• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pied Wagtail Roost (1 Viewer)

I remember a big roost in the car park at Exeter services back in the 1980's. Always used to see them sat there piled up on the trees planted between the rows of cars when on my way to Cornwall or Scilly. I've seen them in supoermarket car parks at various places too.

The tree roosts I've seen have always been in young deciduous trees about 15-20 foot high. I imagine they need thin branches to grip and when the trees grow too large they move on. Interesting that these are all close to human habitation, might it be the good feeding from assorted crumbs that are left by us?

I always remember pied wags descending on my school playground after lunchtime feeding on the spilt crisps and biscuits.

Anybody know of any big tree roosts away from human habitation? The big roosts in non-urban areas have always been in reedbeds in my experience.

Once half a year more in than out of Nevill Hall Hospital in Abergavenny after braking my leg and arm, both in rather spectacular fashion. Remember a big roost of Pied Wagtails there in a central courtyard, the highlight of a trip between x-ray and the resetting room!

Anybody know of any big tree roosts away from human habitation? The big roosts in non-urban areas have always been in reedbeds in my experience.

White Wagatils, strictly summer visitors out here, have a traditional roost at one place here also known for roosting cranes - up to 5500 Cranes roost one side, and several thousand wagtails in reeds on the other.

Wasn't the biggest Pied Wagtail roost in Newton Abbot, Devon? I can't remember the numbers, but it was a hell of a lot. I remember seeing a good few hundred in Camberley outside the shopping centre and also spending several hours a day just looking at a flock of maybe 200 over Frimley Park Hospital when they kicked all the new dads out for mother's nap time.
We get maybe 150 White Wagtails roosting almost in the city centre in Bern in the Winter, but I've only seen them once this year. They get very excited about Pied Wagtails here. The Swiss records committee just accepted the 9th and 10th records for Switzerland.

Update:

27/11/08

I checked on them a bit later today. It was 17:00 . It was raining but they were still in the same location. It looks like once they choose the roost they really stay put. The trees offered a little shelter from the rain. One thing I noted about them were that none of them were huddled together inspite of the chiiling temperature (<6 degrees). There seemed to be atleast half a foot distance between each bird. I suppose that confirms the fact that all the early bickering could be over choosing a good location. When I left they were absolutely still.

Well I managed to get back to this roost today with the camera. At 4:30 there were only a few birds zipping about. By 5:00 they had all settled down to roost. I had a count up so far as is possible and I reckon there are at least 600, probably a lot more. A few poor pictures: in the first picture each white dot represents a pied wag. The second pictures shows the density. A few of the Christmas shoppers were actually taking notice tonight. A particularly nice moment was when a woman with her two young children stopped to look. I told her what they were and explained to the kids that they'd come in to roost for the night. The little boy asked if they were going to bed. Nice.

Attachments

• IMG_7121a resized.jpg
    IMG_7121a resized.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7129a resize.jpg
    IMG_7129a resize.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 80
What a sight to see! Hope you had your brolly up, Joanne!

Good to hear that a few shoppers had time to take some notice of the Wagtails!

Great pics, thanks!:t:

I go to TW fairly often but always in the morning, I will have to pay a visit at dusk now.

joannec, is the roost in the same street as Starbucks and Waterstones?

There is a small Pied Wagtail roost in Wimbledon, in some small London planes outside Tesco Metro, havn't visited it this year but last December it held c150birds at it's peak; I also remember a drunken weekend in Dublin B :) in the late 70s,there were hundreds roosting in small trees along the Liffey by O'Connell bridge, is this roost still active?

Nick

An article on the net about Pied Wagtail roosting;

http://www.birdsofbritain.co.uk/bird-guide/pied-wagtail.asp

I must admit I wasn't aware of a count of 5,000 in September from Grove/Stodmarsh. It seems very high especially for September, but I should be able to find it on the KOS CD ... if I can be bothered to plough through all the annuam reports that is!

John

This is where I read about it - not the primary source, but it was on the internet, so it must be true!! Note it was my interpretation/bad memory that actually placed the birds at a more specific location . . . chinese wagtail whispers anyone?? Oops ;)

Wasn't the biggest Pied Wagtail roost in Newton Abbot, Devon? I can't remember the numbers, but it was a hell of a lot. I remember seeing a good few hundred in Camberley outside the shopping centre and also spending several hours a day just looking at a flock of maybe 200 over Frimley Park Hospital when they kicked all the new dads out for mother's nap time.
We get maybe 150 White Wagtails roosting almost in the city centre in Bern in the Winter, but I've only seen them once this year. They get very excited about Pied Wagtails here. The Swiss records committee just accepted the 9th and 10th records for Switzerland.

I have been reading through this thread to see if anyone had mentioned Newton Abbot, Devon.
Yes, Colonelboris, they did say that & Bill Oddie went there. I have also been there, it was an amazing sight.
I don't know if they are still there, anyone?

Yeah, it's the last tree before Monson Road and Camden Road. It's definitely worth delaying the shopping trip until late afternoon.

I've noticed the ground just there is er...lighter coloured than elsewhere Joanne, but kind of assumed it was from feral pigeons. Looks like it's quite a spectacle from your pics, so must check that out! They're going to have a Wassup? moment on Christmas night I reckon :>)

Al

Up to 5 years ago I worked on chemical plants. We had a Pied Wagtail Roost on the last one I worked on and it numbered probably 200 birds. The exact location varied along the pipe bridges but quite often was along a gantry that I needed to access during the night as part of my job. So I'd often find myself tiptoeing through a wagtail roost in the middle of a winters night and could quite easily have picked one up. Chaos obviously ensued if they ever woke but fortunately for themthe whole area was floodlit so they just moved a few metres along the pipetrack. Once cornered a ringed wagtail in an office, turned out to be only the third record of a French Pied Wagtail to turn up in the UK.

That must be one of the most unnatural roosts ever Jim......kind of amazing at how adaptable to human environments they are!

joanne

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back