• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Overpriced binoculars (1 Viewer)

mgsphilip

Today I visited a sports optics dealer in Bloomsbury, Central London. He informed me that he had stopped selling Leica binoculars because they had increased in price and were now overpriced. He showed me the latest Zeiss binoculars with improved glass lenses. They were beautifully engineered and had a stunning performance and were substantially cheaper than their red labelled competitors. They were in every way superior to their equivalent Leica 8x20 binoculars.

Considering the state of the world economy, is this the time for Leica to increase their prices?

NB
I own a secondhand pair of 8x40 Leitz Trinovid binoculars that are approximately 40 years old. If Leica produced a quality replica of these iconic optics with modern coatings and glass they could really boost their sales.

sounds fishy to me-maybe the dealer lost the rights to sell Leica

and are they not all overpriced?
I do not know that Leica is more overpriced than Zeiss, SW, and all/most of the others?

edj

prices from orniwelt, one of the bigger German online shops:

Leica Ultravid HD 8x42: 1.800 EUR
Zeiss Victory HT 8x42: 1.945 EUR
Swarovski EL SV 8x42: 2.034 EUR

Leica Ultravid HD 8x32: 1.620 EUR
Zeiss Victory FL 8x32: 1.615 EUR
Swarovski EL SV 8x32: 1.674 EUR

As for the compacts (8x20): yes, Leica is the most expensive, but also clearly the best, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I own a secondhand pair of 8x40 Leitz Trinovid binoculars that are approximately 40 years old. If Leica produced a quality replica of these iconic optics with modern coatings and glass they could really boost their sales.
This probably be should be another thread but those 1st generation Trinovids upgraded with dielectric mirror coatings, phase coatings and multi-coated anti-reflective coated optics would be knock-outs. And weatherproofed to current standards without significantly increasing weight, profile and ergonomics which I think would be possible. Cost? I don't see why they should be any more expensive than current models. Mechanically and optically as far as # of optical elements go they're not very complicated binoculars. The only tricky part may be the precision required in assembling/bonding the prism unit.

There is actually a new Trinovid, although externally it looks more than the Ultravids than the old Trinos. Cheaper than the current Ultravids though, and the few reports I have seen are rather positive.

First you have to define what is meant by 'overpriced'.

Do you mean the company is making too much profit? Well, first how do you know, and second, define 'too much'.

Slightly different (but only slightly) do you mean that you do not get what you pay for in that the costs to produce the bins are modest and the retail price outrageous? Well, how do you know and then define 'modest' and 'outrageous'.

Do you mean that there are bins available with the same performance at a cheaper price? Define 'same performance' and be sure to include all parameters including longevity (of the bins, not yourself) in the definition.

Do you mean that the same bins or similar were much cheaper 10 years ago? Wake up to inflation and the result of China consuming the world's resources and pushing up the prices of raw materials.

Do you just mean that if a pair of decent bins can be sold for 600 £/$/€ then one on sale at 1600 £/$/€ is by definition overpriced? Well then you have just invented a choice-averse culture and doomed us all to eating the same cheese / driving the same cars / drinking the same wine: but all available at very reasonable prices.

Its easy to mutter the word 'overpriced'. Its not as easy to define this and suggest an alternative to a range of prices from cheap to ultra expensive from which we can choose a level that we are prepared to do business at.

Lee

From the originator of this thread

I was quoting from the retailer who called Leica binoculars "overpriced". I was surprised to hear this from a seller with a shop well stocked with top of the range cameras and binoculars. Quite possibly he was not happy with the margins that his firm was offered by Leica.

I am not questioning the right of any firm to offer goods for sale at whatever price they want. I would be sad to see any manufacturer of top quality optics "go under" in the present world economic climate.

I also understand the great pleasure that consumers can get from buying "state of the art" optics.

................ I wonder how many people would argue they are overpaid?

