• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Palenque and Cozumel, Mexico (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I will be travelling to Mexico in about a weeks time for a birding trip encompassing the Yucutan Peninsula and some sites in Chiapas.

I have heard some reports that there are now restrictions on access to the best birding areas at Palenque archaeological site, and possibly some security issues at this site (along the access road). Does anybody have any up-to-date info on the situation here?

We had until recently been planning to finish the trip with a visit to Cozumel, but several recent reports have made reference to the very difficult birding here post-Wilma, and indeed the apparent total absence of the endemic Cozumel Emerald. Has anybody got any info from the last couple of months?

Other sites we are planning to visit include Felipe Carillo Puerto, Rio Lagartos, Calakmul, Usumacinta Marshes, the San Cristobal Area, Sumidero Canyon and Tuxtla Zoo. Any recent birding info and/or advice on security issues at these sites would also be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Richard

Richard,
I don't have any real recent info on Mexico. We left in late 2004. Palenque was one of my favorite birding areas. One of the main birding trails has been closed now for several years, but I wouldn't let this discourage you. Lots of good areas still open. Some of the sites outside of Palenque referenced by Howell in his Bird-finding Guide to Mexico have been deforested considerably since the writing, but still lots of good areas left.

You can do a search of posts created by user name "Dave B Smith" and title "Mexico" and find a number of brief trip reports similar to this one from Palenque . There are reports on several of the areas you've mentioned.

Hopefully you'll get some more up to date info here shortly. Hope you have a great trip.

cozumel???

if it is of any interest the trendy tropical paradise that is Isla Mujures is reported to be less of a barren featureless desert than post-wilma cozumel.......and is good for Kildeer ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back