• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ordered 10x42 Conquest HD (Again) (1 Viewer)

UTGrad

United States
After owning and selling Victory SF and Swaro ELs over the past year, I’m heading back to the Conquest HDs.

Alpha glass holds it resale value well so when life takes turns or a new project comes about, it’s easy to part with alphas knowing you can come back.

The Conquests have suited me very well in the past and after owning alphas, don’t feel I’ll be missing out too much with the Conquests.

The 8x32s are a wonder. I had the 8x42s and the eyecups were miserable for proper eye placement even after Zeiss sent replacements of a newer version. Maybe the 10x42s are better. A shame you have to sell better bins off and go backwards a step. IMO, you buy what you can afford to KEEP.

The 8x32s are a wonder. I had the 8x42s and the eyecups were miserable for proper eye placement even after Zeiss sent replacements of a newer version. Maybe the 10x42s are better. A shame you have to sell better bins off and go backwards a step. IMO, you buy what you can afford to KEEP.

I’ll probably get NL Pures soon.

Hint: some people go on ignore quickly like the guy from ND did some years ago. It's a good strategy to make this place more pleasant and useful.

After owning and selling Victory SF and Swaro ELs over the past year, I’m heading back to the Conquest HDs.

Alpha glass holds it resale value well so when life takes turns or a new project comes about, it’s easy to part with alphas knowing you can come back.

The Conquests have suited me very well in the past and after owning alphas, don’t feel I’ll be missing out too much with the Conquests.
Quite honestly, the Conquest HDs, especially the 8X32 and 10X42s are hard to beat in their class for the money. Nice choice!

Loving the secondhand 8x32 conquest I found recently, the view is just so engaging. Bit narrower than I am used to, but it doesn’t seem to matter. Hate the eyecups, but they work and then the view makes it all worth it. Maybe there is “better” out there, but the itch to find it is very weak now.

Peter

Loving the secondhand 8x32 conquest I found recently, the view is just so engaging. Bit narrower than I am used to, but it doesn’t seem to matter. Hate the eyecups, but they work and then the view makes it all worth it. Maybe there is “better” out there, but the itch to find it is very weak now.

Peter
I compared my 8x32 Conquest HDs to almost all other contemporary alpha class 8x32's. Were there some differences? Yes but not enough for me to upgrade. Matter of fact, not even close to get just a few percentage points of improvement (chromatic aberration, color clarity, etc.)

Something to consider.
The Canon 10x42ISL is in the same $1000-1500 price range, also alpha optics and fully waterproof, but with image stabilization.
Measly warranty and brick like ergonomics, but a superior viewing experience.

Got my 10x42s in yesterday and did a brief viewing this morning out the back deck at the golf course here in Tennessee US (all Jack Daniels is distilled an hour drive away).

I’m reminded why the Conquest 10x42s are the “Goldilocks” of binos for me. For $1K I get an ergonomically sound pair of binos with almost no chromatic aberration, sharp images, wide FOV for its class and icy, cool color renditions. The price to performance ratio is high with the Conquests and only the advanced optics owner can appreciate the subtle differences of alphas.

IMG_9545.jpeg

@UTGrad - Jeez, that could be right here in the UK. You can see why performance against glare may not be such a high priority here as for folks that have to contend with bright sun and snow cover. Brightness (or perceived brightness), on the other hand...

@UTGrad - Jeez, that could be right here in the UK. You can see why performance against glare may not be such a high priority here as for folks that have to contend with bright sun and snow cover. Brightness (or perceived brightness), on the other hand...

Oh we have lots of bright sun and clear skies. High pressure can set up have and gave several days of sunshine. With that said, glare has never been a big concern with a previous pair of Conquests.

I am also growing disgruntled with "alpha"......the most expensive binocular is often not the best one for actual birding in my experience....in fact, most of the most-expensive binos are something I would not use at all! I've only got one pair of them and they drive me crazy :)

The pair of ELs I owned were very very nice. I will say the focus was a bit slow when quickly moving between far and near. The Conquests have a faster focus which I like BUT….the ELs are easier to really get perfect focus if time permits.

I used to pride myself on being able to focus the binoculars as I lifted them up, and returned to a default distance/position as I lowered them. it was surprisingly easy with practice.
However, these fast focussing binoculars I don't think I stand a chance!

I am also growing disgruntled with "alpha"......the most expensive binocular is often not the best one for actual birding in my experience....in fact, most of the most-expensive binos are something I would not use at all! I've only got one pair of them and they drive me crazy :)
Very interesting. Could you elaborate a little, please.
Anything that really bugs someone usually also irritates others, even if they are can't quite put their finger on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back