• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Planning NM trip (1 Viewer)

Any birders out there with experience with Albuquerque south to El Paso in the winter months?/QUOTE]

Steve: Hueco Tanks east of El Paso has a nice assortment of desert birds, though I've heard that access is now rationed a bit more than in the old days when I last visited (it's very popular with rock climbers, esp in winter).

If you're in that area, I'd also recommend almost any place in Guadalupe Mountains NP. During winter with limited time consider the trail system originating at Frijole Ranch, and with a bit more time McKittrick Canyon.

Gary H

Steve, you may be aware that there are two location guides available for NM, one for the entire state and the other for greater Albuquerque. Right next to A is a small mountain range with some interesting winter visitors (rosy fincles)

Niels

You will definitely want to check out the Rosy Finches (3 species) that are winter regulars on Sandia Crest, east of downtown Albuquerque. See:

http://www.rosyfinch.com/

If you have time to travel elsewhere in NM, there are good spots in other locations.

Last edited:
Steve: Hueco Tanks east of El Paso has a nice assortment of desert birds, though I've heard that access is now rationed a bit more than in the old days when I last visited (it's very popular with rock climbers, esp in winter).

If you're in that area, I'd also recommend almost any place in Guadalupe Mountains NP. During winter with limited time consider the trail system originating at Frijole Ranch, and with a bit more time McKittrick Canyon.

Gary H

Thanks, Gary. I saw Hueco Tanks while perusing through eBird reports. Long-eared Owl Has been reported there in December. That certainly would be a easterly drive. It we have to do some rock-climbing to blend in, well so be it. We're talking life bird here! No obstacle to great, right?

Both Guadalupe and Carlsbad may be a bit out of reach, depending on time we have and time we spend getting to El Paso. But we'll keep them somewhere on the list.

Steve

Steve, you may be aware that there are two location guides available for NM, one for the entire state and the other for greater Albuquerque. Right next to A is a small mountain range with some interesting winter visitors (rosy fincles)

Niels
Thanks, Niels. Though eBird was my first choice to work on locations for target birds, I did think to search for bird-finding guides. The third edition book by Parmeter, Neville and Emkains was published in 2002, no updated version that I can find though there are a few additions online. It still may have some value but for now I am depending on eBird and Birding Pal contacts for recent information.
The Albuquerque guide you are refering to is probably "Birding Hot Spots of Central New Mexico" by Liddell and Hussey. Since we think we'll be spending a good deal of time in that area, that book might be a better choice.

Steve

You will definitely want to check out the Rosy Finches (3 species) that are winter regulars on Sandia Crest, east of downtown Albuquerque. See:

http://www.rosyfinch.com/

If you have time to travel elsewhere in NM, there are good spots in other locations.

Thanks, WPGu. That location stood out when I began searching for winter birding in NM. Two of the Rosy-Finches we've never seen before and the the third, only once, in Colorado at 12,500 feet on a below freezing, breezy and gray morning. Sandia Crest looks to be a repeat of that situation but one has to go when and where the birds may be or take up bowling instead.
So, Sandia Crest is tops on our list of locations to visit.

Steve

You're welcome. When you get back, please let us know how it went.

BTW, don't forget Bosque del Apache NWR. It's on your way from Ab'q to El Paso and considered a great hotspot.

I just re-read your response re. Sandia Crest. Unless something has changed in recent history, your birding experience there will be nothing like the Colorado experience. At the crest you can sit in a warm cozy restaurant and see the Rosy Finches at a feeder out the window. :)

Just curious, where in Colorado did you see Rosy Finches?

You're welcome. When you get back, please let us know how it went.

BTW, don't forget Bosque del Apache NWR. It's on your way from Ab'q to El Paso and considered a great hotspot.

We have a friend who worked there years ago and always meant to visit. I guess we're finally finished with our procrastinations. We hope to spend a couple of days there as one of the major points of interest.

