• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

peep help please, S Manitoba, July 26, 2023 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

These photos, all of the same bird, were taken at Delta Marsh Beach, Southern Manitoba, July 26, 2023. The rufous body colours, faintish breast band and I think a shortish bill suggest to me a Least Sandpiper, but the legs I believe are the wrong colour. The leg colour, rufous body colour suggest Western to me, but then the bill seems to short. Or maybe it is a Baird's, which would be quite rare for this location I believe?
Clearly, I do not have a clue:), hence my request for ID help, via comments, advice, corrections etc.
Thank you in advance.
steve

Attachments

• DSCN4736.JPG
    DSCN4736.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 56
  • DSCN4737.JPG
    DSCN4737.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 54
  • DSCN4738.JPG
    DSCN4738.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 47
  • DSCN4740.JPG
    DSCN4740.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 45
  • DSCN4742.JPG
    DSCN4742.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 59
Thank you Andrew, to my rather bad eyes they seemed greenish, but I am glad they seem yellowish to others with better eyesight. Colours are not always my thing, so to speak.
Again, much appreciated.
steve

Apart from the bill being straight rather than slightly drooped, it's the right shape and length for least sandpiper. Given the dullness of the yellowish legs, and the bright all-fresh plumage, I assume it's juvenile (haven't looked at a book to check if the plumage matches I'm afraid).

Thank you Butty. I had been wondering if that was considered a thick or fine bill as per Sibley. And I believe you are right in suggesting juvenile, as Sibley does mention that juv. have bright plummage.
thank you again
steve

Greenish, Yellowish. Both true. (I lean green)
But a perfectly fine color for Least Sandpiper. (All?) other contenders show black legs/feet.

Thanks Indobirder, I went back over my guide and realized I had misread it a bit and, as you point out, missed the green part of the description of the legs. Most helpful
steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back