I am sure that most of the CEOs with very high pay would argue that it is well deserved,
but wonder how many people working for them would agree?

but is a 1-2% improvement with 50% increase in cost reasonable?

edj

I am sure that most of the CEOs with very high pay would argue that it is well deserved,
but wonder how many people working for them would agree?

but is a 1-2% improvement with 50% increase in cost reasonable?

edj
It's not 1-2% to me and I would have seriously regretted not purchasing the best I can afford. I wish a $400 model did the job, but for me they don't even come close.

I was quoting from the retailer who called Leica binoculars "overpriced". I was surprised to hear this from a seller with a shop well stocked with top of the range cameras and binoculars. Quite possibly he was not happy with the margins that his firm was offered by Leica.

I am not questioning the right of any firm to offer goods for sale at whatever price they want. I would be sad to see any manufacturer of top quality optics "go under" in the present world economic climate.

I also understand the great pleasure that consumers can get from buying "state of the art" optics.

Philip

Good gracious I hope you didn't think I was 'getting' at you. Certainly not. I was just posing questions that sprang to mind when I read your post.

I agree with edj that its hard to imagine a Leica dealer saying 'these are getting a bit pricey - I've had enough of this, I'm off!'. More likely they got the boot by Leica.

Lee

Hmmm. But you have to juggle with those double hinges.

Zeiss Victory Compact handles better.

Lee

Not with the Ultravid you don't. The hinges stay where you want them. It is in my opinion the only one with a decent focuser.

I tried them all, no one was near as good, ergonomically. Optically they are about the same (Leica, Zeiss, Nikon and Swarovski). In my opinion...:cat:

There seems to be a theory in birding, particularly to newcomers, that the more you pay for your optics the better a birder you will be. You can see that by the amount of beginners who are using top of the range optics.
Personally I think a lot of optics are overpriced, and the increase in prices seemed to come over a short period of time.
I doubt if I would ever consider buying Leica or Swarovski, I've managed quite well without them for the past 28 years, but its down to personal choice.

Not with the Ultravid you don't. The hinges stay where you want them. It is in my opinion the only one with a decent focuser.

I tried them all, no one was near as good, ergonomically. Optically they are about the same (Leica, Zeiss, Nikon and Swarovski). In my opinion...:cat:

Hej VOP

After that recommendation I must try them.

Have you ever been to Store Mosse? Had some good days there looking for birds and trollslaendor when I used to work for Forsheda AB. But I suppose you have just as good places closer to you.

Adjo

Lee

There seems to be a theory in birding, particularly to newcomers, that the more you pay for your optics the better a birder you will be. You can see that by the amount of beginners who are using top of the range optics.
Personally I think a lot of optics are overpriced, and the increase in prices seemed to come over a short period of time.
I doubt if I would ever consider buying Leica or Swarovski, I've managed quite well without them for the past 28 years, but its down to personal choice.

Hi Steve

But how do you define overpriced?

Lee

Hi Lee!

No, I've never been to Store Mosse. I mostly bird in Uppland and Öland (I have relatives there, so I go there now and then), I hate driving around to much.

If one is in need of a compact, and isn't susceptible to imagining an "alfa" boost to ones birding skills;), the Ultravids are definitely to be tried.

Cheers!

P. s.
I for one believe that, no matter how much you pay for your binos, the ones that are best (for you) ergonomically, optically and mechanically will help the most when birding, by some mystical brand magic or not.

Last edited:

Hi Steve, while I think there is some truth in what you say about some novice birders believing they will be better at the hobby if they buy the most expensive optics I think in most cases people ,including myself, will pay out for the best optics they can afford in order to get the clearest, brightest, sharpest colour accurate view they can. This makes it not only easier to identify birds but makes the whole experience more enjoyable. I have recently upgraded my trusty 30 yr old Nikon scope to a much newer Leica model and a few years back I switched from budget opticron bins to swarovski els. It's just my opinion but for me the whole birding experience is so much more enjoyable as a result.
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back