Steve

I just re-read your response re. Sandia Crest. Unless something has changed in recent history, your birding experience there will be nothing like the Colorado experience. At the crest you can sit in a warm cozy restaurant and see the Rosy Finches at a feeder out the window. :)

Just curious, where in Colorado did you see Rosy Finches?

Didn't take the research far enough to find out that fact about Sandia Crest. Sounds great; I see no reason to suffer for every life bird!

We were on Mt. Evans, southwest of Denver. It has the highest or maybe one of the highest paved roads in the US, somewhere around of 14,000 ft. We were looking for White-tailed Ptarmigan and/or the Brown-capped Rosy-Finch. One out of two was what we got. W-t Ptarmigan is still on our wish list.

Steve

I'm surprised more people don't Bird NM as there is some nice birding here (I'm in ABQ at the moment). In winter I would suggest visiting Sandia Crest, Bosque del Apache then drive to Portal / Cave Creek (just inside AZ) and possibly whitewater draw. A nice route would be to fly in to ABQ and out of PHX that way you can visit the other SE AZ sites. Distances in NM can be covered quite quickly and typically you don't have to worry about traffic.
BTW the Rio grande nature center can also be worth a visit and there are other hotspots for various species dotted around ABQ and NM - ebird is your best resource. but also listserve is worth a look.
I've seen W-T Ptarmigan from the road at Loveland pass SW of Denver and this is apparently one of the easiest places to see them.
http://ebird.org/ebird/map/whtpta1?...332&env.maxX=-103.001&env.maxY=36.999&gp=true

Mike-
At one time, we considered flying into ABQ and leaving via El Paso. In favor of staying in fewer places for longer periods, we are not going that far south and will be returning to ABQ to fly out. We have visited Portal, AZ, though not in winter.
We intend on visiting the Rio Grande Nature Center while in ABQ. With several days there, our visit should allow time for the Petroglyph National Monument, Sandia Crest more than once and a few of the smaller parks in and around the city.
We are now planning on several days in Socorro to visit Bosque del Apache but also nearby Sevilleta NWR. There are grasslands in the latter that may hold Sage Sparrow and Chestnut-colored Longspur. We feel that Apache deserves more than a single day because it's a big place and who knows if we'll ever be back that way?
On the southeastern outskirts of the Gila National Forest is Black Range Lodge, (http://www.blackrangelodge.com), where we hope to spend two or three days in a more forested location for birds like Western Screech Owl, Olive Warbler and Pinyon Jay.
I am already sold on eBird for birding locations on any trip we plan and have spent much time researching our target birds. The main concern we have now is the cold weather. One can only put so many pairs of gloves on and operate the bins!

Steve

Hey, Niels-
You mentioned those two guides in your August post here but I tend to agree with this post that showed up in the link in your last post:

eBird will supply you with recent sightings, seasonal distribution, and the most recent records of birds you'd really like to see. As stated, the AZ/NM listserve will have some reports, but AZ reports generally outnumber NM reports 10 to 1.

For myself, eBird gives the most up-to-date information of what's to be seen when birding a new area in the ABA region. I'm a huge fan of the printed page, but things are outdated from the moment they're published these days, it seems.

Still, with a publication date of 2011, I am considering the Albuquerque guide. I'll need something to read on the flight there!

Steve

Steve,
Regarding bosque del apache: I always try to be the first person into bosque del apache when I go and I use a torch. That way I more often than not pick up bobcat on my first run round the circuit - you really need to look down all the tracks on the southern end and the seasonal roads for bobcat. Mountain Lion also frequent the reserve (most sightings are on the north 1/2 of the reserve)- I've never seen one there though (apparently I missed one by not looking up in a tree above some Javlinas that I was watching about 40 ft away). There are particular fields on the North end that the geese fly into in the early morning. Most people go to the flight deck but I think the best place to be is maybe a mile north - near the turn off to the temporary access north loop.

