• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Our amazing afternoon. (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
Yesterday, I noticed a long tailed tit at the bottom of the garden, so I called Malcolm away from his computer in the next room, to come and have a look.

We both watched the garden for the next 30 minutes or so - and the count was:

10 bluetits, 2 goldcrests (only seen a singleton here before) , 2 LTTs, a wren and a nuthatch (usually seen regularly throughout the year, but not very often in the last few weeks). There were a few other birds around too, but these were the ones we were particularly pleased to see.

It was a bright sunny day - and I have often noticed that the birds seem more active at these times. Sadly today has been dull and sometimes drizzly, and we didn't get a repeat performance. :C

Well done Elizabeth, the LTT is a bird we would love to get in our garden as well but alas no. And Goldcrest & Nuthatch as well you lucky person.

I might still be turning up on your doorstep one day to sit in your garden

Last edited:
Elizabeth Bigg said:
Yesterday, I noticed a long tailed tit at the bottom of the garden, so I called Malcolm away from his computer in the next room, to come and have a look.

10 bluetits, 2 goldcrests (only seen a singleton here before) , 2 LTTs, a wren and a nuthatch (usually seen regularly throughout the year, but not very often in the last few weeks). There were a few other birds around too, but these were the ones we were particularly pleased to see.

It was a bright sunny day - and I have often noticed that the birds seem more active at these times. Sadly today has been dull and sometimes drizzly, and we didn't get a repeat performance. :C
Goldcrests, what a garden bird to have, they do associate with tits in winter. And a nuthatch, you are getting the cream at the moment EB, but those LTTs really are the iceing on the cake. And we thought we were doing well when my wife said the 2 goldfinches were back! Good luck who knows what next :eek!:
bert.

Am I allowed to mention EB that there were 2 Goldcrests availing themselves of your water feature when I popped into see Fluffy last May?

pduxon said:
Am I allowed to mention EB that there were 2 Goldcrests availing themselves of your water feature when I popped into see Fluffy last May?

Are you sure there were two? I'll have to check back in my records, because I remember only one on that day! (Perhaps I was overcome by the honour of your presence)!!!!

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Are you sure there were two? I'll have to check back in my records, because I remember only one on that day! (Perhaps I was overcome by the honour of your presence)!!!!

I could be wrong..... I remember there being Goldcrest and being horribly jealous!!

pduxon said:
I could be wrong..... I remember there being Goldcrest and being horribly jealous!!

Just checked on the BTO site (easier than digging out my own records) - and I have recorded only one. Was it a lifer, or more likely a "year tick"? Surely you get extra credit for seeing it in our presence though?

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Just checked on the BTO site (easier than digging out my own records) - and I have recorded only one. Was it a lifer, or more likely a "year tick"? Surely you get extra credit for seeing it in our presence though?

neither. Lovely garden bird though.

Wow, Nuthatch - only every seen one once in forest, great bird to have visiting the garden - yeah today looks horrible and wet too (would be it's my day off and I was looking forward to sitting in conservatory and watching the action !)

That's not fair - wren, LTT, goldcrest AND nuthatch!

We only ever get the occasional small flock of LTT, never had any of the others.

Your garden is obviously a great bird magnet EB, but I do think there should be rules about how many good ones you can have in half an hour ;)

Benjismum said:
That's not fair - wren, LTT, goldcrest AND nuthatch!

We only ever get the occasional small flock of LTT, never had any of the others.

Your garden is obviously a great bird magnet EB, but I do think there should be rules about how many good ones you can have in half an hour ;)

she'll be mentioning the 72 siskin a Redpoll oh and a Brambling in a minute!!

I just hope Malc can cope with two 57 seater bus loads, better get the kettle on.
all the best to bigonline

walt-m said:
I just hope Malc can cope with two 57 seater bus loads, better get the kettle on.
all the best to bigonline

Malcolm does the techie stuff - Elizabeth puts the kettle on (like Polly) - but she's not sure what to do next! Please note - no diminutives here!!!

BTW - it's: biggonline!!!

Apologies here - I've had a hard day - feeling stroppy just now! :eek!:

Elizabeth Bigg said:

That sounds great to me Elizabeth! I have only ever seen a Nuthatch(s) once, and that was at the feeding station in the Lake Vrynwy rspb reserve. I am not sure, but we may have seen a Goldcrest at Belvide, but it's 50-50. To see them in the garden would be a real treat! Our garden is a little quiet still.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back