• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photo editing workflow (1 Viewer)

MiddleRiver

United States
Not sure where to post this... but what is your workflow?
Currently using LR6 and contemplating purchase of Topaz plug-ins for denoise etc. Wondering what others are doing...

I use ACDSee and I have not seen a plug in yet that truly improves my result. Starting from a raw image:
Open in the develop section. Do
-cropping
-noise reduction for higher iso images
-sharpening with the mask being an important way to reduce application outside of the in focus areas
-tone-curves and vibrancy, and possibly a couple of others such as dehaze or lightning equalizer
Save and switch to Edit (pixel level) (if several images need similar treatment then batch edit can do the trick)
-resize
-post-resize sharpening (again stressing the mask)
-add my signature
Flatten and save

In total usually about 3 minutes. The mask in sharpening is a slider, not one where you need to paint in areas yourself (in edit mode you can do those as well). The idea with the built slider is that when not applying sharpening outside of the areas you really need it, you don't exaggerate the noise.
Niels

I used ACDSee ages ago... will have to look at it again. Do you like their NR features? I find that LR6 (newer may have improved) NR is lacking.

I used ACDSee ages ago... will have to look at it again. Do you like their NR features? I find that LR6 (newer may have improved) NR is lacking.
Noise reduction has improved in later years. I did test some of the plugins about a year ago and did not find improvements over what I could do in ACDSee. I happened across a review trying to compare with LR when using default settings and found ACDSee lacking -- I never use default settings.
Niels

Noise reduction has improved in later years. I did test some of the plugins about a year ago and did not find improvements over what I could do in ACDSee. I happened across a review trying to compare with LR when using default settings and found ACDSee lacking -- I never use default settings.
Niels
Are you saying that the noise reduction in ACDSee is as good as Topaz DeNoise?

Are you saying that the noise reduction in ACDSee is as good as Topaz DeNoise?
I say that I could not get it to function better for me. There is still the possibility that I didn’t figure out how to get the most out of the plug-in.
Niels

What matters is what works for an individual. If folk get what they want from a particular product then I see nothing wrong with their recommendations. The article you linked to is a typical listicle full of affiliate links. GIMP isn't even mentioned because it's free and they won't get any payback!

When people ask for recommendations they want advice. Good advice. The OP is already using a very good package in LR6. Bad or inaccurate advice is not helping them.
Topaz DeNoise is a phenomenal product and is NOT just a plug in. It’s also a standalone package. I use it on nearly every image I shoot.

For comparison: here is an iso 4000 image done with ACDSee. If you go pixel peeping you might find some noise, I do not know -- but it is an image I like.
Niels

Acdsee is "BEST FOR ALL-IN-ONE IMAGE EDITING"

Everyone has their faves, I use Photoshop CS5, 12 years old and still does what I want I to.

Acdsee is "BEST FOR ALL-IN-ONE IMAGE EDITING"

Everyone has their faves, I use Photoshop CS5, 12 years old and still does what I want I to.
If you believe that then you keep on using it. When the OP is already using a far superior product in LR6 and is asking for a good noise reduction package ACDSee is not even in the same ballpark. Yes I know you never said ACDSee is better, I get it, that just proves you did not use Topaz DeNoise correctly. FYI, it 3 clicks, Standard, Select Auto in Model Preferences and Save Image.

If you believe that then you keep on using it. When the OP is already using a far superior product in LR6 and is asking for a good noise reduction package ACDSee is not even in the same ballpark. Yes I know you never said ACDSee is better, I get it, that just proves you did not use Topaz DeNoise correctly. FYI, it 3 clicks, Standard, Select Auto in Model Preferences and Save Image.
Well, you are certainly in love with the plugin. For your information, the first sentence in the OP post was: What is your workflow. That is what I started out answering.
Niels

Mike, I have not said anything about ACDSee or DeNoise. I last used ACDSee about 2005 and have never used DeNoise or any Topaz product.

If a member asks for advice, then by all means offer it. I don't see the utility in criticism of the advice of others particularly of a product you have never used.

The OP was about workflow, if you would care to share yours it might add to the conversation.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back