• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pied Wagtails Roosting (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Last night whilst in town I heard a lot of birds calling in a tree and looked up and saw lots of Pied Wagtails roosting for the night . Never seen it before but it was exciting anyone else seen it before?

Last night whilst in town I heard a lot of birds calling in a tree and looked up and saw lots of Pied Wagtails roosting for the night . Never seen it before but it was exciting anyone else seen it before?
Here in Llandudno we have a roost in some Cordylline palm trees on a mini roundabout.
I love watching them, it gives me a real buzz seeing these tiny things going about their life, despite the occasional funny look from passers by who are totally unaware of this congregation of wild birds in the town centre. I really must go and check them out.
I'm always surprised by how exposed and windy it is though, quite open to the prevailing westerly gales. 🐦

It might be worth checking the roost for any White Wagtails...
MJB

There’s a services on my way home from work that seems to be close to 4 figures on winters evenings. It’s amazing to see

There are a couple of threads on here about Pied Wagtail roosts - I remember one of a couple thousand in a supermarket car park back when I lived in Somerset.

It might be worth checking the roost for any White Wagtails...
MJB

Probably not the easiest thing to do at night/weird lighting conditions/hidden in foliage, even if there were lots of birds to check??!!

Years ago I worked a chemical firm in Castleford hundreds would roost in the boiler house during the winter.

About ten years ago there were 1400 roosting in Woking. The council removed the trees - I think get rid of the birds (which were causing a lot of mess on the pavement below). Birds then rooster in the nearby multi-storey car park, but numbers have never seemed to recover. A great shame in my opinion.

A roost of up to 70 Pied Wagtail used to be a common sight in the Kendal town centre trees- until the council chopped them down for no good reason. The trees were an important habitat for them. This is the same council which claims nature and the environment is important to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back