons. A double telescope like the 45 degree APM binoculars could be great fun when looking from my balcony...but only if it was given to me and I doubt it would happen. So, unlike some other posters, I'm not asking what to get next because this might simply. Be. The. End.

//L

Now and then I'm told to buy a Swaro ATC, but I feel my ED50A with 27x Wide (and 40x Wide if desired) is too close in performance, and the ED82A beats the ATC for murky autumn afternoons. <snip>
Same here. The ATC is nice, with that zoom and all that, but the ED50 isn't bad at all, and it's also lighter than the ATC. And like you I've already got it, including a good set of eyepieces.

But I think all users of one of the old Nikon Fieldscopes will have to recognize they live on borrowed time. If there's anything wrong with one of the eyepieces that are out of production or one of the 60mm, 78mm or 82mm bodies, Nikon won't repair it anymore as it's "obsolete". Sigh.
So, unlike some other posters, I'm not asking what to get next because this might simply. Be. The. End.
At least for now ... 😁 :cool:

Hermann

But I think all users of one of the old Nikon Fieldscopes will have to recognize they live on borrowed time. If there's anything wrong with one of the eyepieces that are out of production or one of the 60mm, 78mm or 82mm bodies, Nikon won't repair it anymore as it's "obsolete". Sigh.
Well I wonder about that. I'd guess the scope bodies are the more vulnerable to knocks and such, meaning in the long run there will be excess eyepieces available on the used market.
It is not quite like Kowa, where two eyepieces are hugely popular and sought after.
And conversely, new or used ED50 bodies don't seem too hard to source. Owners appear to hold on tight to their angled 60 and 78/82 bodies, though.

//L

Users who are viewing this thread

Back