• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Philippine Eagle (1 Viewer)

Glimmer

Hi there!

I´m planning a visit to Philippines and I´m wondering trying the superb Philippine Eagle.

Any of you has gone for it? Any guide for this? Is any nest visitable active? Where can I get some info about this?

Thanks!

As some general background, the species is present on Luzon, Leyte, Samar and Mindanao, with the latter hosting the largest population. The most reliable area seems to be within Mount Kitanglad NP, though specific locations are unlikely (and shouldn't) be shared publicly due to the species status and threats associated. Some companies eg Bird Tour Asia offer trips to see the species, no idea how likely or even if it is possible to see the species independently though - this link may be helpful however.
One day I'll make it to Mindanao...

I suggest - try contacting some guiding companies from Philippines.

There was a classic regularly visited nest at Mount Klingonland but because of the progressing forest clearance the birds finally abandoned it few years ago. There is now a talk of a another, unreliable nest.

I have contacted with a local guide, and there's a visitable recent nest in Mindanao, but the egg hasn't hatch, so it's possible the adults will try it again, or not...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back