• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phoenix, Arizona, USA Hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

dan8402

Hi Everyone, hopefully I can get some help with my first post. I took some pictures of some Hummingbirds in Phoenix Arizona in May of this year and I'm not really good with identifying them. We one usually have Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds here in Ohio. So, any help would be appreciated.

Please let me know if the pictures aren't large enough and I'll try again.

Dan

Attachments

• DSC_1332.jpg
    DSC_1332.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_1836.jpg
    DSC_1836.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_1837.jpg
    DSC_1837.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_1865.jpg
    DSC_1865.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN1760.jpg
    DSCN1760.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 100
Hi Dan,
Welcome to Bird Forum.
Can't see photo number 5 very well, but 1-4 look like Black-chinned Hummers to me.
Sue

Agree with Sue, 1 - 4 are Black-chinned basing id on the size of gorget and "color" on throat, 5 is female or juvenile can't tell much other than that.

Hi Everyone, hopefully I can get some help with my first post. I took some pictures of some Hummingbirds in Phoenix Arizona in May of this year and I'm not really good with identifying them. We one usually have Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds here in Ohio. So, any help would be appreciated.

Please let me know if the pictures aren't large enough and I'll try again.

Dan

I'd need to see a larger version of all of them to be sure, but I didn't think any of these look like black-chinned hummingbirds.

In these shots, some look like Anna's (probably male, maybe immature?) and some appear to be Costa's (probably immature male, but possibly female).

Got bigger ones? Thanks.

I'll see what I can do about getting the pictures bigger. They look fine on my computer, but when I upload them, they get smaller.

Bigger photos are making me change my mind about them being Black-chinned. Going to leave it to better experts than me.

Bigger photos are making me change my mind about them being Black-chinned. Going to leave it to better experts than me.

At this size and resolution, they all look more like immature male Anna's -- except for one of them (4th pic)which somehow looks more like a juvenile male Costa's to me. (And the one in the first pic could very well be a female Anna's --or a different species altogether.)

I'd need to see bigger, closer-up pics with more color and detail to know for sure, so I'll leave positive IDs to our more experienced experts too.

Thank you for sharing your photos -- and a belated "welcome" from Tucson!

Last edited:
Hi All,
It is difficult with such small photos, it's difficult with photos anyway! To me, the first photo shows wing length to be too long for Anna's. I don't like the bill length in the photos for Black-chinned, but thought maybe angle? Wish I could see photo 4 better. Sorry if I leaped too quickly Dan.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back