• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paphos this am any ideas? (1 Viewer)

Thanks guys!….an “expert” told me that it was a common Blunt-nosed Viper in a very matter of fact way, and that the bite was fatal with circa 30-40 fatalities each year.
(wonder if he offers advice on BF?)

Needless to say from there on in…I continued my “hunting” on stoney paths, avoiding the long grass on his recommendation!😮

He clearly had a sense of humour/stringy..Bastard!

Blunt-nosed Viper is no doubt a potent snake but I doubt there are that many fatalities per year in Cyprus. They are quite a different looking beast being an ambush predator.

According to a study in the Journal of Occupational Medicine and Toxicology an average of 40 people are hospitalised after being bitten by venomous snakes (i.e. Blunt-nosed Viper) in Cyprus each year. Very few fatalities though - between 2000 and 2018 there were just two deaths, a man of 73 and a woman aged 77.

Chris

Blunt-nosed Viper is no doubt a potent snake but I doubt there are that many fatalities per year in Cyprus. They are quite a different looking beast being an ambush predator.

Attachments

• Blunt-nosed Viper cy 1.jpg
    Blunt-nosed Viper cy 1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Blunt-nosed Viper cy 3.jpg
    Blunt-nosed Viper cy 3.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Blunt-nosed Viper cy 2.jpg
    Blunt-nosed Viper cy 2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 14
Thanks guys!….an “expert” told me that it was a common Blunt-nosed Viper in a very matter of fact way, and that the bite was fatal with circa 30-40 fatalities each year.

Needless to say from there on in…I continued my “hunting” on stoney paths, avoiding the long grass on his recommendation!😮

I was on a walk last Saturday with other Birdlife Cyprus members and one of them, Peter was bitten by a very big B-n V, through his golf shoe a couple of years ago. The tissue damage to his foot, was still, very apparent all this time later.

Peter told me that he'd seen official bite stats for Cyprus and whilst there are few fatalities annually, the published numbers are deliberately, kept low, for the fear of putting off holidaymakers. I think I recall that the paper which Peter saw, reported 76 bites for that year but most, were suffered by agricultural workers, none fatal I don't think.

I certainly am always wary about going off trails in to long grass or bushes, the Viper is very common and the risk of bites is a real one. Always be aware that you may encounter a snake but don't let it ruin your visit.

Last edited:

Earlier this month, an unfortunate holiday maker from Shropshire was bitten by a Blunt-nosed Viper in the grounds of her Paphos hotel, she spent 4 days in the hospital ICU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back