• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Aurora VHD 8x42 - Focusing wheel? (1 Viewer)

dougan

My pair arrived yesterday, ex-display from a photography shop.
Had a quick look last night, very impressed with the build quality and feel, not had a chance to look through them outside yet.

How stiff should the focusing wheel be? On these it seems very stiff, and on the last quarter of a turn gets stiffer still.
Also, there is an audible noise when focussing, should the focussing be silent?

I will compare them with my Hawke Frontiers, from memory the Hawkes focusing wheel is very smooth and easy to turn, and also silent in operation.

I did get these at a decent price, so it would be a shame if I had to return them.

Just send them to Opticron under warranty if they don't free up with use. Rotate the wheel a few times every day for a week. If it ls still an issue then send them off.

QC from Opticron leaves a lot to be desired. I’ve only owned one pair that didn’t have something wrong with them. Pity because the optics have been pretty good.

Had a chance to have a better look today. The focus wheel still feels a little stiff to me, and there is a certain point in focussing where there is a definitely a tight spot, the same place every time.
I had my Hawke ED Frontiers for comparison, and the focussing on them was far superior, so I presume I may have a faulty pair.
To be honest, comparing them side by side, there was not a lot of difference between them. Either the Hawkes are very good, or my eyesight is that bad I cannot recognise better quality!
I have asked to return them.

I also bought an ex-display pair of 8x42s (£600). Like you, I was not happy with the focusing, which was stiff, with a very small amount of play, although mine didn't make any noise. Despite being made in Japan, probably by Kamakura, the left exit pupil was noticeably truncated, which was disappointing at this price - similar to Zeiss' Conquest HDs. I felt that the view was good but not outstanding. I also thought that they looked quite cheap, so returned them.

I also bought an ex-display pair of 8x42s (£600). Like you, I was not happy with the focusing, which was stiff, with a very small amount of play, although mine didn't make any noise. Despite being made in Japan, probably by Kamakura, the left exit pupil was noticeably truncated, which was disappointing at this price - similar to Zeiss' Conquest HDs. I felt that the view was good but not outstanding. I also thought that they looked quite cheap, so returned them.
Possibly the same pair??

Hi Dougan.

I did wonder that as well ! I received mine on 28th March from thephotographyshop on eBay. I was really looking forward to getting them but was disappointed in the end. If the focusing was better and the exit pupil fully rounded, then I would have probably kept them. Kamakura seem to make the Zeiss Conquest HD, which I have found also suffers from truncated exit pupils, although the focusing is usually better.

Same place as mine came from!
Apart from the focussing issue, I couldn't see much difference between them and my £300 Hawkes!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back