• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ontario Canada (1 Viewer)

robinm

I am off for a family visit to Canada (Simcoe Ontario) in a couple of weeks and we will be doing some birding.

We already intend to visit Point Pelee but wondered if there are any other "must visit" sites.

Thanks.

Long Point is only a half hour from Simcoe ( I assume you mean the town, not the county) It is wonderful. Good for migrants, good marshland, the inner bay is great for waterfowl.

Townsend Sewage Lagoon is also within half an hour, a good spot for shorebirds.

Best of luck.

Long Point is only a half hour from Simcoe ( I assume you mean the town, not the county) It is wonderful. Good for migrants, good marshland, the inner bay is great for waterfowl.

Townsend Sewage Lagoon is also within half an hour, a good spot for shorebirds.

Best of luck.

Thanks. It wouldn't be a birding trip without a visit to a rubbish tip and/or a sewage works ;) I even managed both in Bhutan this year!

Thanks Larry. It'll be my first ever birding in America. Trying to do some preparation.

My sister-in-law gets Belted Kingfisher and Great Blue Heron in her garden - plus others.

Robin, I think you will have a very exciting time during your visit. You should see a lot of wonderful birds. A lot of our wood warblers nest in the area you will be visiting and they should still be some around at the time of your visit. Most, if not all of them, will be getting ready to migrate to warmer climes before very long though!

Have a great time!

A well-known photographer once told me that there was a place not far from Point Pelee which was even better for migrants. Trouble is, I can't remember what it was. Does anyone here know? I don't think it'll be much use to Robin though, I think it was mainly a spring site.

I visited Ontario last year and Rondeau Provincial Park is between Pelee and Long Point and one not to miss. Hairy, Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers plus White-breasted Nuthatch and others at the feeders there with Prothonatory Warbler and Northern Waterthrush on the trails. Long Point is also great as previously mentioned.

Many thanks to all who offered ideas.

We had a great time and visited many of the places above. Point Pelee was particularly good. The sewage ponds were good too - once we had ignored the "No Trespassing" signs ;)

For anyone going that way Backus Park is also good and further afield the Toronto islands.

When I get myself organised I will post some photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back