Western Screech Owls are fairly common in NM- there are a pair at RGNC that will come in if you call them - but they are in many places. BTW a few porcupines favor sleeping in particular trees at RGNC and along the bike path.

Chestnut-colored Longspur occurs with fairly good regularity in winter at an airfield on the west of ABQ - see ebird.

NM has some good spots for Pinion Jay. They are quite nomadic though and I've never seen them in ABQ - may be worth going to 'the box' west of Socorro for that species, the box also holds canyon and rock wren.

At Sandia Crest, all 3 rosy finch species (and a couple of sub-species) are often easy around the gift center but they tend to come and go and you might have to wait 1/2 an hour or so before a flock comes in. Early morning is best and there is also a spot for crossbills (see e-bird) on the way up. Frequently in winter you need a 4x4 to get to the top and you may want to call the forestry service (I don't have their number to hand) to get the latest road conditions if you are thinking of going up in a 2wd car.

Hey, Niels-
You mentioned those two guides in your August post here but I tend to agree with this post that showed up in the link in your last post:

eBird will supply you with recent sightings, seasonal distribution, and the most recent records of birds you'd really like to see. As stated, the AZ/NM listserve will have some reports, but AZ reports generally outnumber NM reports 10 to 1.

For myself, eBird gives the most up-to-date information of what's to be seen when birding a new area in the ABA region. I'm a huge fan of the printed page, but things are outdated from the moment they're published these days, it seems.

Still, with a publication date of 2011, I am considering the Albuquerque guide. I'll need something to read on the flight there!

Steve

Steve, having used all of the above, I still feel there is value in "where to watch" books. Ebird can (if I am chasing a few species) tell me hotspots where they occur, but access details of those hotspots are available in the books. On my visit a couple of years ago, I had good use of both ebird and the books.

Niels

I lived in Albuquerque for 4 years, and though I'm more of a hobbyist and sporadic birder, I spent lots of time at my two favorite spots: the Rio Grande Nature Center and Bosque del Apache. Of the two, Bosque del Apache provided an excellent experience whenever I visited. I know that Tingley Beach has had some less common waterfowl/loons on occasion, and of course at Sandia Crest you're almost guaranteed to see your Rosy-finches if you travel at the right time. The Elena Gallegos city park and other places in the Sandia foothills are good for some species that you don't typically see at the Rio Grande N.C. The Petroglyph National Monument is supposed to be good for desert species, but my luck hasn't been so great (I haven't done any early morning birding there either).
There's several seasoned borders at the Rio Grande Nature Center, and if you go on one of their weekend morning bird walks (I think at 8:30), you can get a lot of up-to-date and expert advice.
"Birding Hotspots of Central New Mexico" is an excellent guide.

Mike -
Great, specific information. A bobcat is always a welcome sighting. We used to see them occasionally in the area around our house but nearby housing developments have encroached on their habitat and likely reduced their numbers. Mountain lion would be a first! The Screech-Owl is one we have had fly just few feet over our head or call from a very close location but we've never actually laid eyes on one. Porcupine is not a mammal we've seen often. Poor looks at an unmoving gray ball or far off scope views, as I remember.

Wold the airport you are referring to be on the other side of Petroglyphs Park? I'm not picking it out on eBird.

I hadn't heard of the "box" before but found it through a Google search and on eBird. I don't see Pinyon Jay reported in the last five years in December. Still, Rock Wren is not a new bird but we've very few of them and no trip to the west is complete without the wonderful song of the Canyon Wren. Looking forward to hearing that sound.

Access to Sandia Crest is something we wondered about. Considering the elevation and the time of year, one would have to think driving there has the potential for being hazardous. We're not likely to rent a 4-wheel drive for our trip and the Rosy-Finches are right at the top of our list of target birds so we will pay close attention to making sure that part of our plan actually happens, whatever it takes.

Thanks for all those tips. They are much appreciated!

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back